Input on buying a resonator ukulele

Ken Swagger

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a resonator uke in the next few weeks. I play uke in a country gospel band and we busk and play street corners alot, the banjo always drowns out my uke and i wanna fight back with something sweet and a lot of bark. I played a National and fell in love, but it is waaaaaay outta my budget. I'm thinking of getting this one by The Recording King

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/UK998.htm

Or else a Johnson like this

http://www.instrumentalsavings.com/Johnson-Metal-Body-Ukulele-Resonator-Guitar-p/ml-uk-998.htm

Both are right around $300. I'm not partial to these brands and am looking for a good instrument around that price. Any suggestions or feedback would be awesome. I don't know of any music stores nearby I could go play one and am probably gonna have to order of the internet. Thank you!

I had a Nashville Concert Resonator! I sold it to a fellow ukulele underground member "Pat"
I bought it for 400 and sold it for like 200 something?
Umm feed back? in my opinion, i dont like the sound of it. I'd rather the whole mellow "wooden" sound of a hollow ukulele than a uke that has a vibrating plate in it.

Well basically you need to consider a couple of things...

Q: Is this going to be your daily ukulele?

I remembered it being quite heavy aswell.
I shipped it to Pat and he made a review of it.
check it out here

I think for 300-400 you can buy a solid wood kPk Acicia ukulele and get a fisherman installed for about the same price.
I hope i dont steer you away from it man..
Let us know if you end up getting it

Cheers

I had a Nashville Concert Resonator! I sold it to a fellow ukulele underground member "Pat"
I bought it for 400 and sold it for like 200 something?
Umm feed back? in my opinion, i dont like the sound of it. I'd rather the whole mellow "wooden" sound of a hollow ukulele than a uke that has a vibrating plate in it.

Well basically you need to consider a couple of things...

Q: Is this going to be your daily ukulele?

I remembered it being quite heavy aswell.
I shipped it to Pat and he made a review of it.
check it out here

I think for 300-400 you can buy a solid wood kPk Acicia ukulele and get a fisherman installed for about the same price.
I hope i dont steer you away from it man..
Let us know if you end up getting it

Cheers

I'll still keep my old regular wooden ukulele and plan on upgrading to a new one of those soon as well. I want a resonator cuz I busk with a really loud rowdy band and noone can hear my poor uke. Of course I'll go back and forthe between the two, I just want a little something different for my second uke.

Just a prototype...

ResoHula.jpg

and hear it:

Going out of tune coz of the new strings on it... Will be in production next year!

Something to consider...

Just checking, but, what size is your uke? If you're playing a soprano and it's not loud enough, maybe you don't need a resonator, maybe you just need a tenor--they do tend to be louder.

Top Bottom