I blame all of you

AcousticBuckeye

Reaction score
Just ordered this baby along with the 'From Lute to Uke' book. Can't wait...

ubtrp.jpg

The twenty-four pieces in Lute to Uke will certainly keep your fingers busy AB. I love your new baby. What is the make please.?
Jim

Description:
From Lute To Uke: Early Music For Ukulele is a collection of 24 pieces of early lute music brilliantly arranged for the ukulele by classical guitarist and uke player, Tony Mizen. All arrangements are for GCEA-tuning and include ukulele tablature as well as music notation. A CD is included with delightful performances of all the arrangements by Mr. Mizen, which is enjoyable listening all by itself. Also featured is a brief history of the lute and each of the individual pieces. A Jumpin’ Jim’s Ukulele Songbook. 48 pages. PLEASE NOTE: You can hear 5 of the tracks on the CD in the Jukebox section of the site: http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/jukebox/default.asp

Song List:
Bear Dance
Schiarazula Marazula
Orlando Sleepeth
Pavana
Bransle de Champagne
My Lord Willoughby's Welcome Home
Les Bouffons
Mr Dowland's Midnight
Der Haupff Auff
Welscher Tanz
Allemande
Round Battle Galliard
Kemp's Jig
Pastime With Good Company
Tarleton's Resurrection
Ballett
La Volta
Cancion del Emperador
Almayne
Melancholy Galliard
A Toy
The Shoemaker's Wife
Bransle de la Royne
Allemande (My Lady Hunssdon's Puffe)

I have that book and really like it. Bear Dance, Schiarazula Marazula, Les Bouffons, and La Volta are the ones I'm working on. All easy enough for beginners and nice little melodies too.

Now I'm jonesing for a Baroqulele to go with. Just because...it's so cool. Did you get the tenor size? I'd love to know what you think of it when it arrives.

I have that book and really like it. Bear Dance, Schiarazula Marazula, Les Bouffons, and La Volta are the ones I'm working on. All easy enough for beginners and nice little melodies too.
I really like Lute to Uke, too. The arrangements are easier to play than most of John King's.

In a similar vein, you might like these for Renaissance/Classical.

Jamie Holding's site has some nice free arrangements and I've bought several of his e-books.

http://sites.google.com/site/classicalukulelearrangements/Home

Michael Parmenter's site is a goldmine for Renaissance stuff. His PDFs are usually tab-only, but he also offers TEF files and you can download the free TablEdit viewer and print them with standard notation as well.

http://ukeclassicaltabs.blogspot.com

Now I'm jonesing for a Baroqulele to go with. Just because...it's so cool. Did you get the tenor size? I'd love to know what you think of it when it arrives.
I have a tenor Baroqulele. Definitely has the coolness factor going for it. It's pretty well made (although I think the bridge is rather cheezy) and plays/sounds decent. But at the end of the day, it's just an uke made to look like something different. At that price point, I would say a Mainland is actually a better value.

Part of its charm is its unique rounded bowl-back shape, but that's also a drawback in my book. It is really hard to hold steady. Comes with a nice wooden strap button installed, and you really do need a strap with it (I used a bootlace). Even still, it tends to slide all over my gut. :eek:

Oooooh... I just ordered the book. This is awesome, thank you for sharing!

I have a tenor Baroqulele.../Part of its charm is its unique rounded bowl-back shape, but that's also a drawback in my book. It is really hard to hold steady. Comes with a nice wooden strap button installed, and you really do need a strap with it (I used a bootlace). Even still, it tends to slide all over my gut. :eek:

I used to play the Renaissance Lute. What Lute players do is to put a piece of "Chamois" or suede type leather skin on your right knee (if you are a right handed player). This will prevent the Baroqulele from sliding left or right. :)

Top Bottom