setup- essential?

de24

Reaction score
Hello All,

New to the uke and so excited to get started. All thanks to that band called Beirut.

Question- how essential is setup on a new uke? I play mandolin and it is essential on a mando, especially a cheaper model/brand. I'm looking at a Kala from MGM on eBay but they've got the same here at a local shop in San Diego (Old Time Music) and I wouldn't have to pay shipping.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin in SD

An uke is no different than any other stringed instrument. Setup is really important. There are some production ukes that are so difficult to play it's no wonder there are some out there who think ukes are toys. I've read lots of praise on MGM and the time he takes to setup ukes he sells. If you can do your own setup, then go ahead and find a deal near you, that way you can play the instrument yourself. If you won't do your own setup and may need it after purchasing the uke, consider the extra charges there.

I bought a cheap guitar from a local shop who offers lifetime help with minor adjustments. They recently adjusted the neck, talk about night and day. Makes playing much more enjoyable. Whether it's a lanikai or a custom, playability is priority, after all, we all want to play it right? Welcome to UU and the world of ukes. Strum on my friend! Aloha!

I suspected as much.

And what about a Flea? Do those require the same type of setup? It seems they are pretty unique in their own right.

Oh, and if anyone wants to weigh in on:

Lanikai LU21 from Ukulele4u
Kala 15S or KA-S from MGM
Makala Starter pack from MGM

I've got a decision to make. But also loving a local Flea (blue) I played yesterday for $135.

Thanks again to everyone reading. I know it's not always fun helping a noobie.

-Kevin

I think it also depends on the brand of uke you are buying. I've bought Kala's 2 separate times from a local music shop "off the shelf" so to speak and the action and playability have been just as good as a Kala I bought from MGM. I did restring them (to aquila's) and dressed the frets myself but other than that they were totally fine.

I have the KA-S (2 of them) and a Flea, like them both, the Flea's strings are lower so it makes it a little easier to finger but the frets are LOW (plastic fretboard) so harder to find/feel.
The sound is way different but that is like comparing a truck to a car.

I personally like the geared tuners on my Kala's but like the beatability of the Flea and live with the Fleas tuners, I notice the Flea goes in and out of tune more has hot/cold/sunshine issues.

If moneys tight go KA-S if not get both.....

Never played a Lanikai LU21

The answer to that really comes down to personal preference. My preference is the traditional look.

Top Bottom