Anyone Else Like Gig-Bags?

Paul December

Reaction score
One thing I really like of ukes over guitars are their portabilty...
...so while tweed or alligator embossed hard cases look cool, I prefer smaller gig bags. Unfortunately they are usually very cheaply made.
Anyone ever see better quality gig bags? :)

Checkout he Fusion gig bag.

Access makes a good one (albeit an expensivew one) as well. Both are available at Elderly.

Also the Steady gigbags over at UkeRepublic. They have nice handles and can be carried as a sling or backpack, and a velcro large removable adjustable neck support, and are a lot more durable than the average gigbag. Weatherproof enough that it holds in humidity from the humidifier.. basically just a great case.

I love the look of those Fusion gigbags, but the Steady has been really great.

I have a Gator case which I bought for around £20, its quite light and portable, and it provides sufficient protection against drops and nudges.

I have a Fusion gig bag for my tenor. Got it from Elderly. I think it's pretty nice for a relatively inexpensive gig bag, looks cool too!

My husband and I used gig bags exclusively for years. We got nice ones from MGM and Mainland Mike. We lived on a sailboat and had no room to store ukes in hard cases. Plus, we travelled during hurricane season, and our ukes, along with our cat, had to be small enough for carry-on. We needed to replace them periodically, as the corrosive sea air would make the zippers seize up, but we were used to that with everything, so it was no big deal.

Now that we live in the high desert, we had to switch to hard cases so we can keep our ukes adequately humidified.

The Steady gig bags are well made, have about ten of those incl double one, hard to find with their logo on it.. The Gator ones, higher price are a little nicer as the sides are more reinforced. I have seen some others but mostly pooly padded or no straps, big pockets etc. Need the TWEED gig bags BACK again. Look for bottom plate to keep the wear down

I used a tenor gig bag made by Kaces that I bought through uke republic, here's the link:

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/kaces-ukulele-bag

It's simple but very good, and with an Oasis humidifier in the soundhole of the uke, it keeps the RH% between 40-45. I would recommend it.

It seems tough to find a uke gigbag that does a decent job of protecting the instrument (eleukes bags for solid ukes are okay, but only for solid ukes). I've found that a good compromise is the uke crazy lightweight cases. Good protection, light weight, I just wish they had shoulder straps. I use a gigbag for my bass and it's great being able to pack it up on my back and have hands free for my pedalboard case and negotiating doors and whatnot.

So, yeah, if I could find a gigbag that would actually protect an acoustic uke I'd certainly give it a look.

Jhn

It's so hard to find the perfect gig bag, especially since we all probably want different things. I have a Uke Crazy, a Reunion Blues and the special limited edition Fusion bag. I don't use any of them because they are sort of big and heavy compared to the ukes they would hold. The bags I actually use to take my ukes to group sessions and even on a plane are a no-name padded gig bag I got from Mim and the Flea gig bag. I really like the gig bags that come with the Kala travel ukes and wish I could find bags with the same level of padding to fit other ukes (especially my Flea). I've been looking at the new Lanikai Sidekick line and may buy one of those.

Good luck with your search!

Nix

Top Bottom