Plucking all four strings- try it you'll like it

Kayak Jim

Reaction score
I've started moving beyond straight strumming and one of the techniques I am really enjoying is where all four strings are plucked simultaneously, followed by strums for the remaining beats. The song Today While the Blossoms Still Cling to the Vine is slow 3/4 time, has very easy chording but sounds great. It's a great motivator to extend practice beyond Boot Camp and the dozen strumming songs I'm working on. I highly recommend it for those at this stage.

The knack seems to be plucking all with same force (my A sting always rings quieter). Just more practice I guess.

Is there a term for the four string pluck (besides four string pluck)?

Jim B

This particular song lends itself well to the arpeggio style instead of a more chordlike pluck or strum. Also the T m T i on the 4th and 1st then 3rd and 2nd strings are an alternative. Also I like T on 4th i on 2nd T on 3rd and m on 1st. There are lots of variations and this song really sounds nice with fingerpicking.

I tend to pluck on 3/4 time songs (particularly on banjolele), but doing G and A simultaneously on the first beat and then C second beat E third beat. I will have to try all four at once!

Great one Kayak Jim! I like that "four string pluck" on 'Moonglow', and 'Fly Me To The Moon', makes um sound jazzy.
Also it makes your playing more dynamic. Thanks for the tip:D
Another way to give a song more dynamics is using finger picking patterns. Have you got into that? I learned a four note pluck, for 4/4 tunes and a six note pluck for 3/4 songs. Like 1931jim said;
There are lots of variations and this song really sounds nice with fingerpicking.
'Today While the Blossoms Still Cling to the Vine' Is a beautiful song, do you sing it too?
Thanks again for the tip on a great technique,
Don

Don

Thanks for the other ideas. I tried them briefly and am amazed how differently the same song can sound. As I said, increasing the variety of practices keeps it interesting for me. And I'm glad to have found a song that has a simple enough left hand that I can experiment with my right. Uncle Rod's Boot Camp and SET-UP are every day drills, then I like to have some fun.

Top Bottom