PDA

View Full Version : DeVine Uke's at Ukulele Pupua

uke4life
04-14-2012, 03:03 AM
NFI...Just a person who's loves Eric's work but can't afford on of these beautiful concerts...4 just came in this week..

http://www.hawaiianukuleleonline.com/hawaiianukulele/devineukulele.html

Trinimon
04-14-2012, 03:23 AM
I never get tired looking at Eric's ukeleles.

KimosTherapy
04-14-2012, 03:28 AM
NFI...Just a person who's loves Eric's work but can't afford on of these beautiful concerts...4 just came in this week..

http://www.hawaiianukuleleonline.com/hawaiianukulele/devineukulele.html

Ho, Bruddah Phil!

Mahalo for posting the link to Ukulele Puapua's site and their DeVine concert ukes that they have in stock!

Those DeVine ukes are GORGEOUS!!!:drool: Way out of my price range ... all I can do is dream. *sigh*

Aloha,

Kimo

uke4life
04-14-2012, 04:47 AM
Ho, Bruddah Phil!

Mahalo for posting the link to Ukulele Puapua's site and their DeVine concert ukes that they have in stock!

Those DeVine ukes are GORGEOUS!!!:drool: Way out of my price range ... all I can do is dream. *sigh*

Aloha,

Kimo

x2 fo sure!! But hopefully someone from UU will be able to snag one...

SuzukHammer
04-14-2012, 07:42 AM
Beautiful stuff.

Tigeralum2001
04-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Wow! I had no idea his ukes cost so much!

pulelehua
04-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Still can't get my head around it. I'd still rather have a Moore Bettah, a Da Silva, and crappy used car instead.

WOBster
04-14-2012, 11:00 AM
So elegantly built and so beautiful...

Tigeralum2001
04-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Still can't get my head around it. I'd still rather have a Moore Bettah, a Da Silva, and crappy used car instead.
+1 for the Moore Bettah. I'm sure the DeVine is a divine uke, but my heart longs for a Moore Bettah.

mm stan
04-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Looks Devine...Did he raise his prices...I thought someone mentioned his ukes were in the 3500 range...what happened??? I really want one...but Sticker Shocked...now

uke4life
04-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Looks Devine...Did he raise his prices...I thought someone mentioned his ukes were in the 3500 range...what happened??? I really want one...but Sticker Shocked...now

That's what I was thinking and hoping for...But that was a Huuuuuuggggeeee price jump...

UK Paulie
04-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Just priced up a uke the same as the one on the left on Erics site and its $3550 so....dunno...his prices dont seem to have gone up......

Hippie Dribble
04-14-2012, 01:04 PM
hmmm...6000....I could buy a Moore Bettah, a CollingsUC3 and a Mya Moe classic and have a bit left over for fish and chips. :p

mm stan
04-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Dat price listed would put me in the Pua(Poor) house....in fact no house...:(

uke4life
04-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Dat price listed would put me in the Pua(Poor) house....in fact no house...:(

and for me divorce court too!!!! :eek:

Patrick Madsen
04-14-2012, 03:38 PM
The price may be higher due to it's sold from a music store and not directly from Erick. I have a friend turning 80 and went to Maui to visit Erick and pick out the wood for his Devine. Trustfully it will be done by November. He picked some nice wood he said and was around 4g's.

808boy
04-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Aloha,
Divine ukulele is at the TOP of my wish list, not into the Blingy ones. Will visit with Eric soon and maybe ask if he has a Layaway Plan,hehe. Played one at Pua2 a few months ago and the sound WAS DIVINE. Super light weight and you could feel the vibrations of the soundboard.....nothing there could compare with it. Love the beauty and simplicity of them..........................................BO.. ...........................

Drew Bear
04-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Here's the price list from Eric's site:

Baritone Kasha ukulele
$3700

Tenor Kasha ukulele
$3500

Concert Kasha ukulele
$3300

All base model Ukuleles include the following:

Kasha/Muse bracing
curly Koa back & sides
your choice of matching koa, cedar, or Engelmann Spruce top
Honduran Mahogany neck
Carbon Fiber neck rod
Ebony fingerboard & bridge
Radiused Fretboard
Side Soundport
Mother of Pearl or abalone fretboard dots on face and side
choice of Koa, Ebony or Maple binding on the body and fretboard
Waverly open back machine tuners
Aquila strings
and a custom Ameritage hardshell case.

http://devineguitars.com/prices-devine-guitars-ukuleles-from-hawaii.html (http://devineguitars.com/prices-devine-guitars-ukuleles-from-hawaii.html)

maclay
04-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Eric makes some of the nicest ukuleles out there, and most people don't realize the amount of work that goes into making an instrument like that. I think they are worth the price.

joejeweler
04-14-2012, 06:40 PM

Similar thoughts crossed my mind,....except more like THREE Moore Bettah ukuleles! :D

Beautiful ukes though,.....simply "DeVine". Buying from a music store definately costs you more. They gotta eat too!

Dan Uke
04-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Puapua is known to charge more than retail price. GX9001 bought his Martin and paid a premium. Koaloha sells their ukes directly at the same price as the MSRP. They do give discounts on factory seconds.

pakhan
04-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Buying from a music store definately costs you more. They gotta eat too!

I find most the time, buying from a store or dealer will cost you the same, unless it was something unusual or special.

hawaii 50
04-15-2012, 12:15 PM
aloha jake ...i hear you are real good to... ...and i have ordered a koa devine...eric real nice guy to work with and just by talking with him i can tell he puts alot of himself into building beautiful ukuleles.. it is an art...not to many people can do want you both do....thanks in advance....

Eric makes some of the nicest ukuleles out there, and most people don't realize the amount of work that goes into making an instrument like that. I think they are worth the price.

keliiyama
04-15-2012, 12:56 PM
aloha jake ...i hear you are real good to..i have a koa compass rose being built right now..i hope you are working on it ...and i have ordered a koa devine...eric real nice guy to work with and just by talking with him i can tell he puts alot of himself into building beautiful ukuleles.. it is an art...not to many people can do want you both do....thanks in advance....

Aloha, you have a real sweet tooth for ukes. A Compass Rose, and you have a Devine in the shute. I have a secret build in the works. He's a master luthier who uses a hybrid Kasha system that shocked and amazed Dr. Kasha himself. I won't spoil who he is till my ukulele comes in. Pua Pua loves to jack the prices high. Though I agree with Jake, it's worth it. Just check out Erics figured Brazilian that's going on a future ukulele. DANG!!!! And if you think that's expensive, just check out a Kevin Ryan Guitar:)

uke4life
04-15-2012, 02:01 PM
And if you think that's expensive, just check out a Kevin Ryan Guitar:)

You ain't seen nothing in regards to serious cash for instruments till you've checked out and played: Olson acoustic guitars, Hauser classical guitars and Dudenbostel mandolins...Excellent instruments but I for sure would be divorced if I got one or even thought about getting one...LOL

joejeweler
04-15-2012, 06:01 PM
I find most the time, buying from a store or dealer will cost you the same, unless it was something unusual or special.

Not in this case it would seem. A custom individually luthiered instrument has a "bass" cost from which the builder cannot go lower,..or the profit margin and a fair wage for his work does not justify the effort and sale. A dealer "might" get a slightly lower wholesale pricing,....but no guarentee there either.

Some builder's work is in such demand it doesn't much matter. Any price add-on at the dealer's end can be justified by ready access to a finished instrument without the usual 6 months or more wait. That has value. A Moore Bettah or DeVine uke are in that catagory,......and i would not hesitate on paying more for a ready instrument that was in a scale i wanted/needed. Also, some of the high demand builders have not been taking new build orders since their schedule is full for a few years out, so buying an in stock instrument from a dealer might be your only shot for the forseeable future,...even at a higher cost.

keliiyama
04-15-2012, 09:20 PM
You ain't seen nothing in regards to serious cash for instruments till you've checked out and played: Olson acoustic guitars, Hauser classical guitars and Dudenbostel mandolins...Excellent instruments but I for sure would be divorced if I got one or even thought about getting one...LOL

Well obviously considering the two last brands are antiques..... and a Kevin Ryan guitar goes for $27,000+. That is not cheap. Olsens go for $13,000-$20,000. Not only that but Kevin's guitars win best in show at NAMM for almost the last decade:)

Anyways Devine's ukulele are beautiful. The grain he uses are almost legendary. In the ukulele world, NO ONE can equal his wood quality. Getting mastergrade curly koa is a piece of cake. Getting mastergrade Brazilian, A. Blackwood with sap wood, or mastergrade cuban mahogany is another story.

pakhan
04-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Oh yeah, Ryan is spendy as is Traugott and Somogyi. I am lucky to have a Dudenbostel from some time back so am settled.

I think it's not just the materials, I know a few builders who have stocks of wood as good as I have seen on Devines, but it is the way they are put together and harmonised that is truly exceptional. Of course, when you factor in Kimo Hussey's playing, it's an unbeatable combination.

Terence

hawaii 50
04-16-2012, 07:41 AM
aloha to you again yep i also have a tony graziano ... ...it will be worth the wait...do you know the best ukulele teachers on oahu ?? i need some real lessons///thanks
Aloha, you have a real sweet tooth for ukes. A Compass Rose, and you have a Devine in the shute. I have a secret build in the works. He's a master luthier who uses a hybrid Kasha system that shocked and amazed Dr. Kasha himself. I won't spoil who he is till my ukulele comes in. Pua Pua loves to jack the prices high. Though I agree with Jake, it's worth it. Just check out Erics figured Brazilian that's going on a future ukulele. DANG!!!! And if you think that's expensive, just check out a Kevin Ryan Guitar:)

fumanshu
04-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Man these ukes are awesome...but at that price...seriously, I'm really not sure that it can blast my LFDM....and believe me, the LFDM that I have has insane work on it and sound awesome also....

But for sure, those Devine are awesome...

ukulelepuapua
04-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Hey thanks all for putting this topic out there! We have gotten so many wonderful ukes in that I hadnt had a chance to post and let yall know they are on the site! Please let me know if you have any questions. Video demonstrations should be up shortly.

Not in this case it would seem. A custom individually luthiered instrument has a "bass" cost from which the builder cannot go lower,..or the profit margin and a fair wage for his work does not justify the effort and sale. A dealer "might" get a slightly lower wholesale pricing,....but no guarentee there either.

Some builder's work is in such demand it doesn't much matter. Any price add-on at the dealer's end can be justified by ready access to a finished instrument without the usual 6 months or more wait. That has value. A Moore Bettah or DeVine uke are in that catagory,......and i would not hesitate on paying more for a ready instrument that was in a scale i wanted/needed. Also, some of the high demand builders have not been taking new build orders since their schedule is full for a few years out, so buying an in stock instrument from a dealer might be your only shot for the forseeable future,...even at a higher cost.

You said the words I couldnt find! Thanks Joe.