PDA

View Full Version : Nothing's Moore Bettah than a new uke day!

Canoe Lady
04-14-2012, 09:08 AM
I received word yesterday that I had a package at the post office, but the carrier had already gone out for the day. Would I like to pick it up or wait until tomorrow's delivery?? I live about 15 miles from the post office, but pass by pretty closely on my way to work, so of course I said I would pick it up. Duh.

I was so excited as I signed for the box, but now I had a 40 minute drive to get to a place where I could safely open it. I have a friend who doesn't live too far from work, so I stopped at her house. Her husband met me at the door and assisted me in opening the box. I think he had as much anticipation as me. He dabbles in woodwork himself.

When we finally opened the case, we both just said, "wow". Words are inadequate. This ukulele is soooo much more amazing in person that in the photos. It is lighter than I thought it would be, extremely well balanced. Smooth, silky almost, sexy.

I am not going to post a full review....It sounds fabulous and I hope to someday to actually be a good enough player to deserve this instrument. I think you all know how awesome Chuck's ukes are. What some of you may not know is how completely awesome he is as a person and how wonderful he makes this whole process. He kept me informed and sent weekly updates with pics. He is funny (but not as funny as he thinks he is :) ), and just a pleasure to do business with. If I ever thought I needed another ukulele (which I can't imagine after getting this one) I would be honored to be able to get back on the waiting list.

The images will explain the uke details pretty well. The koa just shimmers, almost moves in the light.

The inlay has a personal meaning to me.
The Sun: When I was a child, my family took an annual vacation to a resort on a lake in Northern Wisconsin called Sunset Resort. Years later, I am lucky to be living at that place, a place where family memories continue to be made.
Water: I love all things water. Being on or near water (or sometimes under it with scuba) is very restorative to my soul. Having a rough day? Head out in the kayak for a few hours, swim to the center of the lake and float on your back watching the sky. Guaranteed to come back to solid land refreshed and ready to tackle the next obstacle.
And the Honu: The honu represents longevity, peace, good luck, humility, long life and the spirit within. I have a honu tattoo, so it was only fitting he takes a place of honor on the uke.

Oh, and Chuck added the plumeria because he knows I just love them. My favorite flower and one I photograph often when I am on the Islands.

Enough words already, you say? Bring on the pics? Here they are:

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/drupnow/c-2.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/drupnow/aaa-2.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/drupnow/aaaa-3.jpg

Canoe Lady
04-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Here are a few more:

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/drupnow/aa-2.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/drupnow/ccc.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/drupnow/a-2.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/drupnow/bb-3.jpg

uke4life
04-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Simply beautiful....Congrats on the new uke...Chuck was mailing out presents this week for sure...I'm assuming that is a soprano?

Canoe Lady
04-14-2012, 09:12 AM
I tried to show the inlay, but I cannot adequately convey how liquid it seems:
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/drupnow/cc.jpg

I am just thrilled beyond words!

Loz
04-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Beautiful uke, congrats!

KimosTherapy
04-14-2012, 09:15 AM
CONGRATS on your GORGEOUS new Moore Bettah uke!!! She's a BEAUTY!!!

Mahalo for sharing!

Canoe Lady
04-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Simply beautiful....Congrats on the new uke...Chuck was mailing out presents this week for sure...I'm assuming that is a soprano?

Yep, a soprano. I seem to love that size the best. Thanks!

Dan Uke
04-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Wow...MBU are just a joy to look at. Don't forget to play it too!!

mm stan
04-14-2012, 09:19 AM
WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW.....Congratulations on your New Moore Bettah...It is stunning beautiful...I just got up and Now I wish I can get one..You Lucky Lucky Gal..
Thank you for sharing...I am sure you will have many many many years of enjoyment out of Chuck's beautiful creation..Happy Strummings..
Praying and wishing for a Moore Bettah ukulele day too...

imabuddha
04-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Wow, so amazing! Love the turquoise honu inlay, it reminds me of the art nouveau tenor. My dream uke would be a custom Moore Bettah pineapple (or tenor).

Congratulations! You've got a fantastic new lifetime music partner/muse. :D

Drew Bear
04-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Stan beat me to it. WOW to the nth degree!! From a certain angle that plumeria looks real. Congratulations!

mm stan
04-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Have You named her yet?? seems very appropiate to do so....Honu Girl???? hee hee
You must be playing your uke now...I would...no time to update your signature..hee hee
Chuck's works always takes my breath away.....:iwant::drool:

erivel
04-14-2012, 09:42 AM
That is so beautiful! Congrats!!

AKuker
04-14-2012, 09:44 AM
That is simply stunning! I know you'll enjoy it.

pulelehua
04-14-2012, 10:02 AM
That honu is actually swimming!

Freeda
04-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Just lovely.

kvehe
04-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Absolutely stunning! It makes me want to walk out of my office right now and go home and practice, practice, practice, so that one day I will be worthy of such a beautiful piece of art! Congratulations!

GinnyT11
04-14-2012, 11:02 AM
It stops the breath, it is so beautiful! And lovely photos of it too!

I especially like how integrated the symbolism is---your icons and memories, and Chuck's Hawaiian-izing them. What a wonderful day for you!

I'm looking forward to seeing a youtube of you playing it---not just a recording---so we can see how you hold it too. What a treasure!

costaricadave
04-14-2012, 11:04 AM
WOW!! Chuck is awesome!!

dkcrown
04-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Aloha Canoe Lady. Congratulations on taking receipt of your new MB. It is wonderful to have something of personal meaning that Chuck could include in his work of art for you. I am fortunate enough to know what you mean about pictures not being able to capture the true beauty and subtleties of Chuck's ukes. The way that the light refracts off the koa and inlay materials as the uke is shifted is just stunning. And how about the playability and sound? After you get past the fear of putting even a tiny mark on it and start to really put it through its paces, you will continue to be be amazed at how it evolves.

The only downside to finally taking delivery of your custom from Chuck is that the entire process has now ended. The communication, weekly updates, wise ass give and take that is all part of having Chuck build you a custom uke, makes your daily routine easier to take. Enjoy your new beauty!

wickedwahine11
04-14-2012, 11:17 AM
That is really beautiful. I am quite jealous. I think your honu is my favorite of the Chuck headstocks I have seen. I will probably never be fortunate enough to get a Moore Bettah of my own, so I am living vicariously through you Moore Bettah owners. Enjoy!

vanflynn
04-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Stunning. I'm sure you two will make much beautiful music together. The plumeria is a tasty touch.

AcousticBuckeye
04-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Very Very nice

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Now I can't take all the credit. CanoeLady knew what she wanted, and being an artist herself she sent me a few drawings of themes she had in mind, we chose one and from there she sat back and trusted me drive the bus from that point one. She didn't nag me or try to micro manage the process. In short, she was every builders dream to work with. The result was something better than I think either of us expected and we both had a good time through the process. I'm just sorry the neck fell off before she had a chance to play it. ;) (Hah! You think I'M a wise guy!)

Mandarb
04-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Now I can't take all the credit. CanoeLady knew what she wanted, and being an artist herself she sent me a few drawings of themes she had in mind, we chose one and from there she sat back and trusted me drive the bus from that point one. She didn't nag me or try to micro manage the process. In short, she was every builders dream to work with. The result was something better than I think either of us expected and we both had a good time through the process. I'm just sorry the neck fell off before she had a chance to play it. ;) (Hah! You think I'M a wise guy!)

Well - good bus driving. Another beautiful uke. Congrats to the OP - enjoy!

barefootgypsy
04-14-2012, 11:59 AM
A real stunner! Congrats to the builder and to the new owner! It's very, very beautiful and I hope you will play it LOTS! :D

Canoe Lady
04-14-2012, 12:00 PM

This might be what Chuck is referring to. I might have tried to get him to believe the uke was damaged in shipping. Believe me, he deserved it!

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/drupnow/e1294bfb.jpg

Hippie Dribble
04-14-2012, 12:06 PM
congratulations CL, it's incredible!!!! One of the prettiest MB's I've seen for sure. :)

Tigeralum2001
04-14-2012, 12:10 PM
I LOVE it. I rarely get jealous, but I will admit I am jealous. And envious. Sweet uke! Enjoy the fool out of it and think about those of us who can't even get a spec Moore Bettah! :)

mm stan
04-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Sorry to see the joint give out...Were you rockin' that uke out girl...but let me say in the picture that ukes body looks stunning....WOW hope you send it and get it back soon...

rpfrogner
04-14-2012, 12:15 PM
That is one gorgeous ukulele!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-14-2012, 12:37 PM
This might be what Chuck is referring to. I might have tried to get him to believe the uke was damaged in shipping. Believe me, he deserved it!

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/drupnow/e1294bfb.jpg

Just shows you are quite the prankster yourself.....and a master at Photoshop! It's hard to pull one over on me but I gotta say that pic had me going for a few minutes. Touche!

mm stan
04-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Ha Ha .... you naughty naughty gal.........got me too:o:)

Canoe Lady
04-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks everyone! It is killing me that I am working this evening and not able to play this uke for several hours yet. And no worries about shipping damages... The box this little baby came in could have held a 10 year old child!
This uke is really a dream come true.
Thanks Chuck!

pepamahina
04-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Wow, that's really lovely! I love the placement of the plumeria, what a beautiful feminine touch. This is the first Moore Bettah I've seen that really looks like a lady's uke. Congratulations!

Doc_J
04-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Congrats Canoe Lady!

Chuck's soprano ukes are something very special. Enjoy!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Congrats Canoe Lady!

Chuck's soprano ukes are something very special. Enjoy!

You have it's brother! You can see the family resemblance.

Doc_J
04-14-2012, 01:16 PM
You have it's brother! You can see the family resemblance.

Yes, and I'm loving it! Thanks Chuck!

Lexxy
04-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Absolutely magical! The inlays chuck does is breathtaking, as usual.

Canoe Lady
04-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Wow, that's really lovely! I love the placement of the plumeria, what a beautiful feminine touch. This is the first Moore Bettah I've seen that really looks like a lady's uke. Congratulations!

I agree. The headstock alone is pretty gender neutral, but that awesome plumeria lets people know she's a she.

Canoe Lady
04-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Yes, and I'm loving it! Thanks Chuck!

Let's see the brother!

Doc_J
04-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Let's see the brother!
OK. But my pictures are not as well taken as yours.
Here's the Brother. He is just a few months older. There's definitely a family resemblance, but each is unique.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32794&d=1327600716
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32795&d=1327600748

Nickie
04-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Holy cow! Congratulations, that is one awesome looking uke!

hmgberg
04-14-2012, 03:56 PM
So beautiful they hurt my eyes.

SuzukHammer
04-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Very nice!!

Canoe Lady
04-14-2012, 03:58 PM
OK. But my pictures are not as well taken as yours.
Here's the Brother. He is just a few months older. There's definitely a family resemblance, but each is unique.

Ah, I love that one too! You certainly could send it to me for a photo shoot if you could stand to be away from it for a few days :) :)

OldePhart
04-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Nice...me jealous! Need a video, soonest!

pakhan
04-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Congrats! It looks wonderful.

caukulele
04-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Very beautiful, Congratulations! I would love to hear a sound clip.

keliiyama
04-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Those Moore Bettahs are out of this world. I love the wave in the honu's body. So clever Chuck!!! And the plumeria is really pretty. It's not over the top and gawdy. Its perfect. Chuck's wait list just got 5 years longer:) My hands are turning green as I type this comment!!!!

808boy
04-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Aloha and congrats on that beautiful uke, not too much bling, just tastefully done........................BO.................

roxhum
04-14-2012, 05:07 PM
OMG!!! OMG you got a Moore Bettah!!! That has got to be about the most beautiful uke I have ever seen. Your description of your love of water was salve for my soul. Congratulations on your dream uke.

didgeridoo2
04-14-2012, 05:15 PM
(insert *cat call* sound effect here)

Trinimon
04-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Holy cr@p! That's one fine look'n uke! Love the honu inlay!

consitter
04-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Wow! Words are hard to come by when seeing one of Chuck's masterpieces. Congratulations Canoe Lady!!

pakhan
04-14-2012, 08:36 PM
By the way those are some awesome photos- I was wondering what your setup is?

mds725
04-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Congratulations on that stunning MB uke! I love the flower on the fretboard -- it's positioned so that it appears to complete the rosette.
I'm pretty sure I'll never own a Moore Bettah, but I aspire to someday be in the same room with one.

Uke Whisperer
04-14-2012, 11:00 PM
Yes, it definitely has the WOW factor!

haolebrownie
04-14-2012, 11:53 PM
Awesome. Congrats on such a beautiful uke. I'm sure the sound more than matches.

kirbo
04-15-2012, 01:27 AM
Wow! Just beautiful!

Ronnie Aloha
04-15-2012, 04:09 AM
The guy has mad, crazy skills I'll tell ya!

Canoe Lady
04-15-2012, 05:31 AM
By the way those are some awesome photos- I was wondering what your setup is?

Thanks. I use a Canon 50D, and for this shoot I used the Canon EF 100mm, F2.8. That's my favorite lens to use for portraits. I used a black backdrop with window light.

Canoe Lady
04-15-2012, 05:31 AM
The guy has mad, crazy skills I'll tell ya!

He's truly an artist but will tell you he is not. Ha.

pakhan
04-15-2012, 05:33 AM
Thanks. I use a Canon 50D, and for this shoot I used the Canon EF 100mm, F2.8. That's my favorite lens to use for portraits. I used a black backdrop with window light.

Thanks! That's a fast lens. I should really invest in a decent backdrop to help with the reflections and try diffuse lighting.

Canoe Lady
04-15-2012, 05:41 AM
Thanks! That's a fast lens. I should really invest in a decent backdrop to help with the reflections and try diffuse lighting.

The black backdrop is just some fabric I bought at a fabric store. That lens is really super, it's fast and sharp. I might use another lens for part of a shoot, but the images I take with this lens are always the favs.

NatalieS
04-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Wow, that uke is so beautiful!! Congratulations. :-). I'm going to beg you to make a sound clip. I have been dying to hear what a soprano MB sounds like!

sukie
04-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Welcome to the family! MBs are the best.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Congratulations! Wishing you many years of beautiful music with your beautiful instrument.

philpot
04-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Dang it, now I'm back to wanting one.

Canoe Lady
04-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Wow, that uke is so beautiful!! Congratulations. :-). I'm going to beg you to make a sound clip. I have been dying to hear what a soprano MB sounds like!

It might take me a few weeks to get to a sound sample/ video, but one will be coming.

bynapkinart
04-15-2012, 05:01 PM
That is unbelievably spectacular. I only hope one day I get to order a Moore Bettah...every time I see one I salivate for it.

Of course, when I get to that point it's going to be really hard to commit to a Moore OR a DeVine. Guess I'll have to have one of each!

ItsAMeCasey
04-15-2012, 08:33 PM
One of the most beautiful ukes I've ever seen. Congrats!

pakhan
04-15-2012, 09:26 PM
The black backdrop is just some fabric I bought at a fabric store. That lens is really super, it's fast and sharp. I might use another lens for part of a shoot, but the images I take with this lens are always the favs.

Yup, I considered that lens earlier but went with a crazy choice of 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS largely because on the loan lens, the quality of photos was actually better than the equivalent L series that I tried alongside. Sigh.

Time to invest in some fabric!

Jason Paul
04-16-2012, 05:06 AM
Funny - I was also interested in your photo setup. I assumed from your exif that it was the 100mm macro - I'm guessing it's not the L-Series.

I also have a 50D, and your lens's little brother - the 60mm macro, which I like quite a bit. It was probably my favorite lens, but I think that spot is being taken over by the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 I just got a couple of months ago. Of course, the Sigma can't touch the 60mm for close-up shots.

Anyway, great looking uke!

Jason

BlueLatitude
04-16-2012, 06:24 AM
Oh, wow, that is just.... *words fail me* Juicy?

I like how he has the sun and the wave inside the turtle.

Canoe Lady
04-16-2012, 06:26 AM
Funny - I was also interested in your photo setup. I assumed from your exif that it was the 100mm macro - I'm guessing it's not the L-Series.

I also have a 50D, and your lens's little brother - the 60mm macro, which I like quite a bit. It was probably my favorite lens, but I think that spot is being taken over by the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 I just got a couple of months ago. Of course, the Sigma can't touch the 60mm for close-up shots.

Anyway, great looking uke!

Jason

Correct, it is the 100mm macro and not the L-series, but I cannot imagine this lens being any sharper and better than it is.
I shot a few of these shots with the 50mm 1.8, but again, that darn 100mm gets me back every time. I shoot most of my wildlife images with an L-Series....the 100-400mm. Now THAT'S a lens.

Dan Uke
04-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Correct, it is the 100mm macro and not the L-series, but I cannot imagine this lens being any sharper and better than it is.
I shot a few of these shots with the 50mm 1.8, but again, that darn 100mm gets me back every time. I shoot most of my wildlife images with an L-Series....the 100-400mm. Now THAT'S a lens.

I hope you use a tripod for the 100-400mm or you got some serious muscles!! LOL

Canoe Lady
04-16-2012, 07:41 AM
I hope you use a tripod for the 100-400mm or you got some serious muscles!! LOL

I actually don't always use a tripod with that lens....hard to creep up on birds in the river and tough to use a tripod in a kayak :)
I'm a pretty steady shooter and use my body, elbows, etc against a solid object to help keep me steady. But, yeah, if I am holding it up for a long period of time, I get a bit fatigued.

mketom
04-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Congrats Canoe Lady! Nice to see another MB soprano in the Dairy State. Sweetah than State Fair creme puffs, eh? Enjoy!

Canoe Lady
04-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Congrats Canoe Lady! Nice to see another MB soprano in the Dairy State. Sweetah than State Fair creme puffs, eh? Enjoy!

WAYYYY sweeter than State Fair creme puffs....although living up here, I haven't had one is ages. Awesome uke Tom. Lemme know if you ever come north...we can jam!

uluapoundr
04-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Beautiful ukulele! Is Chuck still up to his pranks? The last time he said he was going to charge extra for that experience!

sukie
04-23-2012, 06:13 AM
Beautiful ukulele! Is Chuck still up to his pranks? The last time he said he was going to charge extra for that experience!
No need for him to charge exta. Waiting is torture. Even with weekly updates.

Canoe Lady
04-28-2012, 08:16 PM

He is definitely up to his pranks...that's why he got a pic back of a broken ukulele. He really makes the experience fun!

Canoe Lady
04-28-2012, 08:18 PM
No need for him to charge exta. Waiting is torture. Even with weekly updates.

No kidding, Sukie, about waiting on Friday. I would start checking emails way before I knew he would be sending anything...that darn time change. I was actually in Hawaii when he started the uke, so the Friday updates came while I was having cocktails on the lanai.....not so bad :), but once I came back to Wisconsin, it was soooo much later for me. Torture for sure. But worth it!

NatalieS
08-04-2012, 12:49 AM
How are you liking the soprano now that it's settled in with you? Did you ever get a sound clip? :-)

Canoe Lady
08-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Hey Natalie,
I love this uke more than a person should love an object (well, unless you have "that" disorder). It is the only uke I currently play unless I have sunscreen or bug spray on my body. My friends that know me well tell me I couldn't have chosen a design that is more "me".
I have done a couple of you tube videos playing this uke. I can't link to them right now, as I cannot access you tube from my work, but they should be easy enough to find. Search Kona Breeze or Kona Breeze on Maui to get you started. Thanks for asking, Natalie.

mo9090x
08-04-2012, 02:37 PM
OMG you really had me with that pic!!! I was like "why hasn't she told us how that happened!!!" Congrats to builder and customer on such a beautiful piece of art. Luck had nothing to do with it but you are so lucky! I hope to be in the Moore Bettah club one day.

Asrafrate
08-04-2012, 05:02 PM
I think I'm in love :love:

Time to start saving the dollars I think. I've checked out Chuck's website and for all the extras I want, I'll need atleast 3g *gulp*

But no... I can do this! Right then. Off to tweak my budget.

Nickie
08-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Wow, congratulations! That is absolutely gorgeous! Hope you enjoy it for a long time!