Worried Man Blues

OldePhart

Reaction score
Great rendition John, rock solid mate.

Nicely done, sincerely great tenor voice.

Is that the Seguar fishing line?

Very smooth stuff John. Nice mate, real nice. Just thought...there's more than a hint of the Man in Black in that rich voice of yours, and nice to hear the extra verses. Excellent stuff brother.

luvly jubly that was fantastic John :) funnily enough that is my fave song to play on the baritone at the moment, trying to learn a picking strum or what ever the technical name is, really enjoyed your version, your voice is fab as well, thanks for sharing :)

Thanks everybody - you guys are way too kind! This has always been one of my favorite old tradional songs. I screwed up the ending. I had planned on going back into arpeggiated picking the way I started it off but I have real problems transitioning from strumming into picking. I ran the batteries in the camera down trying to get a good take with with the third chorus picked or ending in picking and it fell apart every stinking time. Everything else was fine on all but one of the takes but every time I tried to go from strumming to picking it sounded like cats fighting in an alley - with both of them losing. I can go the other way reasonably well but for some reason I can't downshift...if anybody has any pointers on that (hint, Jon) I'm all ears. Well, some people say my ears are big anyway... :)

@koolkayaker1 - yep, that's the Seaguar leaders. This set has been on almost a year, too - I put this set on when I cleaned the uke up after the trip to UWC last year. This uke has probably had at least 100 playing hours on these strings and the intonation is just beginning to slip a little - pretty amazing how well they hold up.

@eugene - re. the Man in Black - My wife and I used to sing in church a lot and it seemed like every time at least one person would make that comparison. I'm way more than honored by that - my whole body doesn't have the talent that Johnny had in his little fingernail. The funny thing is I never really listened to Johnny Cash - I knew who he was and was familiar with his big hits - but I never really appreciated his work until those really soulful songs and collaborations he did in the last couple years of his life. "Hurt," and "Ain't No Grave"...man, that is some awesome stuff.

@ukuleledaveey - this is the first song I plan to learn on the baritone, too. Maybe I'll put up a vid of that one and see how they compare.

@everybody - thanks again - I really appreciate the encouraging words

John

Wow, that fishing leader is something else. Maybe I should pony up and get a few spools as everyone said in the Fishing Line thread.

"Hurt," and "Ain't No Grave"...man, that is some awesome stuff.---John. Listen, John....please do Hurt. It's so very cool, as you say, and slow and burning and has those wonky chords. You, man, have the voice for it. Please consider it. "My empire of dirt." I can envision you singing it as I write this. And no stum/arpeggio changes it it, either. lol Well, maybe a little, atually, as it picks up tempo a tad to a slow boil. It's made for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aF9AJm0RFc

A link for those readers who don; know what John and I are speaking of...Nine Inch Nails>J Cash's Hurt.

Addendum: this cute kid even has a tutorial, believe it or not:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ9M6v2s73Y

Last edited:
Woah...thanks for the compliment Steve! Honestly, I don't think I've either experienced or given enough hurt throughout my life to put the kind of feeling in it that Johnny does - his cover of that song isn't a performance; it's raw emotion expressed in the audio spectrum! It would almost be sacrilege to cover it and come up lame!

Maybe I'll do Folsom Prison Blues or Ring of Fire some time. :)

John

Top Bottom