New Kala Solid

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
Mim strikes again. Absolutely adoring this uke. The tone is amazing with Aquila and even better with the worths I have on now. It can sound gorgeous and pronounced Fingerpicked lightly and it BARKS when you dig in. I think the solid spruce/lacewood looks fantastic together. And the little perks kala threw in like the rolled/layered headstock and fancy inlays are great. This is by far my favorite uke I have owned and I've owned a few lol. Anywho, some pics.

lace2.jpg
lace5.jpg
lace4.jpg
lace6.jpg

Cellphone screen cover I use top and bottom to protect the wood where my nails strike the most when strumming.

lace7.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great. I love the look of that one. It's funny I was debating between the Kala spruce/lacewood you got, the Kala Cedar gloss or the Baroq-ulele and I went with the Baroq-ulele but I don't doubt I'll be looking into the others in the future.

How is the setup by the way?

AB

I agree with AC, AB. I just got an Ohana from Mim and was total spot on

Congratulations! It's beautiful. I'm impressed with some of the work the Chinese sweat shops can put out. Too bad they can't make good catfood... I just sold my Chinese motor scooter to buy another uke, and I have to say, it was fairly well built, and took a lot of pounding on our sorry streets around here, and still looked good. Most of the scooters around here are Chinese. Oops, wrong forum, hee hee. Well, most of the people I know here play Chinese ukes! Including me...

yes I have the Kala Lacewood in the Bari and I am also impressed with the workmanship and sound ( try it with SouthcoastUke strings if you want an even more awesome sound) Very interesting using the cellphone protector. thin, clear, and fairly tough for wear. I suppose it won't affect wood finish? or sound? thanks for the tip. and easy to peel off when needed to. Lozark

I have the very same uke coming from Mim tomorrow. Did you switch out the strings right away or did you give the Aquilas a chance?

Congratulations! It's beautiful. I'm impressed with some of the work the Chinese sweat shops can put out. Too bad they can't make good catfood... I just sold my Chinese motor scooter to buy another uke, and I have to say, it was fairly well built, and took a lot of pounding on our sorry streets around here, and still looked good. Most of the scooters around here are Chinese. Oops, wrong forum, hee hee. Well, most of the people I know here play Chinese ukes! Including me...

They seem to be about like anything else, get what you pay for. Going with factory ukes I especially like to deal with Mim. Factory set up is usually pretty bad and she corrects that. But more than that she's a straight shooter. She don't care if it's a uke on her wall, if it's not up to par she will tell you and lead you to a uke that's right for you.

I have the very same uke coming from Mim tomorrow. Did you switch out the strings right away or did you give the Aquilas a chance?

I tried them for a very short time and they did not sound bad. But prior to it even coming I already knew that I'm not a fan of Aquila strings on a Sprucetop. To My ears they just sound too plastic and clumsy on Spruce. The worth strings to me seem to be much warmer and balanced on Spruce.

yes I have the Kala Lacewood in the Bari and I am also impressed with the workmanship and sound ( try it with SouthcoastUke strings if you want an even more awesome sound) Very interesting using the cellphone protector. thin, clear, and fairly tough for wear. I suppose it won't affect wood finish? or sound? thanks for the tip. and easy to peel off when needed to. Lozark

Thank you sir. Though I must confess the cell cover is not my ideal. I seen someone here do it with an iPad screen protector :)

Top Bottom