Trip to Hawaii - questions

His Sinfulness

Reaction score
My family is planning to all meet up in Hawaii for Christmas this year, because it is sort of the half-way point between them (Oregon) and me (South Korea). I started immediately drooling over the possibility of shopping for a uke, so my fiancée has declared that a new uke, purchased there, can be my Christmas present. I am leaning toward getting a 6 or 8 string model.

So, two questions:

1) Where are the best places to shop?

2) Which 6 or 8 string models do you recommend I look for? (Price range $500 and under).

Thanks!

Last edited:
I, too, would recommend Hawaiian Music Supply in Haleiwa on Oahu. They have a great and varied supply of ukuleles and you can take all the time you want playing them and asking questions. They will also do a fine set up for you. Music Guy Mike is there and a great resource, besides being a very nice guy. I bought a beautiful tenor there and got a very good deal. I highly recommend Hawaiian Music Supply.

HMS bro im from korea as well and man HMS does a great service check them out

Thanks for the input, folks. The last time we went to Hawaii it was to Maui - not sure yet where we will go this time. I will be pushing for Oahu!

Thanks for the input, folks. The last time we went to Hawaii it was to Maui - not sure yet where we will go this time. I will be pushing for Oahu!

Oahu is just one big city with the ocean (not really but...).

In your price range you are looking at Pono and Mele. Maybe keli'i???

I have owned a Pono 8 string and I wasn't overly impressed with it. IT was pretty and had a nice sound but it was just so quiet. I also broke one of the A strings twice.

I have owned 3 Mele 6 stringers and I love them. I let my first one go to fund the Pono and the second one was "Deached". I just recently purchased my third one.

If you do go to Oahu, check out the swap meet. I played some 8 and 6 stringers from a maker that I actually enjoyed but he did mislead to me to belive they were made in Hawai'i when in fact they were not.

The beauty of actually being in Hawaii is that you get to play the ukes you may potentially buy. Assuming that you will have enough time to visit a few uke shops, go to places like HMS or Ukulele Pua Pua (more expensive tourist location) or other musical instrument shops you could visit and play their ukes. You might be surprised by what you end up wanting to buy. I was in Oahu last month and could have bought any K-brand or other less common higher-end ukes if I really wanted to, but the one I ended up buying was a made in Mexico Martin concert because it was just so good that I couldn't leave it.

I love Oahu, and I know others say Maui and such, but I love the city, I love things to do, and Haleiwa is so freaking cute and fun, and I quintuple the suggestion for HMS> yeah!

If I was there again, I'd also do the KoAloha tour. Papa KoAloha, would love to meet him.

The Kamaka tour, like their ukuleles recently, are pure factory--all marketing, hype, price boosts and production volume to wring every dime out of this, the third wave of the ukulele craze (which should be waning by, oh, about 2013).

So, yep, HMS and KoAloha. And, if you go at Xmas, you'll be there for the giant waves at Ehukai Beach, "the Pipe", so bring your surfboard (I;m kidding there...lol).

Lots of great suggestions so far. Also consider bobs ukulele if your in Waikiki, it's in the marriot by kapiolani park. Right near Stan! Small shop, lots of ukes. Go over while your family is at the beach. I think he's closed midday.

I love Oahu, and I know others say Maui and such, but I love the city, I love things to do, and Haleiwa is so freaking cute and fun, and I quintuple the suggestion for HMS> yeah!

If I was there again, I'd also do the KoAloha tour. Papa KoAloha, would love to meet him.

The Kamaka tour, like their ukuleles recently, are pure factory--all marketing, hype, price boosts and production volume to wring every dime out of this, the third wave of the ukulele craze (which should be waning by, oh, about 2013).

So, yep, HMS and KoAloha. And, if you go at Xmas, you'll be there for the giant waves at Ehukai Beach, "the Pipe", so bring your surfboard (I;m kidding there...lol).

+1! Amen to that:)

Thanks for the tips - I am making a list.

As for the surfing, I grew up in Cali, but we never had anything that crazy big at Huntington beach. I think I'll stick to bikini watching while I'm there. ;)

Top Bottom