Guitar to Uke

UkEdman90

Reaction score
Ok so there are so many websites out there that have guitar tabs and barely any with uke tabs. How does one go about taking a guitar tab and transposing it into a uke? Can you do it on Guitar pro? please let me know...

thx
-DOn

Well, from what I've observed you can play any guitar tabs that only use the DGBE strings on the guitar . The only problem with this is that your uke must have a low G string or you can only use the CEA strings on the ukulele if your ukulele has a high G string. Does that make any sense? (probably not haha)

For example you can play the intro of this tab on the ukulele because it only uses the B and the E strings on the guitar.

Correct me if I'm wrong because it very well could be lol.

Check out Chordie. For songs that just have chords, you can instantly convert it to uke by clicking on "Ukulele (C-tuning)" in the Tuning drop-down menu on the right. It'll show you the ukulele finger patterns for all the chords in the song. Another neat thing about Chordie is that it can automatically transpose songs into a whole bunch of different keys.

As for tabs, think of a uke tuned GCEA as a guitar capo'd at the fifth fret, and it's a lot easier to figure it out.

Just play the song using the guitar patterns and ignore the fifth and sixth strings.

No, seriously. Start there and work out transpositions later. Doesn't always work, but a lot of songs chorded for guitar work just fine on the uke in those patterns.

Check out Chordie. For songs that just have chords, you can instantly convert it to uke by clicking on "Ukulele (C-tuning)" in the Tuning drop-down menu on the right. It'll show you the ukulele finger patterns for all the chords in the song. Another neat thing about Chordie is that it can automatically transpose songs into a whole bunch of different keys.

As for tabs, think of a uke tuned GCEA as a guitar capo'd at the fifth fret, and it's a lot easier to figure it out.

Yeah i use chordie alot haha

That chordie.com site is great!!

The National publishers association tried to take a lot of them down claiming copyright laws.....

I had the opportunity at ozzfest to ask Kirk Hammett of Metallica about them doing that. and He said "What right does the NPA have to tell people what to do with artists music? isn't that up to the artist?"

That is the answer i was expecting :D

Guitar tabs don't hurt a musician.......

I essentially do what the last post says, but without looking at the chart. Never seen that stuff before.

Top Bottom