PDA

View Full Version : My Worth Low G String Sounds like a Giant Rubber Band

whit
04-15-2012, 06:17 AM
Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything to do short of changing strings?

CTurner
04-15-2012, 06:51 AM
Whit,

Check out this most recent thread: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?63629-Low-A-tenor-tuning

Experimenting with different tunings may be a solution for you.

imabuddha
04-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Or you could just make the most of it. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKbADFJOCkU

itsme
04-15-2012, 07:56 AM
whit, is this your first time trying low G? Maybe you're just not used to it yet? I've never had an issue with Worth low Gs.

whit
04-15-2012, 09:13 AM
whit, is this your first time trying low G? Maybe you're just not used to it yet? I've never had an issue with Worth low Gs.

It's my first time with an unwound low G. Other sets that I've used have had wound G and C strings.

lozarkman
04-15-2012, 02:59 PM
that is why I use only wounds for G, as I have always felt that synthetic fourth string never gives me a true G-A-B sound. Southcoastukes linear set comes the closest to a true on pitch G-A-B I have found, and I do use the linears some. It may just be my aged ear :) but the aged ear clears up with wounds. Lozark

gyosh
04-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything to do short of changing strings?

That's been my experience with that brand also. I now use either Southcoast G650's or Jason Arimoto's PhD strings. I really like the PhD's on my Kamaka and the Southcoast strings on my Pineapple Tenor (I haven't tried the Southcoast strings on my Kamaka yet, because the PhD's provided the sound and feel I was looking for).

stevepetergal
04-15-2012, 05:25 PM
It's my first time with an unwound low G. Other sets that I've used have had wound G and C strings.

If you're used to a wound low G, you won't find a non-wound that will satisfy your ear. Being thick and short (shorter than a guitar string) they never sound as lively.

whit
04-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the input. An order for some G650's has been placed. Meanwhile, back to re-entrant tuning for this uke.

gyosh
04-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the input. An order for some G650's has been placed. Meanwhile, back to re-entrant tuning for this uke.

You won't be disappointed. Best balance from string to string of any brand out there.

Patrick Madsen
04-15-2012, 07:18 PM
So a wound C string sounds okay? I've been hesitant on ordering a set for the fact of a wound 3rd and not sure which set to order. Looks like G650's are the lowg for tenor. It also says the two wound strings have ball ends; can they be cut off as I have the thru the soundboard tie type bridge; ball ends wouldn't work.

gyosh
04-15-2012, 08:36 PM
So a wound C string sounds okay? I've been hesitant on ordering a set for the fact of a wound 3rd and not sure which set to order. Looks like G650's are the lowg for tenor. It also says the two wound strings have ball ends; can they be cut off as I have the thru the soundboard tie type bridge; ball ends wouldn't work.

Haven't had a set come with ball ends.

CTurner
04-16-2012, 02:58 AM
Patrick,

I've used the Southcoast wounds (flat wounds) that had the ball ends. I just inserted the plain end into the body of my uke and fished it out of the sound hole, tied a knot (you can use a bead too) and then ran the ball end to the tuner, cutting off the ball. No problems.

hibiscus
05-04-2012, 11:11 AM
I use Worth Clear low G on my Ohana Concert, and it sounds great!