1924 - 1926 Martin 1K soprano

rpfrogner

Reaction score
Nice example of a players ukulele. This Martin 1K is not perfect, but is in good shape. No cracks or repairs. The is one spot on the back where there appears to be a small separation in the grain (been this way since I've had it) which I have pictured. I believe the neck was over-sprayed at some point. There is finish wear to the body and light pick wear (again, before my ownership). The wood friction pegs on this ukulele work really well. I am attaching a link so you can hear how it sounds (sorry folks, I am not the best player but hopefully you will get the idea). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vvyj5dTKjg
I am asking $1650 for this ukulele plus shipping. Case is included. I will consider shipping outside the US but buyer would also be responsible for any taxes, tariff's or duties.
SN856844.jpgSN856851.jpgSN856850.jpgSN856849.jpgSN856854.jpg
Please let me know of any questions if you would like additional photo's.
I am selling to help fund another instrument.

Last edited:
Hi rpfrogner, just curious about how you arrived at such a precise date window. I have a similar uke and am simply curious.
thanks
peewee

As you note it has CF Martin stamped into the back of the headstock, it has wood friction tuning pegs (original), and it has an ebony nut and saddle. It is generally believed that Martin used a light wood nut and saddle until about 1924, and it is generally believed that they began putting patent mechanical pegs on the Style 1's starting in 1927. With those 2 things in mind, I believe then this would date the ukulele to between 1924 and 1926. It is absolutely no earlier, and because of the wood friction pegs I doubt any later. The shape of the top of the headstock, and base of the fret board are good indicators of time period for the pre 30's Martins as well as the position of the fret markets (or lack thereof). This is the newest Martin ukulele I have, and I will be offering an older one (between 1918 and 1919) maybe as early as today.

As you note it has CF Martin stamped into the back of the headstock, it has wood friction tuning pegs (original), and it has an ebony nut and saddle. It is generally believed that Martin used a light wood nut and saddle until about 1924, and it is generally believed that they began putting patent mechanical pegs on the Style 1's starting in 1927. With those 2 things in mind, I believe then this would date the ukulele to between 1924 and 1926. It is absolutely no earlier, and because of the wood friction pegs I doubt any later. The shape of the top of the headstock, and base of the fret board are good indicators of time period for the pre 30's Martins as well as the position of the fret markets (or lack thereof). This is the newest Martin ukulele I have, and I will be offering an older one (between 1918 and 1919) maybe as early as today.

Thanks for the detail, I wasn't aware of the light/dark nut differences, that helps me date mine to the same period. Thanks
peewee

Top Bottom