Call from Chris Kamaka

Aztec

Reaction score
As written in a prior post, I picked up a new Kamaka Concert uke at the Northern California Ukulele Festival. Well, this last Thursday, I was on a conference call in my office when my home phone rang. Fortunately, my wife answered the phone. When I was finally off of my work call, my wife informed me that "the guy who sold you the ukulele" called. Chris spoke with my wife for quite some time asking how I was enjoying my new uke and asking my wife if she played. He also left his number to call should I have any questions or concerns.

Suffice it to say, I was blown away by this level of attention and customer care given such a large and distinguished manufacturer. Chris and Casey's patience with me as I agonized over which uke to purchase combined with the post purchase follow-up leaves me a Kamaka fan for life. Kudos to an amazing family company!

I fall in love more and more with this uke each day. I am still amazed by it's aesthetic beauty, sound and playability. No regrets, only joy!

Thank you Kamaka family!

Aloha,

Lance

That is great to hear. Someday, I will shop in that price range... :drool:

Geez! I'm a Kamaka fan, too. Chris has never called me, nor has Casey. What am I doing wrong?:confused: If you happen to speak with Chris again, please tell him that I love my Kamakas - all three of them.

I can guaranty you that I am nobody special. If I played for you, you would certainly agree :p My guess is the phone call was due to Chris and Casey personally transacting the sale. There is no way it would be possible to do the same for every sale transacted through Kamaka's retail distribution channels.

Geez! I'm a Kamaka fan, too. Chris has never called me, nor has Casey. What am I doing wrong?:confused: If you happen to speak with Chris again, please tell him that I love my Kamakas - all three of them.

I can guaranty you that I am nobody special. If I played for you, you would certainly agree :p My guess is the phone call was due to Chris and Casey personally transacting the sale. There is no way it would be possible to do the same for every sale transacted through Kamaka's retail distribution channels.

I'll bet I know how you got selected - a random number generator picked you. I work in nonprofit development, that is I raise money with Standard Mail, what is otherwise known as junk mail.

Each Monday am I run a little script that selects a half dozen active or inactive donors for me to call that week, I don't ever ask for more. All I do is thank them for their support. Usually I get someone that is happy to send us money to further our mission but on occasion catch an earful. Those times are when I look at what we're doing, because I may very well be doing something that needs to be changed.

This is the proper use of warranty cards, customer contact. Not the harvesting of customer profiles to be sold off.

The average mail response rate in the nonprofit world is 3% at Christmas. I've been averaging 60% over the last 20 years. Development people take the summer off, I see a 30% response.

The Kamakas know how to improve brand loyalty with customer feedback. They could write a book...

Last edited:
Chris is a wonderful guy. My dealings in customer service with Kamaka have been hit and miss in the past, but every time I have seen or spoken to him, he has been wonderful. I am glad you are enjoying your Kamaka. :)

I was only kidding:) I didn't buy any of my Kamakas from a Kamaka. I did get to meet Fred, however.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chris called everyone who bought a Kamaka from him personally at the Northern California Ukulele Festival. There were a limited number of ukuleles for sale that day and the purchases, unlike most retail Kamaka purchases, were the product of a personal connection between the buyer and a member of the Kamaka family. I met Chris at last year's festival (he borrows my ukulele instructor's bass for his performances there) and I met Casey at this year's festival, and they both seem to take a personal interest in what happens to the instruments Kamaka makes. I had mine with me at the Kamaka booth, and they wanted to see it and they wanted to know what I thought of it, etc.

Last edited:
As written in a prior post, I picked up a new Kamaka Concert uke at the Northern California Ukulele Festival. Well, this last Thursday, I was on a conference call in my office when my home phone rang. Fortunately, my wife answered the phone. When I was finally off of my work call, my wife informed me that "the guy who sold you the ukulele" called. Chris spoke with my wife for quite some time asking how I was enjoying my new uke and asking my wife if she played. He also left his number to call should I have any questions or concerns.

Suffice it to say, I was blown away by this level of attention and customer care given such a large and distinguished manufacturer. Chris and Casey's patience with me as I agonized over which uke to purchase combined with the post purchase follow-up leaves me a Kamaka fan for life. Kudos to an amazing family company!

I fall in love more and more with this uke each day. I am still amazed by it's aesthetic beauty, sound and playability. No regrets, only joy!

Thank you Kamaka family!

Aloha,

Lance

Lance did the caller have a funny Indian accent???? ;-)

I wouldn't be surprised if Chris called everyone who bought a Kamaka from him personally at the Northern California Ukulele Festival. There were a limited number of ukuleles for sale that day and the purchases, unlike most retail Kamaka purchases, were the product of a personal connection between the buyer and a member of the Kamaka family. I met Chris at last year's festival (he borrows my ukulele instructor's bass for his performances there) and I met Casey at this year's festival, and they both seem to take a personal interest in what happens to the instruments Kamaka makes. I had mine with me at the Kamaka booth, and they wanted to see it and they wanted to know what I thought of it, etc.

Hey Mark, they looked at mine too. I told them what I paid last year, and they said I did well negotiating that price :)

Top Bottom