PDA

View Full Version : Kindle uke books for beginners -- chime in!

pootsie
04-16-2012, 04:49 AM
I have an Amazon gift card and a Kindle.

And I have decided to blow my gift $$ on ukulele books so, please post your suggestions!

BTW, I note that the collected works of bazmaz are available.
I plan on getting all of those but I will still have money left!!!!

And since I know that everyone here hates the idea of leaving a single penny of the uke budget unspent, I need your help.

bazmaz
04-16-2012, 05:10 AM
Lol. I obviously consider this to be a five star thread!

;)

vanflynn
04-16-2012, 05:14 AM
Daily Uke is available in ebook through barnes & noble. thats a standard for uke groups.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/daily-ukulele-jim-beloff/1100041856?r=1&ean=9781423477754&cm_mmc=Google+Product+Search-_-Q000000630-_-Daily+Ukulele-_-9781423477754

pootsie
04-16-2012, 05:16 AM
Really, bazmaz, what you should do is raise your prices to solve my problem ;)

kegmcnabb
04-16-2012, 05:38 AM
Ukulele for Dummies

bazmaz
04-16-2012, 05:39 AM
+1 Ukulele For Dummies, and the Jim Beloff 365 book

Hiddencross
04-16-2012, 05:43 AM
Ukulele for Dummies

This is a good one. I also like the Daily Uke (Jim Beloff) book. I own a non-digital version of the Daily Uke and it is great. I have, however, heard some complain that the e-book version is not very readable on smaller devices.

Paul Dominic Martin
04-16-2012, 05:46 AM
*****UKES for DUMMIES!!!!**** a staple and great reference.... :D

Ukulele for Dummies

ukuLily Mars
04-16-2012, 05:57 AM
I have Ukulele for Dummies and love it. If you have an iPad it will have the video links, which are great; I've read that other devices don't have those.

Nickie
04-16-2012, 07:32 AM
What excellent ideas! I really want my music on some type of reader, see my thread under Uke Talk "I want a new toy".

ichadwick
04-19-2012, 09:21 AM
If you like old music from the 1920s and 30s, I sell a couple of DVDs with 8GB of PDF files you can open on a Kindle...

pootsie
04-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks all for your input. My gift card balance is now much smaller!

Tycho Brahe
04-20-2012, 07:54 PM
How do you get the videos version of Ukulele for Dummies on iPad?
Is it through Kindle or iBookstore?

I need this! :)

pootsie
04-21-2012, 06:31 AM
I got mine at Amazon but my kindle does not support the extras :(

Hiddencross
04-21-2012, 07:15 AM
How do you get the videos version of Ukulele for Dummies on iPad?
Is it through Kindle or iBookstore?

I need this! :)
From the iBookstore:

Ukulele for Dummies, Enhanced Edition
Alistair Wood

jmw
04-22-2012, 05:58 AM
Is it too late to chime in with another vote for Ukulele For Dummies? :D

The "extras" (which you need) are only available on IPhone or iPad, so if you don't have one of those, get the actual book and CD combo.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
04-26-2012, 12:13 PM
I believe Kanaka916 helped me with the links in my signature so that there are a couple
of my performance songbooks in pdf format that you may download as one big pdf file
so that you can scroll through it to find individual songs.

The corresponding MP3s are also available via a signature link : )

keep uke'in',

OOPS! I don't have the links to my performance songbooks in my signature. Sorry, will
be working with Kanaka916 to get them hosted on his MediaFire acct.

I was able to set up my own MediaFire account and so I posted a link to my entire Ukulele FOLDER in the
Videos and Links category. Or just search for it using the keyword MediaFire.

I hope you find it useful.

AussieAsh
04-26-2012, 02:30 PM
I wish that you had prefaced this post with something along the lines of "Warning: Plenty Of Good Things To Buy Listed In This Post!"

Unlike pootsie, I do not have an Amazon gift card. However I do have something far more evil: the credit card. And not just any old credit card. You see, combined with my uncanny ability to rationalise and justify pretty-much every Amazon book purchase I ever consider, this humble credit card becomes a lot like The Very Hungry Caterpillar from the children's book of the same name.

Result: I have several shiny new books coming my way courtesy of Amazon, Mastercard and DHL Express.

Cheers,
Ash

thedannywahl
04-26-2012, 07:00 PM
I also bought the "uke for dummies" based off this thread. I thought it would be good cause my wife gets one nook color, and then I found out the bad things: 1) no more CD 2) cannot zoom so I cannot read the music! Oh well still a good book, get the "print" one but.

pootsie
04-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Ash: you knew what you were getting into!

Uncle Rod: Many thanks, as always. I have Key of C in the bootcamp down and a good handle on Key of F, two months into playing and never having played a thing before in my life. You rock (as do all the others here who have helped me along)! A little jazz in the strum and they sound like songs!

Nickie
04-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Oops! I was ready to buy a Kindle or a Nook for this, but this month I had to spend almost $700 on my old jalopy. So much for braggin that I spend more on ukuleles! May might be another month of draggin sheet music around...

ukuleledaveey
04-27-2012, 02:29 AM
the nook looks good but its only got a 7 inch screen, the ipad is to expensive is there any other cheaper options on the tablet front that people have and can recommend, im quite interested in just taking a preloaded up with pdfs instead of lugging loads of folders and books round :) UAS and wanting gadgets is a terrible combination lol :)

Uncle Rod Higuchi
04-27-2012, 12:03 PM
There are more affordable Android OS Tablets with varying screen sizes (7", 8", 9.7" 10.1" etc).

My advice is to work with one in person to see if it will be responsive enough for you. I believe
Sprint has an Android Tablet you can handle, I forget the manufacturer.

keep uke'in',

AussieAsh
04-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi All,

A few things that you really need to pay attention to when buying an e-reader for sheet music.

1. Viewing angle. This is very important, because unlike reading a book, when you're reading music you generally do not have two spare hands to hold the music in an optimal reading position. A lot of screens look great when viewed front-on (ie. at a 90-degree angle) but get a lot fainter as you decrease the angle you're looking at the screen from.

2. Screen size. Also remember that musical notation is a lot smaller and more intricate than merely words on a page. Pages of music are generally much "busier" than the pages of a book so you'll likely want things to be a bit bigger. Not only that, but you also read through music much faster than a page of a book, meaning you won't be very happy if you can only see 16 bars of music on the screen at a time.

3. The ease with which you can zoom in and out. Ideally you should be able to do this with just one hand.

4. This is more to do with the app you use to read the sheet music, but can you make notes on the pages? Not so important for novels, but very important for sheet music.

In my opinion, the iPad 2 (now reduced to $399) is probably the perfect e-reader for sheet music and books in general. The screen resolution is on par with the computer you're probably using right now, the device has been around for long enough to have some really great music-learning apps available and last but certainly not least it has the best e-reader app (well, actually an huge selection of them) for viewing all the different kinds of e-book formats (e-pub, PDF, etc).

Cheers,
Ash

Scootergirl62
06-21-2012, 02:10 AM
Great recommendations! Bought the enhanced version of dummies, but having a heck of a time trying to get it to download over mifi to the ipad while camping.....must search a free wifi spot ;)

quiltingshirley
06-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Sounds like you already have the ipad to use rather than the Kindle. I have both the regular Kindle and the Kindle Fire. For me, both are too small to read and/or see the music in The Daily Ukelele book. I have put music on the Fire but I need to scroll to see the whole thing. Uncle Rod's Boot Camp works great though since you just need a glance to see which chord is next.

1931jim
06-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Great recommendations! Bought the enhanced version of dummies, but having a heck of a time trying to get it to download over mifi to the ipad while camping.....must search a free wifi spot ;)
Camping has sure changed, if we ever had any spare room in the old kit bag we would have opted out for another can of beans. HaHa!!

Scootergirl62
06-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Lol - it sure has! Now we worry about cell coverage and free wifi!

fretie
06-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Another vote for Uke for Dummies on the ipad. The sound and video files are great - handy to have them embedded right in the ebook itself.

But, as another poster has already mentioned, too bad the pages can't be 'pinched to zoom' in order to read the music notation a little better.

Other than that, its good value.