Ukulele as a bridge builder... projects?

moskeeto

Reaction score
Hi ukulele folks!

Do you know any organisations or projects that use the ukulele for bringing people together? (for example in peace projects with children, fugees, ...)

In a couple of weeks I will deliver a talk at TEDxJacobsUniversity (independently organised TED conference in Bremen, Germany). The main theme of the event is "building bridges" and I want to highlight why the ukulele is so great at bringing people together.

I know of the NGO "Ukuleles for Peace" in Israel. But apart from that?

I hope you guys know more than I do :)

Thanks!
moskeeto

--
PS: Here are my main points why I consider the ukulele to be a "bridge builder".
1. It makes people smile (happy sound etc.)
2. It's the people's instrument (affordable, small, easy to learn, great for singing and melody playing --> people rediscover the gift of making music)
3. It brings people together (transportable, small, not too loud. We human beings love sharing the things that make us happy... and music really bonds us together)

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I have an "unofficial" on going project to bring underprivleged kids, or "missundersoon" kids to Ukes. I just called it "Give a kid a uke" project. I refurbish old or unwanted ukes and give them to kids that can't afford to get one on their own. It is not a "real" organization, but more of a private quest of myself. I also know that Mim has done some awesome things through her business in working with uke manufactures to supply ukes to kids in schools and such. She might be a good resorce to look at for projects like that.

I've met Paul Moore of Ukuleles for Peace and he's even more awesome than you'd expect. I'm sure there are other groups, but I'm not aware of them.

Thanks guys!
@Tudorp: Your "inofficial project" sounds great, I'm glad there are folks out there doing stuff like that :) Btw: Who is "Mim", how can I find her?
@Plainsong: Cool, I guess I'll just give it a shot and try to contact Paul.

Thanks guys!
@Tudorp: Your "inofficial project" sounds great, I'm glad there are folks out there doing stuff like that :) Btw: Who is "Mim", how can I find her?
@Plainsong: Cool, I guess I'll just give it a shot and try to contact Paul.

He's on Facebook, and you'll know it's him from all the related uke friends in the list. :)

Top Bottom