Keep Calm and Get Your Uke Republic On

Steedy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
On Saturday, April 14, I fired up my GPS, and set sail for the new Uke Republic store in Austell, Georgia (just outside of Atlanta, GA, in the US of A). There I met some fine folks, played some fine ukes, and generally (you guessed it) had a fine time! Oh, I also left there with a fine new ukulele, but I’ll save that for a little later…

First of all, Mike’s new store is in a beautifully-renovated old building, which was a thread mill about a hundred years ago, but now houses municipal and corporate offices, as well as a retail mall. There are fountains out front and in the lobby, and glass elevators for scenic vertical conveyance.

Here's a few photos -

Mike and Richard hoist the royal banner:

001-5.jpg

Jammin' with Sailor Jim:

003-6.jpg

Getting friendly with Leilani:

005-4.jpg

Paying my respects to Uke Tiki:

006-4.jpg

Continued below...

Last edited:
And the new ukulele I mentioned earlier? Well, I played a lot of ukes in the Uke Republic store, and wanted them all, but was finally drawn to a nice little Sailor Brand Soprano, with a solid cedar top. The back and sides are poplar, with a eucalyptus veneer.

It has a bright, clear, ringing sound that I just couldn't resist.

Here she be:

031-1.jpg

026.jpg

020-1.jpg

024.jpg

So, it's not just on your lap, it's now on the map. Head on down to Uke Republic and tell 'em Steedy sent ya!

Mahalos!

Last edited:
sounds like you had an awesome time Steedy, and looks like it too. Great pictures. and that little sailor is a sweetie, great choice. Mike is a wonderful guy and just great to deal with. Lots of positive energy in that man and most, from my experience at least, is directed towards helping people realise their uke dreams. Bravo Mike and hearty congrats on the beautiful new shop. :)

Hey, we're Sailor sopranos with cedar/eucalyptus buddies! Click my sig for pics. I was just playing it a few hours ago.. practicing something I wrote but can't play. Hmpf.

Anyway, if I were ever anywhere near Georgia, I would so love to go to the Republic of Uke.

Would love the lot of ya to swing by! May have to hire a jet to pick everyone up:)
Steedy is a great guy and plays awesome! We of course ended up playing a few tunes . Thanks so much for coming in.
The pics of his new Sailor look fantastic, wonderful detail on the the eucalyptus!

Ha ha, Mike exaggerated a bit: I'm maybe an OK guy and a mediocre player/awful singer at best.

But I do like my new Sailor Brand soprano! It's a great value for a hand-crafted, American made ukulele.

I do like my new Sailor Brand soprano! It's a great value for a hand-crafted, American made ukulele.

I played one just like it at the Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway, the Sailor cedar soprano was amazing. Been thinking of getting Mike to build a longneck version. Congratulations on the awesome new ukulele.

This thread has done absolutely nothing to dampen my desire to visit Uke Republic if I ever find myself down Joh-Jah way.

Congrats again to Mike and Uke Republic, and here's hoping you guys are a smashing success.

:) I hope you make it here! Dual citizenship for all!
This thread has done absolutely nothing to dampen my desire to visit Uke Republic if I ever find myself down Joh-Jah way.

Congrats again to Mike and Uke Republic, and here's hoping you guys are a smashing success.

Wow, what a pretty uke. That wood on the back is awesome, I've never seen any like it! Is it eucalyptus?

I'm not one of those seedy soundhole sniffers you find in dark alleys, milling around with the shakes, jonesing for their next fix. They grab at you as leave the shop, and it's very creepy. ;)

I'm just saying... they would enjoy this one. :)

Just a quick update: The Sailor Brand Soprano I brought home from Uke Republic has become my favorite daily player.

I love it! :)

Congrats! I'm thrilled with both my Ohanas from UR

UKE REPUBLIC ......... Simply wonderful .

p.s. I sniff both my Sailor Brand Ukulele Company sound holes . But the buck stops there .

I've got my Uke Republic on and my Sailor Brands to prove it . Been there , done that and got the t-shirt to boot .

Good thread Steedy !

Would love the lot of ya to swing by! May have to hire a jet to pick everyone up:)
Steedy is a great guy and plays awesome! We of course ended up playing a few tunes . Thanks so much for coming in.
The pics of his new Sailor look fantastic, wonderful detail on the the eucalyptus!
Congrats Steedy,
Your uke looks awesome and thank you for the fine thread....love the pictures too...WOW
@nice shop bruddah Mike..my personal jet is in the shop, I will ask Scotty to beam me there....Oh I wish I could be there...Congrats too on the beautiful shop...WOW

Top Bottom