One low G one High G

hey_day

Reaction score
I have two tenor ukuleles. One is an all mahogany pono that gets great deep mellow notes and is currently strung with low g ko'olau strings. The other is an all koa built by the guys at covered bridge that gets real nice rich high notes. Generally i use the Koa one for strumming and the Pono for fingerstyle but obviously am not exclusive. Im buying some new strings and am trying to decide which should go low g and which should be high. I know the Ukuleles will end up figuring it out for me but just wondered what others' thoughts are or is anyone has a similar setup they could share.

I haven't been able to personally compare mahgony and koa, but from the sound of things, if I do that when my koa uke comes, I bet I'll be using it in gCEA, and the mahogany in GCEA... I think...

Last edited:
Want even more confusion?

Back when I had two ukes, I had one linear and one re-entrant. Both were solid koa. Both sounded outstanding.

I think you won't be upset whichever way you go. The only other consideration would be if there is a difference in string spacing at the saddle, I'd go with the wider one for finger style.

Have fun in your experiment!

PS: I strongly recommend you go with either the Fremont Blacklines or Orcas for your low G set. Both give da kine sound.

Top Bottom