PDA

View Full Version : ... and then there was one

PoiDog
04-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Well, this weekend was interesting. Along with the normal "honey do" list of chores (replace bathroom faucet, upgrade to GFCI outlet in bathroom, replace kitchen sink trap, repair cracked PVC sprinkler pipe), the wife and I had my cousin and his family over for a pre-birthday bbq for his middle boy (he'll be 13 on the 19th).

After dinner we were sitting around, when he noticed my ukes sitting in a corner. I offered to show him some basics, and he seemed to be really taken by the whole thing. Plus, the kid has musical ability already, as he's been playing the sax for a couple of years now.

So we played for a bit, and the kid just has the knack. I figured since it was his birthday and all ...

Well, my aNueNue has moved on to a new home. I'm now at just the Kanile'a. But its all cool. He was really excited to get the uke, and I know that he'll end up playing the hell out of it. Besides, it was just sitting there. The last time I picked it up was about a month ago.

vanflynn
04-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Congrats on spreading the Aloha

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Very, very cool. Thanks for sharing your story.

hey_day
04-16-2012, 09:46 AM
thats awesome, makes me want to own more just to give them away. what model was it?

benjoeuke
04-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Isn't that a great feeling... giving someone an instrument :)

Shazzbot
04-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Spreading the good cheer.
Cool.
I want to send one uke to Rush Limbaugh and one to Keith Olbermann.
Then force them to jam every Saturday night.

GinnyT11
04-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Excellent! Uke-sharing karma is worth extra points.

What you'll receive from giving away your uke is a jamming buddy, and an extra-special connection to that 2nd cousin.

paeataa
04-16-2012, 10:52 AM
That was really nice of you!!

mm stan
04-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Way to go Poi dog...Spreadin' da Aloha....what bettah way to do so....

PoiDog
04-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Mahalo for all the comments!

I totally agree the best way to spread the aloha is by gifting away the 'ukuleles ... which is why I did that with all four of my ex-ukes. Besides, if I'm going to do the talk, I gotta be able to do the walk, right? Anyway, it is going to a good home, and I got no second thoughts or regrets about it. Besides, I totally agree with what bruddah Stan said, there's no better way to do so.

As far as giving a uke to Rush and Keith ... well, I'll stay away from starting an 'ukulele political battle. Though they both sure could use one.

RyanMFT
04-16-2012, 01:17 PM
What a really kind thing for you to do!

On the flip side, I think your ukulele will get very lonely at night when you are sleeping (a ukulele never sleeps), so when the time is right you should adopt another ukulele just to keep balance and happiness in your home.

Hippie Dribble
04-16-2012, 01:55 PM
PoiDog you're awesome. These things have a way of coming around too so look out for a lovely blessing around the corner in your own life brother... :)

Plainsong
04-16-2012, 02:27 PM
And the more he plays uke, the less he'll play that icky sax! But seriously that's awesome, and now his chord theory is going to grow by leaps and bounds. We wind players never see chords much, this'll be good. :)

jackwhale
04-16-2012, 03:27 PM
That's a great story.

Just so you are aware, my birthday is in February.

mybote
04-17-2012, 01:10 AM
The only thing better than playing a uke, is gifting one to someone else. :cool: