PDA

View Full Version : Martin Strings question...

JoeyJr858
10-15-2008, 06:16 AM
just curious.

I just noticed on a pack of C.F. Martin soprano strings that the notes are B, F#, D and A.

Why are they sold like this and not as G,C,E,A? The above can be tuned to G, C, E A tuning yes?

Here's a link to the string details..
http://www.juststrings.com/cfm-m-600.html

Thx

haole
10-15-2008, 06:21 AM
A-D-F#-B tuning is a whole step (two frets) up from standard G-C-E-A tuning. Sometimes they call it "Canadian tuning." I hear it used to be popular for soprano ukes, but I don't know too many folks who use it now.
Either way, I'm sure those strings would work fine in G-C-E-A.

SuperSecretBETA
10-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Most soprano string packages are labeled that way.
You can tune to gCEA without any problems. There's not much change in tension.

Nuke-ulele
10-15-2008, 09:57 AM
That said, they are not the right strings for GCEA. If GCEA are available and you want GCEA, but those before you buy ADF#B strings, as there will be some difference in tension and it will not drive the soundboard as the uke was designed. These strings will be a little too relaxed.

Many people outside of the United States use ADF#B.

SinisterDom
10-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Martin strings are great. ADF#B was the tuning everyone used before GCEA.

SuperSecretBETA
10-15-2008, 10:54 AM
The stock strings on my soprano sounded like noodles, so I purchased overpriced Martins because my location didn't have anything else. They sounded a lot better than noodles, but they didn't sound good in either C or D tuning. Even Hilo blacks sounded better. I have Aquilas right now on the soprano, but they sound harsh. I think Worths might be a good investment in the future. You could probably knock out 3 sets for a soprano if you use the strings conservatively.