Help! What's the best "advanced" tenor uke?

dirk.li

Reaction score
Aachen, Germany (As exciting as an empty parking-l
Hey guys,
I've been playing the uke for 3 years now and I've found out that I like tenor scale instruments best. I already own some tenor models in the mid price range (Fluke, Ohana TK50-G, Kala Color BLK, etc.) but I don't have an advanced instrument. In Germany it's difficult (if not impossible) to find such instruments to test-play. So I'll have to use mail order.

I've read some reviews, listened to some sound samples and still I don't know which instrument to decide on. Or maybe it's wiser to have a ukulele build by a luthier?? What do you think? The price shouldn't exceed $1,500 (and yes, I will have to save for this! :D )

So, the ukes I'd like to hear your opinions on are:
(If you have other, similar suggestions, please let me know!)

- COLLINGS UT-2 MAHOGANY (what's the difference towards the UT-1 model?)
(Link: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/collings-ut-2-mahogany-tenor-ukulele-and-case--UT2-MAH.htm )

- MARTIN 2K TENOR UKE, KOA STYLE 2
(Link: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/martin-2k-tenor-uke-koa-style-2-ukulele-and-gigbag--2KTENUKE.htm )

- KAMAKA HF-3
(Link: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/kamaka-hf-3-tenor-ukulele-with-case--HF3.htm )

- KANILE'A K-1
(Link: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/kanile%27a-k-1-tenor-ukulele-gloss-finish-and-case--K1T.htm)

Thanks for your help!

With all due respect, Dirk, isn't this a little like asking, "I really like beaches. I've found I'm a beach guy. What is the best beach for a guy like me: Waikiki, Miami Beach, Myrtle Beach or Huntington Beach?"

If you are more specific, it may help... but as it is, you've basically asked for a vote of what tenors each of us plays.

You have done the reading, read the reviews, heard the sound samples, you say, so you honestly, can probably answer the question better than any of us. We should be asking you. LOL

I prefer a Kiwaya, which is not on your list but is the best, in my opinion. It's an uncommon ukulele in tenor. So, I guess I chose a beach few have ever heard of, but if you swim there, it's paradise.

With all due respect, Dirk, isn't this a little like asking, "I really like beaches. I've found I'm a beach guy. What is the best beach for a guy like me: Waikiki, Miami Beach, Myrtle Beach or Huntington Beach?"

If you are more specific, it may help... but as it is, you've basically asked for a vote of what tenors each of us plays.

You have done the reading, read the reviews, heard the sound samples, you say, so you honestly, can probably answer the question better than any of us. We should be asking you. LOL

I prefer a Kiwaya, which is not on your list but is the best, in my opinion. It's an uncommon ukulele in tenor. So, I guess I chose a beach few have ever heard of, but if you swim there, it's paradise.

Hmm... I didn't include Kiwaya in my list because I couldn't find any tenor models online. I own a Kiwaya KMC-K and I think it looks better (built with perfection!) than it sounds. I have played a Koaloha Concert and I liked the sound better. Hmm, I would trade my Kiwaya KMC-K against a similar-priced tenor.

I get your point, it's all a question of flavor, of course! However I remember we had a similar discussion on UU before (between a Honu Traditional / Pono tenor) and Deach explained that the Honu would be more traditional-sounding... So my friend ordered the Honu and was happy with it. What I mean is, that these kind of hints could really help!!

The problem is that I cannot try out these ukuleles. I'll have to make a choice and then order one (also because the postage is expensive). The music stores around here don't have these instruments.

What I'd like to know is what you think (and you said, you liked Kiwaya best). This way you've already helped me. :)

Yeah, :agree: kind of an "apples vs oranges" kind of question. Usually, fans of each will claim theirs is the "best." I feel for you, but you have to decide what you think your "ideal" uke would look like, feel like an sound like. That's why so many players who want an "advanced" uke choose to go custom made, either from a luthier with a great reputation, or from one of the top makers that you have listed. Good luck

Dirk -

You might want to look at the website for Hawaii Music Supply. I've ordered from them with good success. They have good prices and sound clips for many of their ukes.

Good luck!

Yeah, :agree: kind of an "apples vs oranges" kind of question. Usually, fans of each will claim theirs is the "best." I feel for you, but you have to decide what you think your "ideal" uke would look like, feel like an sound like. That's why so many players who want an "advanced" uke choose to go custom made, either from a luthier with a great reputation, or from one of the top makers that you have listed. Good luck

Hmm, it would already help if you explained which brand you preferred and why. :) Maybe I should start a poll and try to find out which one is the most popular? :) I have already ruled out Kiwaya, I can say that much.

I can also say that I'd prefer a 4-stringed instrument made of Koa. However I don't care if it's fancy curly or not. And I'd prefer a glossy varnish. As to the sound, I like a mellow sound that is rich in mids and not so "crisp". It also should come with an additional saddle (one for Low-G another for High-G tuning).

Is that more specific? :)

Hi Dirk. I've had a few tenors from the Kala Acacia which I upgraded to KoAloha and now I have a Mya Moe. Get in line for a Mya Moe. The traditional series may be in your price range. You can put down $300 and begin saving and by the time the uke is finished you'll be good to go. Char, Gordon and Aaron are great to work with.

Also, after re-reading your post about wanting Koa, Mya Moe will give you lots of diifferent koa options to choose from if you want.

Last edited:
Maybe you should order one from Willie Wixom. I just posted a review of a tenor I received yesterday.

Dirk,

Come to UWC again and play as many different models as you can, then decide.

If you are sticking to your list, I cast my vote for the Kamaka... based on the fact that you said you liked the sound of a KoAloha (and so do I)... I think soundwise KoAloha and Kamaka are similar and kinda stand out from the others :)

If you are sticking to your list, I cast my vote for the Kamaka... based on the fact that you said you liked the sound of a KoAloha (and so do I)... I think soundwise KoAloha and Kamaka are similar and kinda stand out from the others :)

Thank you! I've just become aware of the fact that I'm generally more interested in sound than looks. Also Aldrine plays a Kamaka if I'm not mistaken... that's another good reason. :) However I'll check on the custom-made ones mentioned earlier in the thread, too...

Dirk,

Come to UWC again and play as many different models as you can, then decide.

I've already planned my vacation around the UWC this year! However I'm not yet sure if can make it. It will be a last-minute decision on my part depending on whether I'll be able to get a reasonably-priced (last minute) plane ticket or not. In any case I've already ordered a Mainland uke from Mike (a glossy mango tenor with MiSi pickup). So if I won't be able to pick it up personally, I still have something to look forward to... However I swear I will be back in 2013!!

Aloha, Dirk -

As others have said, your question may be almost impossible to answer, because everyone has a different opinion. Also, I don't know if you should judge and decide on a Kamaka because Aldrine plays one. Hell, he could probably play a broken cardboard box with a broomhandle and make it sound good.

That said, perhaps the best thing to do would be to check out that HMS video in which they play the four main K brands one after the other, and listen for which one sounds best to you. At least that way you may be able to hear some of the differences.

As for me, I love my Kanile'a and would recommend it without hesitation. It's got great volume and tone, has a complex sound, and even when strung re-entrant still has considerable bass from the C. And, I have been noticing it starting to gain even more personality and complexity as I play it and it starts to open up.

Fortunately for you, you really likely won't go wrong with whichever you choose. Each of the ukes you're looking at are amazing instruments. Still, finding the one that fits you best (or, more accurately, finding the one you fit best) can really only be done by playing them yourself.

Best of luck!

PS: Aachen can't be that bad. After all, that was the capital of Charlemagne's empire.

I've already planned my vacation around the UWC this year! However I'm not yet sure if can make it. It will be a last-minute decision on my part depending on whether I'll be able to get a reasonably-priced (last minute) plane ticket or not. In any case I've already ordered a Mainland uke from Mike (a glossy mango tenor with MiSi pickup). So if I won't be able to pick it up personally, I still have something to look forward to... However I swear I will be back in 2013!!

The only other thing I can suggest, is do some real soul searching. It sounds stupid, but I was struggling with this question myself very recently. I kept going back and forth, and ultimately decided if I was going to spend that kind of money again (I have been burnt by a K brand before. I dropped a lot of money on a very nice uke that ultimately...I didn't like) I wanted it to be made for me. The next day I put my name on a wait list for a custom.

Best of luck with your decision. It's a tough one.

Also Aldrine plays a Kamaka if I'm not mistaken... that's another good reason. :)

Not any more... He's a Kanile'a man. Got a signature model and everything:

(Me, I'm not a tenor player, so I can't really speak with any authority... but I sure loved noodling around on a friend's Mya-Moe.

I have owned and sold a lot of ukulele's this year because I was in the same position that you are in. IN order to try them, I had to purchase. This was easier for me because the shipping is lower than you, and no extra taxes. As a result, I tried 12 top name ukulele's this past year. All top quality. I am now down to 5 ukuleles. These are my impressions. I hope it helps. What I have learned is the following:

1. Best all around Tenor (for me) is my Kanile'a super tenor - satin finish. A sound that is incredible. I have it strung with low g and it sings. My favorite to play. I sound so good- almost like I know how to play the ukulele :)

2. Kamaka tenor for that traditional Hawaiian sound. Fabulous intonation. Fabulous sustain. Beautiful to hold and look at. At work of art

3. Kanile'a K-1 tenor gloss strung re-entrant. Don''t like it as much as the super tenor because the gloss closes the sound up a bit more, but still, way better than many of the mid-priced models. Even though the projection is not as great as some, the sound it produces is pure and beautiful. As for looks- the nicest of all I own. It is a stunner. When I open the case and others are around- the gasps, ooooh---- aaaaaahhhh, result every time. it is beautiful

4. I really really like the Kanile'a Islander solid Mahogany tenor next. I know it is not considered a top model but for the price/quality ratio, it should be. it is a beautiful tenor that I loved to play.

5. I had a KoAloha Sceptre and the sound was great, but to me, not as great as the super tenor that I have. I also liked the wider neck of the Kanile'a better so I sold the Sceptre to another UU member who loves it. It was a gorgeous instrument and sounded great. It just was not comfortable in my hands.

Aloha, Dirk -

Also, I don't know if you should judge and decide on a Kamaka because Aldrine plays one. Hell, he could probably play a broken cardboard box with a broomhandle and make it sound good.

For that matter, Eddie Vedder plays (one of his ukes) a $700 Pono. I own two and love them like daughters. So, go for a Pono and save yourself a ton of hassle. I mean, if Vedder can record the best selling ukulele album in modern history on a Pono, I think you could play one at your backyard weenie roast. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W0B-1iF6S4

P.S. I know he used a Mya-Moe and a DaSilva, too, but it's a fact that the Pono was used on all the "good" tunes.

Last edited:
You do realize that you can get Kamakas and Kanile'as in Germany? Your next Kamaka dealer is 3 car hours away. ;)

After a small hiccup in the beginning I'm happy with my HF-3 and would buy one again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom