KoAloha tuning (low G)

uke2020

Reaction score
Any reason KoAloha ukes come tuned in low G instead of the usual re-entrant? Do most people play them low G?

Both my KoAlohas came re-entrant, standard tuning and that is how I play them

Pineapple Sunday and Pikate Concert

Mine also did not come low-g. Got it straight from the factory. Concert.

On a side note my Moore Bettah did come low g and I tried re-entrant but it now is my low g uke.

Low G?? Hope mine comes with re-entrant. Can hardly wait!

It's my understanding that only the standard tenors and superconcerts come equipped low g from the factory. In any event one could always inquire with their chosen retailer about getting a different set up to their preference.

Hi,

My brand new KoAloha Tenor came low-G to HMS. They restrung it hi G for me. This was just last week. (BTW: I'm New. Why is this called re-entrant??)

My tenor also came low g. I restrung it high g. Still haven't found a linear g string that doesn't resonate too much and creates a flabby midrange. I've found that I like the fingerpicking possibilities a high g allows for, so I've stuck with reentrant on all my ukes.

BTW: I'm New. Why is this called re-entrant?
This link should help. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reentrant_tuning

A reentrant tuning is a tuning of a stringed instrument where the strings (or more properly the courses on coursed instruments) are not ordered from the lowest pitch to the highest pitch (or vice versa).

A break in an otherwise ascending (or descending) order of string pitches is known as a reentry. Most common reentrant tunings have only one reentry; In the case of the soprano ukulele, for example, the reentry is between the third and fourth strings, while in the case of the Venezuelan cuatro it is between the first and second strings.

My Makala Soprano is reentrant, and my Kala Pineapple is the same. My newest one the Lanikai LU-8 eight string has the lowest strings at seven and eight. I am still working on the tunings but love the double island sound that I have now.

My tenor also came low g. I restrung it high g. Still haven't found a linear g string that doesn't resonate too much and creates a flabby midrange. I've found that I like the fingerpicking possibilities a high g allows for, so I've stuck with reentrant on all my ukes.

Now that I've been playing for a little bit (not long at all), the high g is making more and more sense to me just for the reasons you stated. I was playing a dumbed-down versions of a Bach piece, and the high G being so available was both super convenient, but took some getting used to.

Top Bottom