Anyone attending the upcoming Rick Turner ukulele building class?

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Rick Turner is teaching a four-day ukulele building class (from kits that he supplies) this coming weekend, April 21-22, and the weekend of May 5-6 at the Crucible in Oakland CA. Is anyone here signed up for it? I know there weere a few UUers in the class when Rick Turner taught it in Fall 2011.

There are openings. Enrollment is on the light side this time. But I need to know ASAP re. tenor or soprano...

There are openings. Enrollment is on the light side this time. But I need to know ASAP re. tenor or soprano...

I would take this class again in a heartbeat, but I'm on spring break and won't be home until Sunday afternoon.

The instrument you make sounds awesome, the knowledge you gain is much better than anything you'd learn from videos or YouTube, and the ownership gained from controlling everything from the feel of the neck and frets to creating a nut and saddle for set-up, will make you never want to put it down. And the the amazing part is that you don't need any woodworking experience. Rick is an awesome instructor!!

-Gary

And high school shop teacher Ted Harwood who took the course last year is now teaching an off-shoot to his high school students, and he's overwhelmed with sign-ups!

Have a good time Mark. I wish I could come up for it. I was enrolled in an LA workshop a couple years back, but there wasn't enough interest and it didn't work out.

If I'm going to "take it on the road", I really need six to eight students and to be able to do four days in a row or the travel expenses just wipe out anything I can make on it. I'm trying to coordinate something with my friends at the Museum of Making Music in Carlsbad, CA to do a course down there, maybe at Palomar College. The other issue, of course, is that I'm "it" running my business here in Santa Cruz, and I can't be gone away from here a lot.

I wish I could do this, unfortunately the timing doesn't work for me. I asked participants about this a few weeks ago and heard nothing but praise. I will envy those attending this fantastic workshop.

I would take this class again in a heartbeat, but I'm on spring break and won't be home until Sunday afternoon.

The instrument you make sounds awesome, the knowledge you gain is much better than anything you'd learn from videos or YouTube, and the ownership gained from controlling everything from the feel of the neck and frets to creating a nut and saddle for set-up, will make you never want to put it down. And the the amazing part is that you don't need any woodworking experience. Rick is an awesome instructor!!

-Gary

Gary,

Your threads about your experiences in this class have inspired me to document my build with photos.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?54958-Birth-of-a-uke
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?55311-New-Uke-Day-quot-Birth-of-a-Uke-pt-II-quot

I just hope I remember to bring my camera! I'm still trying to come up with a headstock design. Yikes!

If I'm going to "take it on the road", I really need six to eight students and to be able to do four days in a row or the travel expenses just wipe out anything I can make on it. I'm trying to coordinate something with my friends at the Museum of Making Music in Carlsbad, CA to do a course down there, maybe at Palomar College. The other issue, of course, is that I'm "it" running my business here in Santa Cruz, and I can't be gone away from here a lot.
2 years ago I lived in O-Town and I really wanted to take your class, I moved a few pianos in and out of the Crucible, you remember the one we smashed with a sledge hammer on Good Morning America? I don't think you were there so probably not... anyway, my wife was having our 2nd baby and stuff so I couldn't do the class... please come to Sacramento and you can do one here, it will be easy to get a bunch of people to sign up, right everybody? c'mon Sacramento area, everyone... who's in? :)

I highly recommend this class. For me, it opened up a whole new realm in the world of things ukulele. Since taking the class last October, I've built two more ukuleles from scratch, and with each I learn more. I'm hooked. :)

Top Bottom