PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU pronounce "Aquilas"?

J-Peg
04-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Just wondering, because I've heard both.
And if you have any insight into which pronunciation is actually the correct one it would be appreciated.

Jcollazo
04-17-2012, 03:38 PM
I use... Ah - kwee - las

Hippie Dribble
04-17-2012, 03:40 PM
my simple public school Tasmanian drawl says QUILL. I think you have to come from Hawaii to have the cred to say KEEL. Or be a real good player. Or highly educated. :p

itsme
04-17-2012, 03:43 PM
A previous thread on this:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?35097-How-do-you-pronounce-AQUILA

Steedy
04-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Ack-a-lackas! :cool:

benjoeuke
04-17-2012, 03:51 PM
ah-KEE-la for me but I think the more important question is: How do you pronounce 'Nylgut'? ;)

PhilUSAFRet
04-17-2012, 03:52 PM
It's an Italian word, pronounced Ah keela......means Eagle. google Italian, aquila, and you will get many examples including correct pronunciation! It seems acceptable for "common usage" to prevail these days. i.e.: turmeric vs tumerick,
mascarpone vs marscapone, etc. etc.

ukulelepuapua
04-17-2012, 03:59 PM
It's an Italian word, pronounced Ah keela......means Eagle. google Italian, aquila, and you will get many examples including correct pronunciation! It seems acceptable for "common usage" to prevail these days. i.e.: turmeric vs tumerick,
mascarpone vs marscapone, etc. etc.

Agreed! At the shop Ah Keela is always used :)

PoiDog
04-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Actually, it's a latin word originally, with the pronounciation A-kwill-ah (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/aquila#Pronunciation).

However, everyone I meet goes with a-KEEL-ah.

I asked my grandmother, an honest to god Italian, and she nearly slapped me for doing so, since I ought to have known that it was ah-kwill-ah.

vanflynn
04-17-2012, 04:05 PM
"need Worths". :)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Actually, it's a latin word originally, with the pronounciation A-kwill-ah (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/aquila#Pronunciation).

I asked my grandmother, an honest to god Italian, and she nearly slapped me for doing so, since I ought to have known that it was ah-kwill-ah.

Correct. If we can trust the guy who makes these strings, Mimmo Peruffo, prefers that pronunciation. I forgot to ask him how he pronounces his name though!

benjoeuke
04-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Correct. If we can trust the guy who makes these strings, Mimmo Peruffo, prefers that pronunciation. I forgot to ask him how he pronounces his name though!
Next time you talk to him please ask how to pronounce 'Nylgut' ... Hey, I'm not kidding here guys, really! What kinda word is that anyway?!?! :)

Ukulele JJ
04-17-2012, 05:15 PM
I've always pronounced it "ah-kee-la". I'm not sure if that's proper Italian. (Don't they pronounce their "qu" as "kw", unlike the French?)

Anyhoo, since Nylgut is a nylon version of gut strings, I figure you'd pronounce it "nile-gutt".

JJ

ukuhippo
04-17-2012, 06:19 PM
ah-kee-ljah

mattydee
04-17-2012, 06:51 PM
My Italian speaking wife (not her first language, but she's relatively fluent) says it's actually in between:

Ah-KWEE-luh.

keonepax
04-17-2012, 07:40 PM
I wrote a song about Bosko and Honey and their ukulele safari and include the word "Aquila" in the lyrics. I remember investigating the proper pronunciation of that word and came up with "ah-kwee-lah." Maybe the only song that uses this word??? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoLytfQfeT0

mm stan
04-17-2012, 07:59 PM
My pidgin pronounces it Ah Key Lah... ha ha and I know it's wrong too..

UncleElvis
04-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Isn't Nylgut just, like, nylon gut? So it'd just be... Nile-gut... wouldn't it?

And I pronounce it "Aquila".

Ken Middleton
04-17-2012, 09:14 PM
I proudly thought I had the pronunciation right, but I was corrected by Daniela, the lady who owns the company. The stress is on the first syllable: AH- qui-la. It is definitely not a-KEE-la, the way that nearly everyone in the US pronounces it. Interestingly, most people in Europe get it more or less right, just putting the stress on the wrong syllable.

benjoeuke
04-17-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm sorry but there is no way I am saying, "ah-kwee-la" or "nile-gut" lol ;)

Ken Middleton
04-17-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm sorry but there is no way I am saying, "ah-kwee-la" or "nile-gut" lol ;)

How about "white ukulele strings"? The question then, of course, is how you pronounce "ukulele".

benjoeuke
04-17-2012, 09:39 PM
How about "white ukulele strings"? The question then, of course, is how you pronounce "ukulele".

lol... stop it... lol... I gotta go to bed, it's almost 1:00am!

Ken Middleton
04-17-2012, 09:44 PM
lol... stop it... lol... I gotta go to bed, it's almost 1:00am!

It is the next day here. I am fresh and well-rested and about to have breakfast. Funny thing, time.

frankiefirefox
04-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Incorrectly

chris667
04-18-2012, 12:41 AM
I pronounce it pəˈdæn.tɪk. ;)

1931jim
04-18-2012, 02:25 AM
It is the next day here. I am fresh and well-rested and about to have breakfast. Funny thing, time.
Ahkeelah or Tequila for breakfast anyone.

Dougf
04-18-2012, 03:33 AM
It depends on which language. In Italian it is pronounced AH-kwee-la, in Spanish it is a-KEE-la, in English, who knows? We mispronounce everything. Why do we say Paris, when we know damn well that the people who live there call it Paree?

Here's a link to the correct Italian pronunciation:

http://www.forvo.com/word/aquila/

hmgberg
04-18-2012, 04:11 AM
I've taken to pronouncing it variously depending on my whim. That way, not only do I enjoy indulging myself, but I'm certain that I'm pronouncing it correctly at least occasionally. Being right some of the time beats being wrong all of the time.

mimmo
04-18-2012, 04:37 AM
Hi
I I would like to send you a short file how aquila is pronunced.
The problem is that I do not know how to insert it here in my answer
Sorry!
Mimmo Italy

SailingUke
04-18-2012, 05:06 AM

I am with Ken, when I go to a shop to buy them I just ask for "them thar white strings".

Freeda
04-18-2012, 05:09 AM
It depends on which language. In Italian it is pronounced AH-kwee-la, in Spanish it is a-KEE-la, in English, who knows? We mispronounce everything. Why do we say Paris, when we know damn well that the people who live there call it Paree?

Here's a link to the correct Italian pronunciation:

http://www.forvo.com/word/aquila/

I say it the Spanish way.

Ken Middleton
04-18-2012, 05:35 AM
I say it the Spanish way.

Even though it is an Italian word for an Italian product, made by an Italian company, I like to say it in Latvian. The word is ērglis.

It is also nice in Japanese: ワシ. Of course in Swedish it has a nice avian ring to it: eagle.

PoiDog
04-18-2012, 06:04 AM
So, even though Mimmo himself has said the correct way to pronounce it is A-kwil-ah, most people here continue to insist on pronouncing it A-keel-ah.

Amazing. Why not just say the word the way it is supposed to be said? It's not hard.

benjoeuke
04-18-2012, 06:14 AM
OK Poidog, but only if the whole world promises to say 'oo-koo-lay-lay' ;)

Dougf
04-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Why not just say the word the way it is supposed to be said? It's not hard.

Great question. It drove me crazy during the 2008 Olympics when NBC consistently mispronounced Bejing as 'Beizhing', where 'zh' is the transliteration of the soft 'j' sound, like the french 'j'. NBC should have known better, and to me, it seemed pretty arrogant, like they didn't even care.

PoiDog
04-18-2012, 06:35 AM
OK Poidog, but only if the whole world promises to say 'oo-koo-lay-lay' ;)

Is oo-koo-leh-leh better?

benjoeuke
04-18-2012, 06:41 AM

how bout a compromise... oo-koo-leh-lay

OldePhart
04-18-2012, 06:43 AM
I pronounce it pəˈdæn.tɪk. ;)

BWAAA-HAAAAA - have to admit it took me a second...

John

OldePhart
04-18-2012, 06:44 AM
I've taken to pronouncing it variously depending on my whim. That way, not only do I enjoy indulging myself, but I'm certain that I'm pronouncing it correctly at least occasionally. Being right some of the time beats being wrong all of the time.

Ahhh...the old "even a stopped clock is right twice a day" approach...

1931jim
04-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by PoiDog
Why not just say the word the way it is supposed to be said? It's not hard.

Great question. It drove me crazy during the 2008 Olympics when NBC consistently mispronounced Bejing as 'Beizhing', where 'zh' is the transliteration of the soft 'j' sound, like the french 'j'. NBC should have known better, and to me, it seemed pretty arrogant, like they didn't even care.
HaHa!! Wot dos NBC mean??

Dougf
04-18-2012, 07:04 AM

If you want to get technical, the word 'ukulele begins with a glottal stop, as indicated by the 'okina. This is the sound we make in English when we say, "Uh oh", between the the Uh and the Oh, or in some British dialects for the 't' or 'd' sound in the middle of a word. However, I'm guessing few people even in Hawai'i say it that way. The 'okina means it would be more correct to say "a 'ukuele", rather than "an 'ukulele".

mimmo
04-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Hi,
here is:

http://www.aquilacorde.com/images/aquila.mp3

So you can hear how to prounance Aquila like a true italian :)

Ciao
Mimmo

1931jim
04-18-2012, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by PoiDog

If you want to get technical, the word 'ukulele begins with a glottal stop, as indicated by the 'okina. This is the sound we make in English when we say, "Uh oh", between the the Uh and the Oh, or in some British dialects for the 't' or 'd' sound in the middle of a word. However, I'm guessing few people even in Hawai'i say it that way. The 'okina means it would be more correct to say "a 'ukuele", rather than "an 'ukulele".
Hello Dougf,
I just love this class for seniors on dialects. Reminds me of the P being silent as in swimming.
Regards
Jim

mattydee
04-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Hi,
here is:

http://www.aquilacorde.com/images/aquila.mp3

So you can hear how to prounance Aquila like a true italian :)

Ciao
Mimmo

There you have it. AH-kwee-lah.

RevWill
04-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Aqualung. Sitting on a park bench.

OldePhart
04-18-2012, 11:36 AM
...eyeing little girls with bad intent...

Man, some of those tull songs were a little creapy... LOL

PhilUSAFRet
04-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Actually, it's a latin word originally, with the pronounciation A-kwill-ah (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/aquila#Pronunciation). I asked my grandmother, an honest to god Italian, and she nearly slapped me for doing so, since I ought to have known that it was ah-kwill-ah.

Originally, I must have picked the only site that mis-pronounces the word, LOL! It is pronounced Ah quilah, with emphasis on the A !!!! Hmmm, guess I've had too much Spanish. Seems like the latin word has some different meanings than common usage by honest to God Italians (I have to defer, I'm only half Italian) Now I have to decide whether to go with the flow, or pronounce it correctly. Hmmmm, probably more "Aloha" to live and let live. Mahalo!

:nana:

Dougf
04-18-2012, 12:35 PM
For a bit more pedanticism, the Spanish word is actually "águila", AH-gee-lah, with a hard g. This word is clearly a cognate of the Italian word "aquila", AH-kwee-lah, and both are cognates of the English word "eagle", EE-gul.

PoiDog
04-19-2012, 04:53 AM
For a bit more pedanticism, the Spanish word is actually "águila", AH-gee-lah, with a hard g. This word is clearly a cognate of the Italian word "aquila", AH-kwee-lah, and both are cognates of the English word "eagle", EE-gul.

I really should know better than to try and out-pedantic you, Doug, but seeing as how Latin predates english, how could the latin (or Italian) "Aquila" be a cognate of the english "Eagle?" Wouldn't it be the other way around?

I'll duck while you suitably chastise me for being brash.

Dougf
04-19-2012, 05:02 AM
I really should know better than to try and out-pedantic you, Doug, but seeing as how Latin predates english, how could the latin (or Italian) "Aquila" be a cognate of the english "Eagle?" Wouldn't it be the other way around?

I'll duck while you suitably chastise me for being brash.

Technically you have a point, since the Italian 'aquila' comes from Latin unchanged. But it is also in a sense descended from Latin, as is 'eagle', so they're kind of like cousins. Here's from etymology.com:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=eagle&searchmode=none