Votes: 37 49.3%
  • a-QUILL-ahs

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • Other (please post)

Votes: 6 8.0%

• Total voters

J-Peg

Reaction score
Just wondering, because I've heard both.
And if you have any insight into which pronunciation is actually the correct one it would be appreciated.

I use... Ah - kwee - las

my simple public school Tasmanian drawl says QUILL. I think you have to come from Hawaii to have the cred to say KEEL. Or be a real good player. Or highly educated. :p

Last edited:
It's an Italian word, pronounced Ah keela......means Eagle. google Italian, aquila, and you will get many examples including correct pronunciation! It seems acceptable for "common usage" to prevail these days. i.e.: turmeric vs tumerick,
mascarpone vs marscapone, etc. etc.

It's an Italian word, pronounced Ah keela......means Eagle. google Italian, aquila, and you will get many examples including correct pronunciation! It seems acceptable for "common usage" to prevail these days. i.e.: turmeric vs tumerick,
mascarpone vs marscapone, etc. etc.

Agreed! At the shop Ah Keela is always used :)

Actually, it's a latin word originally, with the pronounciation A-kwill-ah.

However, everyone I meet goes with a-KEEL-ah.

I asked my grandmother, an honest to god Italian, and she nearly slapped me for doing so, since I ought to have known that it was ah-kwill-ah.

Actually, it's a latin word originally, with the pronounciation A-kwill-ah.

However, everyone I meet goes with a-KEEL-ah.

I asked my grandmother, an honest to god Italian, and she nearly slapped me for doing so, since I ought to have known that it was ah-kwill-ah.

Correct. If we can trust the guy who makes these strings, Mimmo Peruffo, prefers that pronunciation. I forgot to ask him how he pronounces his name though!

Correct. If we can trust the guy who makes these strings, Mimmo Peruffo, prefers that pronunciation. I forgot to ask him how he pronounces his name though!
Next time you talk to him please ask how to pronounce 'Nylgut' ... Hey, I'm not kidding here guys, really! What kinda word is that anyway?!?! :)

I've always pronounced it "ah-kee-la". I'm not sure if that's proper Italian. (Don't they pronounce their "qu" as "kw", unlike the French?)

Anyhoo, since Nylgut is a nylon version of gut strings, I figure you'd pronounce it "nile-gutt".

JJ

ah-kee-ljah

I wrote a song about Bosko and Honey and their ukulele safari and include the word "Aquila" in the lyrics. I remember investigating the proper pronunciation of that word and came up with "ah-kwee-lah." Maybe the only song that uses this word??? :D

Isn't Nylgut just, like, nylon gut? So it'd just be... Nile-gut... wouldn't it?

And I pronounce it "Aquila".

I proudly thought I had the pronunciation right, but I was corrected by Daniela, the lady who owns the company. The stress is on the first syllable: AH- qui-la. It is definitely not a-KEE-la, the way that nearly everyone in the US pronounces it. Interestingly, most people in Europe get it more or less right, just putting the stress on the wrong syllable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom