Anyone have two of the exact same brand /model for low/ high g tuning?

Terrys

Reaction score
I know it's subjective and ultimately my choice but I'm attempting not to get caught up in a flavor of the month acquisition syndrome yet I still want one of each strung up ready to go for linear and reentrant tuning.I know apparently impossible to avoid UAS from what I see on here LOL.
I was wondering if anyone has two of the exact same brand,model, and wood type with each strung up differently.
I haven't played a ton of different models/ brands but it seems like fingerboard consistency would be a plus and I just like the looks of the brand I'm already getting.
I was thinking of getting my second Uke, and have one a cutaway tuned linear for easy jazz guitar skills transfer.The other a high g non cutaway for traditional arrangments and learning the "right way".
Any thoughts appreciated.

I did until recently - 2 Kamaka HF-2 concerts, one low G and one re-entrant. They were my only two players until last summer when I realized I was more comfortable playing soprano (which doesn't usually take well to low G, so for that I still play concert).

I'm a big believer in consistency - I find I progress better when I play the same instrument all the time, so having two of the exact same uke for low G/re-entrant just seems logical to me.

I bought my first expensive ukulele, a Kamaka HF-3 tenor, on Kauai in April 2011. A few months later, a beautiful used (but in mint condition) Kamaka HF-3 showed up at Gryphon Stringed Instruments at what was an irresistable price for a practically new Kamaka tenor, so I bought it and asked Gryphon to restring it with a Worth low g (non-wound) set. There's still some variability, though, because the two ukuleles have different strings (my reentrant Kamaka still has the strings Kamaka uses) and there's some variation from ukulele to ukulele from the same luthier. I probably wouldn't have bought a second HF-3 new, but the price on the used one made it possible to have both. I'm glad that when I want to switch from re-entrant to low g, I don't have to adapt to a different model of ukulele.

Last edited:
yes, I do

I keep two Kala archtops with the different tunings for different effects. I have other ukes with other tunings. D tuning, Cuarto tuning. They all have their benefits.

Top Bottom