Mold clamping rods

erich@muttcrew.net

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get "expander rods" like this (or some other type of contraption) that I can use to press the sides against the mold from the inside? Sorry, I'm not sure what they're called.

2011-08-17231402.jpg

They are called a turn buckle and they have them at our local little hardware store. The ACE in town has 'em too. Some have hooks on the end instead of an eye. I make something that works the same out of a piece of 1/2" tubing, 3/8" allthread and a 3/8 wing nut. The tubing glues into a hole on one side and the allthread glues into the other side and the wing nut adjusts the pressure against the tube. I saw this on a luthier website but can't remember where. Cheap and works great

If I had a dollar for everytime the yanks have mentioned getting something at the local hardware that you can't even get at the best specialty outlet here.......................

This isn't one of those times. You can even buy them in the local hardware here.

you can also use a piece of 1/4" threaded rod with a nut and washer at each end and a 1/4" hole drilled into your wood cauls.

Turnbuckles are used a lot on sailing boats, so an online chandlery (apparently "marineladen") should supply you. There are Uk chandleries which sell to Germany - 8mm turnbuckles are around GBP 6, but you could probably get away with 6mm.

The reason they are freely available in the US is because they are 'household' hardware. Perhaps US cousins can enlighten us to their use - I believe I saw them used in screen doors but could easily be mistaken... they are not freely available here in the UK. Ken has a great work around for this problem....

Ken has a great work around for this problem....

I just use a screw jack made from two pieces of threaded rod, a connecting nut and a locking nut and a 3mm piece of rod used as a tommy bar.
PICT7233.jpg

Their main use was to tighten support wires for TV antennas. So at one time every house in the US had three on the roof or often six.

'Freely available' means down at the local B&Q. Lets face it, you can get just about anything on eBay now :)

Here is what a friend of mine, Dave Gill uses. I don't think he minds my posting it. He can pull it out through the sound hole when the box is completely assembled.

Attachments

• S3010008.jpg
    S3010008.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 51
Thanks everyone - I appreciate it.

Now that you mention it, I know I've seen buckles like these used to tighten the stays on a sailboat. I was so focused on the "pushing outwards" function that I didn't see the wire tightening aspect in the other direction :eek: Anyway, there are plenty of sailing supply shops around here, so I'll just go on down to the harbor side of town and get some.

And yes, you can find them on ebay if you remember what they're called.... Now where was that shopping list.

Last edited:
The German word for them are Spannschrauben. Took me a while to find a place in Germany that have them, but I'm not sure if the price is right. Check here: http://www.rjtools.de/Webwinkel-Category-117918/Auge-Auge.html I don't know how much they cost in the states, they may even be cheaper if you order them from the states even with shipping. I haven't gotten that far to building. I'm still working on my mold. BTW, where do you order your European Spruce. I live in the middle of the "Fichtelgebirge" (= Spruce mountains), but there are no dealers around here. Thanks, and I hope I could help.

Yes, although "Spannschloss" is the more commonly used term. Interestingly, there is a different word in German for the ones used to tighten the stays on a sailboat: "Wantenspanner", whereas in English "turnbuckle" is used for both.

A propos spruce, have you tried Kollitz? They're in Weisendorf, near Erlangen. We've also gotten excellent spruce from Tonholz Kreuzer in Mittenwald - in the Alps way at the other end of Bavaria.

Thanks for the links, I think I'll give Tonholz Kreuzer a try. Although, I could always drive out to Weisendorf it's only 90 minutes away. There are more possibilities when I look up "Spannschloss". My translator didn't give anything else other than "Spannschraube". Thanks again.

Top Bottom