Lanikai LU-21 Soprano

lfcynwa

Reaction score
I've got a Lanikai LU-21 Soprano and I don't know what kind of strings to get. I been reading good reviews about Aquila, D'Addario and Worth strings. I know I have the Aquila from when I bought my Lanikai. Is there a particular type/material/tuning/tension I should be looking for?

Those aquilas should be good for the start. Strings types are personal choices. You really need to try various strings out yourself to see what works. Different styles and different Ukes all come into play. At a couple bucks ( quid ) a set, that's half the fun. Remember that you can take strings off and put them back on.

Have fun and enjoy the journey.

Last edited:
Thanks vanflynn! So it doesn't really matter as long as I buy the strings that correspond to the size of my uke, right? I.e. Soprano for soprano.

Different strings suit different ukes and different ears so do experiment,

That said, with a decent Laminate wood uke like the LU21, I'd start with Aquila sopranos, and would wager that they may serve you best. If you bought in the Uk, I thought the LU21 came with Aquilas?

Oh and I'm with you brother - YNWA and JFT96

Yeah the Lanikai I have came with Aquila strings. The Aquilas do sound good. As of now, I am leaning towards D'Addario. Like you said, I'm going to try and experiment since I do already know how Aquilas sound. Thanks!

Ps. I am from the US but a Liverpudlian at heart! Haha YNWA JFT96

One more tip: it is normal for new strings to take some time to stretch and settle in, so you'll find yourself re-tuning frequently at first.

cantsing - do they ever. I have Aquila's on my LU-11 and they are all over the place after 3 weeks. I wandered into a pawn shop to try a few broken-in ukulele's...mostly just to test whether I'm going nuts or not about the strings. Sure enough, a nice pineapple Luna had the Aquila's and they were fine. Just give them time and play them like hell!

strange. My Lanikai LU-21 (with Aquilas) barely need tuning. They stay in tune surprisingly well.

strange. My Lanikai LU-21 (with Aquilas) barely need tuning. They stay in tune surprisingly well.

Nice. The Aquila strings are worn in and ready for months of fun. You'll know it's time to try out another set of strings when the Aquila set starts to fall out tune quickly. (D'Addario and Worth are both great, and are quite different both from each other and from Aquila.)

Have fun!

I ordered a Stewmac nut file today, the two-sided .026"/.032". Action just too high at first fret(s)! It looks like a simple setup issue so I should be regularly in-tune in a few days.

Back to that pineapple Luna I tried there was a flexibility to the Aquila's that I don't have yet. I'm sure that's just lots of playing and flexing of the strings which makes them that way.

Top Bottom