what microphone can you suggest?

macaxx

Reaction score
Hi guys!

i'm planning to buy a microphone. it's fun to listen to yourself playing especially you have a good microphone that doesn't have a delay not likely just like your stock microphone on your laptop. I recorded yesterday about Canon In D which Sir Aldrine Guerrero taught us. you can find that by using the search button. i tried to record my playing but the quality isn't that good. it has the 'bzz' sound and it has delays. please suggest to me what kind of microphone should i buy. by the way, if you can suggest a usb-microphone it would be better cause it is cheaper hahahaha. thanks!

Mark

I second the Snowball with one caveat: The levels are just too low. I've got a newer version of the mic that won't accept the high gain firmware fix... and searching around the web, this is a known issue. I emailed Snowball, but all they did was add me to a spam list and ignore the support request.

The quality is good, and you can boost it to a point in whatever editing app you're using, but just be aware that no one would ever say it's a sensitive mic. Good? Yes. Noise-free? Yes. Accurate enough for us mortals? Yes. Just not sensitive.

I have the Blue Yeti, which I think is a step up from the Snowball, and I'm happy with it. For being a USB microphone, the sound is really clear. The only downside I've found is that the cord is ultra sensitive where it plugs into the microphone. However, I got my Yeti right after they came out, it's possible they've fixed this issue since then.

Edit: It could be either a good or a bad thing depending on what you want the mic for, but I forgot to mention, the Yeti is giant, it's practically the size of a baby. So if you want a really portable USB mic, I'd say stick to the Snowball. I mean, the Yeti is portable, I carried it in my backpack to Germany and the wires only got mistake for a bomb once, but it is kind of heavy.

Verdict:
Nice USB mic to stay in one play: Yeti
More portable USB mic: Snowball

Last edited:
I have the samson C01U mic it is a good little usb mic, you get cakewalk recording software with it to, so hyou can have a mixing desk as well, but i plug it in my laptop and use it for the webcam it cost £70.

+1 on the Yeti. Check out clips on YouTube for sound samples. It's a step up from the Snowball.

I use the at2020 and the h4 zoom recorder. Both work well. I like the at2020 for voiceover and the zoom for instrument recording.

I would have loved to get the Yeti, but I prefer recording with the iPad, and the Yeti is a bit of a pain from that. The USB power issue, and only specific hubs that aren't sold locally will work. I might have a think about this issue again if they ever finally release the Spark Digital. :)

But yeah, quality from the Snowball is so much better than the dynamic xlr mics I have.

I used a Blue Snowball for a couple years, but I didn't like the fact I had to have it plugged into a netbook to use it.

I recently got a Zoom H2. I like that I can use it ANYwhere! It runs on batteries. You transfer the files from it to your computer via a USB cable (included). Then I take recordings into Audacity (like I did with the Snowball) and fiddle with the sound levels a bit there. I used it on my latest video. http://youtu.be/ZPuQQN9GYNM The extra reverb you hear I put in with Sony Vegas. But the other lovely sound effects are from the Eleuke plugged into a Roland MicroCube amp.

My main reason for giving up using the Snowball was not being able to use it anywhere, anytime. Otherwise, I liked it!

Mousie

I use a Snowball and love it, FWIW.

JJ

+1 on the Zoom H2. It records fantastically and works awesome as a USB audio interface as well.

Top Bottom