PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Ukefest?

BasicUke
04-19-2012, 06:56 AM
I won't be doing UWC this year as I am previously blah blah blah ...

anyway...

I was thinking of doing the Midwest Ukefest (http://www.midwestukefest.com/). Anyone gone to this? I have never heard of any of the instructors nor have I ever heard of Druid Moon Ukuleles.

Anyone know the story here? Is it worth the money?

Jim

coolkayaker1
04-19-2012, 07:25 AM
I won't be going, but it looks like fun.

Freeda
04-19-2012, 07:29 AM
This is the first I've seen of it, but I might be down to go to that!

sukie
04-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Never heard of it. Sounds fun, though. Also consider the Milwaukee Uke Fest in early October. It's a good one.

bigchiz
04-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Being a Nebraskan it seems that East coast folks think anything west of Pennsylvania is the "midwest". Just had to throw that out there. Not a problem, just an observation.

Here's another event to consider. It's in Omaha and the 2012 billing isn't finalized but I hear Jake Hill will be one of the clinicians.

Ukulele Hoopla
http://www.ukehoopla.webs.com/

BasicUke
04-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Never heard of it. Sounds fun, though. Also consider the Milwaukee Uke Fest in early October. It's a good one.

Milwaukee might be do-able. I'll look into that!

BasicUke
04-19-2012, 09:25 AM
This is the first I've seen of it, but I might be down to go to that!

Yeah, I don't even remember how I found it. It looks good, but like I said, I have never heard of any of the instructors, never heard of the company sponsoring, I haven't even run across anyone who has been there. There are no youtube vids from there... it's just strange. Maybe I am just used to the coverage of UWC!

I'd like to know if there were UUers going! Let me know if you decide to go, Freeda. You doing Mighty Uke Day, too?

Freeda
04-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I don't even remember how I found it. It looks good, but like I said, I have never heard of any of the instructors, never heard of the company sponsoring, I haven't even run across anyone who has been there. There are no youtube vids from there... it's just strange. Maybe I am just used to the coverage of UWC!

I'd like to know if there were UUers going! Let me know if you decide to go, Freeda. You doing Mighty Uke Day, too?

I am. I was gonna do the overnight but now am just thinking of making it a one day trip. I don't really want to see the movie again, I just want to do the workshops.

BasicUke
04-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Same here. One-Dayer. I am going to do the right-hand workshop with Lil' Rev and the Gerald Ross. I am not going to do the "Hot Licks" because I want to see the featured performers. I am skipping the movie too, but will be doing the concert and late night jam!

The Lil' Rev workshops are $40 each and you have to call Elderly to register early.

thomdawg
04-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Look into the MightyMo Uke Fest in New Haven Mo. My group, The Flea Bitten Dawgs, are playing as well as Cali Rose from Cal. It is in a cool venue which you can see on line.

BasicUke
04-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Look into the MightyMo Uke Fest in New Haven Mo. My group, The Flea Bitten Dawgs, are playing as well as Cali Rose from Cal. It is in a cool venue which you can see on line.

Sorry, that's 10 hours for me.

Freeda
04-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Same here. One-Dayer. I am going to do the right-hand workshop with Lil' Rev and the Gerald Ross. I am not going to do the "Hot Licks" because I want to see the featured performers. I am skipping the movie too, but will be doing the concert and late night jam!

The Lil' Rev workshops are $40 each and you have to call Elderly to register early.

I will do that, tomorrow if I can, payday if I can't!

BasicUke
04-19-2012, 05:40 PM
I will do that, tomorrow if I can, payday if I can't!

You doing both?

This is my first Uke Fest of any sort, that's why I am asking so many questions!

Jim

Freeda
04-19-2012, 05:44 PM
You doing both?

This is my first Uke Fest of any sort, that's why I am asking so many questions!

Jim

I will call Elderly and lock down my class choices. ;)

Midwest ukefest is the same weekend hubby is deploying so I will have to look very closely at the timing to see if it will work.

BasicUke
04-20-2012, 12:45 AM
I will call Elderly and lock down my class choices. ;)

Midwest ukefest is the same weekend hubby is deploying so I will have to look very closely at the timing to see if it will work.

Hope it works for ya! And if you hear of anyone who has actually gone to a Midwest Ukefest, let me know!

ukeeku
04-20-2012, 02:48 AM
Hope it works for ya! And if you hear of anyone who has actually gone to a Midwest Ukefest, let me know!
This is the first year for that version of the Midwest Ukefest. the real one was run by Geoff Davis of hoosier ukes and Bluestone folk school. My opinion is that it is way too expensive for the quality of teachers and the performers. Milwaukee has actual people you have heard of and it is half the cost. I will not be going for several reasons.
1. All the teachers and FolkCraft are not really that into ukuleles, they are in it for the money at this point.
2. Too expensive

BasicUke
04-20-2012, 07:55 AM
This is the first year for that version of the Midwest Ukefest. the real one was run by Geoff Davis of hoosier ukes and Bluestone folk school. My opinion is that it is way too expensive for the quality of teachers and the performers. Milwaukee has actual people you have heard of and it is half the cost. I will not be going for several reasons.
1. All the teachers and FolkCraft are not really that into ukuleles, they are in it for the money at this point.
2. Too expensive

A voice I trust has spoken! Thanks, Tim!

I thought they were kinda spendy, but I guess I am still such a noobie I wasn't sure.

I will change the calender to hit Milwaukee instead! Nobody has piped up to say Midwest Ukefest was wonderful!

Jim

hoosierhiver
04-20-2012, 07:58 AM
The Milwaukee Fest is wonderful! Go Rev!

frets alot
06-13-2012, 11:18 AM
2. Too expensive

I don't know much about the Midwest Ukefest, but I do know some things about Folkcraft (sponsoring the event) and Bing Futch, one of the instructors. I'm an avid mountain dulcimer player (but new to ukes). I have a Folkcraft dulcimer and the company makes great dulcimers and are wonderful to deal with. I know they make ukes too, but have never seen one in person, so I cannot make a statement about them. I do know that the dulcimers that Folkcraft makes are of great quality, have great intonation and sound great too. So, I would think that the Druid Moon ukes are probably of similar quality and workmanship, but that's just a guess on my part. Bing Futch is a well-known professional mountain dulcimer player. He's an excellent instructor and has many instructional videos on YouTube and books and cds. He's well-respected in the dulcimer community. Again, I've never heard him play the uke, but if he's at all as good on the uke as he is on dulcimer, he'd be a great instructor and fun to listen to. I know a lot of you are probably saying, just because they make great dulcimers, doesn't mean they know how to make a great ukulele. And, you could be right. I'm just saying, they are a well-respected company in my world of dulcimers and the instructors are too. I'm not affiliated with them in any way....just know a thing or two about them and some of the folks that will be at the Midwest Ukefest. So, I thought I'd maybe provide a little information here for those of you who may be considering it. If I wasn't already busy at that time, I'd probably being going to check it out. You never know, maybe some of you uke gurus could pick up and start learning the dulcimer! It's a great instrument (just like the uke).

sukie
06-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Just looked at prices. $175.00??? Way too expensive, in my opinion. Yep -- hold out for Milwaukee.

ADD
08-08-2012, 12:35 AM
2. Too expensive

Tim, you completely missed the mark on this one. The quality of the teachers and performers was second to none. They may not be as well known in the ukulele world because they are a more diverse group of musicians and into other instruments (dulcimer, harmonica) besides the ukulele and play them all equally well and right up there as your well know ukulele performers. One instructor, Bing, who taught just the beginners was new to the ukulele, but from his performances on the ukulele you would never know it. He is a gifted musician and teacher who made learning the uke fun and exciting. His energy, joy and love of music, life and entertaining made the day more memorable and me just so grateful for the experience.

By comparing this to the Milwaukee Uke Fest at half the cost, you must not have noticed that Milwaukee is one day and Midwest is two full days. The difference between the two is even more striking. An analogy that works for me was the feeling of being treated as a special guest at a family celebration as opposed to attending a big company picnic. And although I might not have heard of Uncle John, he's a real person who turns out to be a better teacher and equally good entertainer and musician as the higher priced, advertised well known performers hired by the company. Oh and as a sideline the farm family creates beautiful, quality ukuleles, because they love music. The big company on the other hand makes great ukuleles too and they are in it for the money as well as the love of music.

Unfortunately, BasicUke missed out on a great opportunity.

There is another thread that HarmonicaBruce started on 8-02-2012: Midwest Uke Fest. You might want to read it. I wrote a more complete review of my experience. I will be going to Milwaukee again, but the Midwest Uke Fest holds a special place in my heart, similar to UWC.

ADD
08-08-2012, 12:54 AM
I don't know much about the Midwest Ukefest, but I do know some things about Folkcraft (sponsoring the event) and Bing Futch, one of the instructors. I'm an avid mountain dulcimer player (but new to ukes). I have a Folkcraft dulcimer and the company makes great dulcimers and are wonderful to deal with. I know they make ukes too, but have never seen one in person, so I cannot make a statement about them. I do know that the dulcimers that Folkcraft makes are of great quality, have great intonation and sound great too. So, I would think that the Druid Moon ukes are probably of similar quality and workmanship, but that's just a guess on my part. Bing Futch is a well-known professional mountain dulcimer player. He's an excellent instructor and has many instructional videos on YouTube and books and cds. He's well-respected in the dulcimer community. Again, I've never heard him play the uke, but if he's at all as good on the uke as he is on dulcimer, he'd be a great instructor and fun to listen to. I know a lot of you are probably saying, just because they make great dulcimers, doesn't mean they know how to make a great ukulele. And, you could be right. I'm just saying, they are a well-respected company in my world of dulcimers and the instructors are too. I'm not affiliated with them in any way....just know a thing or two about them and some of the folks that will be at the Midwest Ukefest. So, I thought I'd maybe provide a little information here for those of you who may be considering it. If I wasn't already busy at that time, I'd probably being going to check it out. You never know, maybe some of you uke gurus could pick up and start learning the dulcimer! It's a great instrument (just like the uke).

Just want to thank you for posting this. I hate to think that some of us might be exhibiting a bit of uke snobbery. Just got back from the Midwest Uke Fest. Wonderful experience, the Ash family are so genuine and caring. Folkcraft ukes and dulcimers are beautiful, quality instruments. And so excited and can't wait to get the dulcimer I ordered, hard to believe it is a basic level, and start learning how to play. Will be using Bing's instructional DVD and books that I brought back with me.

frets alot
08-08-2012, 02:14 AM
Just want to thank you for posting this. I hate to think that some of us might be exhibiting a bit of uke snobbery. Just got back from the Midwest Uke Fest. Wonderful experience, the Ash family are so genuine and caring. Folkcraft ukes and dulcimers are beautiful, quality instruments. And so excited and can't wait to get the dulcimer I ordered, hard to believe it is a basic level, and start learning how to play. Will be using Bing's instructional DVD and books that I brought back with me.

Glad you enjoyed the festival. Yes, the folks at Folkcraft are wonderful. Congrats on the new dulcimer. You'll love it. It's a really enjoyable and beautiful instrument. I really love it. You'll get alot out of Bing's instruction...he's just great.

Ukulelerob
08-08-2012, 02:51 AM

OK, ya convinced me Bonita. I'll have to go next year.

Remember when you are coming through my area you always have a place to stop in and rest for a while (Over night? Well it might be over day for you?). Think of my place as Rob's Oasis.

ADD
08-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks, Rob. It was great visiting with you all and jamming until almost midnight. The trip home was one of best. So little traffic and of course I was wide away. Thanks for dinner. In a PM would you please send me your address and Lynn's too. Thanks to Lynn for directing me to the Interstate. Was a pretty straight shot. See you at the Milwaukee Uke Fest. You know you ae always welcomed here if you are every travelling down this way. I am only 3 blocks on I-80.