Playing with Less - Jake Shimabukuro

This is why I like Jake so much, because behind the speed, technique and sheer power, he is a true musician and sensitive soul at heart.

A great video! thanks for posting the link.

Ivan

I'd be as happy as a Buddhist monk if I had a JS Signature Kamaka with slotted head and Gilbert tuners. I swear.

Last edited:
I spent a good part of the day with Jake last sunday and the thing I walked away with from the entire event is exactly what he talks about here at the end of his video-- that the ukulele does nothing more than convey what is in his soul - his essence. He truly lives in the moment and is happy just to be there with you, enjoying life at the moment. He is very centered but what I saw that really impressed me was how unselfish he is. He is at peace and he is content but he wants to let you in to experience it and to share that with him. Truly Amazing--- and he can really play that ukulele, too :)

Amazing. Love it.

I enjoy the overall positiveness of course. I mean what's not to like? But I can't help but think that what he says at first makes no sense when you think about it. It's difficult to be happy when you're alone, and you're done with being alone. It's difficult to be happy in abusive settings, like a bad job. It's difficult to be happy when your basic needs as a human being aren't being met.

It's easy for him to say those things when he's already achieved in his life. It's easy for the Dalai Lama to say these things when he is by design at the top of his caste.

Sometimes, being unhappy is exactly the correct feeling for the situation. I mean I'm happy as a clam (assuming that's pretty happy!) right now, and I can recognize that this is horrible to hear for someone down on their luck.

I figure he means that you should concentrate on the self and everything else is just set decoration that you don't need. But to someone not in a good place, this message will sound like nails on a chalkboard.

I don't mean to offend anyone, and like I said before, I enjoy his positiveness. I'm just saying that he gave this advice on a camera, to be broadcast, and maybe it's not good advice for everyone. Or rather, it's not the right thing that people always need to hear. I've got a friend who's hurting, who has a right to be hurt, and these words would be a slap in the face to them.

I don't know, sometimes we start talking nonsense and sometimes it just so happens to be filmed. I like Jake, but don't agree with what he says at the start.

It's actually not Jake's philosophy. It's His Holiness the Dalai Lama that espouses happiness above all.

I read his book (DH, not Jake)...and it's a bunch of pie-in-the-sky platitudes that can only truly be lived by a monk in a monastery.

That said, if Jake can express happiness with three strings, I must have happiness pouring out of me like sweat on a camel: I can only play one string.

It's actually not Jake's philosophy. It's His Holiness the Dalai Lama that espouses happiness above all.

I read his book (DH, not Jake)...and it's a bunch of pie-in-the-sky platitudes that can only truly be lived by a monk in a monastery.

That said, if Jake can express happiness with three strings, I must have happiness pouring out of me like sweat on a camel: I can only play one string.

Yeah, it's good intentions, but ...yeah.... :)

I'm way more happy than you though! I play one fret of one string! Hah! I am the embodiment of Ukulele Enlightenment(tm) (Please send 49.95 in a SASE to Ukulele Enlightenment!)

Please don't mock the idea, guys. Just because it doesn't mesh with your viewpoints doesn't mean that they're inherently wrong.

Please don't mock the idea, guys. Just because it doesn't mesh with your viewpoints doesn't mean that they're inherently wrong.

Nah- I was just having fun-- if you see my quote above, I thought Jake was wonderful, and I posted on Sunday that Jake was the most centered guy I ever met, not only is he centered, he is generous, and giving. See the post that I wrote in "Jake in South Jersey"- you will see that I believe that he is quite extraordinary in that he lets you in.

Oh for heaven's sakes... Same thing as in another thread. Someone has to be offended. Look, we were just having a laugh. It wasn't directed at anyone or intended to hurt anyone's feelings or insult Jake in any way. Jeez. Every post here has to come with a disclaimer nowadays and still someone is bound to be offended.

Oh for heaven's sakes... Same thing as in another thread. Someone has to be offended. Look, we were just having a laugh. It wasn't directed at anyone or intended to hurt anyone's feelings or insult Jake in any way. Jeez. Every post here has to come with a disclaimer nowadays and still someone is bound to be offended.

If someone mocked your religion (if you have one) or deeply held philosophical beliefs, you'd probably be pretty offended too.

I think this is a really interesting discussion. It is frustrating at times on the forums that, while we love to spread the aloha spirit, sometimes that imperativey prevents us from really getting down to the meat and potato issues of life. I totally see where Kim is coming from, as I see where zac is too I think.

I was a buddhist for most of the 90's. Like many of my gen i was a searcher and had so many issues. For awhile I thought Buddhism was the answer and I really tried to live it. i admire much of what Jake says, primarily because he really lives it. The proof is in the pudding, and all those who have met him testify to a gentle, caring, sensitive nature that is inclusive of others.

Round my parts, Buddhism was kind of taken over by Lefty's who were almost the hippies of the 90's. I was one of em, shaved my head, got a nose ring and got into the karma stuff, the minimalism, peace loving philosophies of the faith. Ultimately it left me cold though and I found something in Christianity that Buddhism couldn't offer me. Forgiveness. I am thankful for that everyday.

While I like hearing Jake speak, his saccarine sentiments do irritate me at times. he's just soooo nice and because I'm so bitter and twisted and frequently depressed, it grates. I sense others sometimes feel the same way. This is not to undermine him, as he is an honest man who deserves the plaudits he gets. His path is different to mine though and that is a matter of personal choice and faith. I wish I could experience his happiness to the depths that he appears to. For me though, life is very complicated and full of trials that I feel more comfortable in taking to Jesus than to Buddha.

I enjoy the overall positiveness of course. I mean what's not to like? But I can't help but think that what he says at first makes no sense when you think about it. It's difficult to be happy when you're alone, and you're done with being alone. It's difficult to be happy in abusive settings, like a bad job. It's difficult to be happy when your basic needs as a human being aren't being met.

It's easy for him to say those things when he's already achieved in his life. It's easy for the Dalai Lama to say these things when he is by design at the top of his caste.

Sometimes, being unhappy is exactly the correct feeling for the situation. I mean I'm happy as a clam (assuming that's pretty happy!) right now, and I can recognize that this is horrible to hear for someone down on their luck.

I figure he means that you should concentrate on the self and everything else is just set decoration that you don't need. But to someone not in a good place, this message will sound like nails on a chalkboard.

I don't mean to offend anyone, and like I said before, I enjoy his positiveness. I'm just saying that he gave this advice on a camera, to be broadcast, and maybe it's not good advice for everyone. Or rather, it's not the right thing that people always need to hear. I've got a friend who's hurting, who has a right to be hurt, and these words would be a slap in the face to them.

I don't know, sometimes we start talking nonsense and sometimes it just so happens to be filmed. I like Jake, but don't agree with what he says at the start.

I don't need to defend Jake or anyone, but I disagree right here.

What Jake said is exactly what caused me start playing ukulele: I want a simple(feeling), and happy instrument to start making my own music again. To help me get through my own high stressed real life , which I think is too personal and not necessary to broadcast my story here. But Jake and Dalai Lama totally get the idea. Buddha doesn't laugh out loudly, he smiles. The reason he smiles isn't because he has everything in control, but he learns to use a relaxing and stable attitude to oversee everything.

Buddha doesn't laugh out loudly, he smiles. The reason he smiles isn't because he has everything in control, but he learns to use a relaxing and stable attitude to oversee everything.

I have to disagree slightly with this. Buddha does laugh out loudly when his feet are tickled with a feather.

:rofl:

I have to disagree slightly with this. Buddha does laugh out loudly when his feet are tickled with a feather.

:rofl:
Nice one, that is his humanity.

ps: I am not a Buddhist nor claim to know well about the religion. Just happen to read some and keep humble and open in my mind.

Top Bottom