Who likes Hilo black strings?

Doc_J

Reaction score

I do. How about you?

Picked up a new-to-me 2006 G-string concert uke with some recent Hilo black strings on.
I think they sound wonderful on this uke, kind of an old Hawaii sound.

http://www.box.com/s/b77bbd9cc1d88b053eab

There are lots of great string choices out there. Worth & SC are still my favs, but maybe I need to try Hilo's on some other ukes, just for a change.

James Hill.

Hilo strings produced a bubbly, mellow tone from my Kamaka standard. Nice feel, too. So yep, I like them.

Have some Hilo low g's on my Cordoba 20TM-CE....I think they sound great. Just took a set off my Mele Koa Tenor, sounded very full...nice mellow ring, and loud.
Have a set on my Mele solid mahogany soprano (Mele likes Hilos!) and it sounds good, but not great. Not sure about that soprano. Had Martin Flourocarbons in it for 10 minutes....sounded like crap. Not sure what strings it'll end up with...would trade it for supersoprano if I get the chance.

Hilos came standard on my Kiwaya. I thought they were dull, lifeless, and worse than a case of the crabs for an armless sailor.

ymmv

On some ukes the can sound great and they have great playability and comfort...alot of ukers put them dowm for some reason...glad you like them and congrats on your new G String

I do. How about you?

Picked up a new-to-me 2006 G-string concert uke with some recent Hilo black strings on.
I think they sound wonderful on this uke, kind of an old Hawaii sound.

http://www.box.com/s/b77bbd9cc1d88b053eab

There are lots of great string choices out there. Worth & SC are still my favs, but maybe I need to try Hilo's on some other ukes, just for a change.

I like Hilo Black Nylon strings on my concert Fluke--brings out that nice bass sound. Aquilas are tooo bright for a Fluke! I think I have a set of soprano Hilo Black Nylons on a Mahalo too. Again, trying to tone down the brightness.

Mousie

Mousie, I agree that the Hilo Black Nylon, do tone down the brightness and sustain, just a tiny bit. But they do add warmth and sound good on the right uke. I will have to try them on my office Fluke too.

Mousie, I agree that the Hilo Black Nylon, do tone down the brightness and sustain, just a tiny bit. But they do add warmth and sound good on the right uke. I will have to try them on my office Fluke too.

I don't have them on *both* my Flukes because I wanted them to sound a little different from each other. My red cowboy Fluke has D'Addario J92 Pro-Arte concert strings--I think I bought them in the UU store. I like their sound on a Fluke too. :)

Mousie

Top Bottom