Restringing from a high G to low G

Jimfkft

Reaction score
I'm a uke newbie. I bought a Kala tenor uke about a year ago, and I imagine it's ready for new strings. The wound third string shows signs of wear at the frets. I think I want to ditch the high G fourth string in favor of a low G. What impact if any would this have on the nut slot? Can it accommodate the new string without refiling?
The Kala was strung with GHS strings. Any recommendations about a brand and supplier? Thanks.

I went with Southcoast Strings and like them a lot; they have a 3&4th wound string. If the 4th is wound, you normally won't have to file the nut slot. With unwound(flurocarbons) there is a greater chance you would.

Many also like the Worth clears. I use them on my Mya Moe with good results.

The # for the low g round string set is:G650 Linear String Set in 5ths. It may take awhille to get used to a new string makers sound. I've tried the Guadalupe and Aquilas on my Griffin tenor. It's really interesting how much a string changes the sound of a uke.

I bought a set of Fremont Blacklines a member suggested for my resonator. Made a big difference. Will be interested in your opinion on how they sound.

Hey saw this thread and it caught my attention. I'm thinking of getting a uke but still debating a few things before I can decide which one, but as I read up about it I came across this low or high G on ukehunt and they said with strings youw ant to check if yours is high or low g...what does this mean? From what I read in your post I'm guessing they are of different sizes but what's the difference? can you chose which you have and if so why have one over the other? I'm asking since I've seen in a few online shops that you can ask for specifications and was wondering if this is something I need to think about.

Usually it's better to start a new thread for a new topic, but anyway.....

High or low G simply refers to the tuning of the 4th string (the one closets to your nose when holding the uke correctly, strings are numbered from bottom to top). Usually it is a high G, just one tone below the 1st string's A (@440Hz). I would recommend starting off with the standard tuning - no need to worry about it right from the start.
The re-entrant tuning makes the characteristic Uke sound you will be aiming for (at least in the beginning), if you stick to it you will have plenty of time for tuning experiments. Later.....

Following up on this thread, I ended up buying Aquila strings, and I discovered that the wound, low G string did in fact fit just fine in the existing nut slot. This was my first time restringing a uke (it has a tie bridge, and I'm accustomed to a guitar's ball-end steel strings), and the process couldn't have gone more smoothly. The new strings project much better than the old nylon GHS strings. Once they get stretched out, they'll be great. Thanks for the advice.

Jim,

just out of curiosity: what uke do you have? Not all strings "fit" every uke (soundwise)...
E.g. I restrung my cheap Makala with Aquilas and almost thought I had a completely new instrument with much brighter and clearer sound.

I have several ukes and I have only 2 with the same strings, Worth browns, and that's because one came with them. I have Southcoast on 2, DiAddorio t2's on one, worth clear lights on one,Worth hards on one and Aquillas on 1.

Incidentally, if you do want to try out low g on the cheap, just go to a music shop and buy a classical guitar D string. You get two stringsworth for a bargain price.

just out of curiosity: what uke do you have?
It's a Kala tenor with spruce top and mahogany back and sides. The new strings made a noticeable difference. I couldn't be happier.

Apparently the Kala ukes go very well with Aquila strings - you find similar statements all over the web. Thx for adding another one.
As said already, I experienced the same on my cheap Makala Soprano.

Top Bottom