Ouch!

You may be able to reglue if the break is clean.
Replacing the fretboard is better but more hassles.

You can just continue that build and give it to me, I don't use all those frets anyways :D

I've done it too. Makes you pay special attention to fretboard thickness versus slot depth. It's OK, you've got that mistake out of the way and you'll never do it again.

I always though that was one of the reasons why some guys have a really thick fretboard. :p

Last edited:
It's OK, you've got that mistake out of the way and you'll never do it again.

Yep, it was totally my fault and it definitely won't be happening again.

You may be able to reglue if the break is clean.
Replacing the fretboard is better but more hassles.

I wouldn't attempt it even if the break was clean which this is not. I'll take the FB off this weekend.

I am going to assume it broke while it was off the uke? I don't see how it would snap being glued to the top. But then again, I have only built Stew Mac builds and not from scratch.

I am going to assume it broke while it was off the uke? I don't see how it would snap being glued to the top. But then again, I have only built Stew Mac builds and not from scratch.

I glue the FB onto the neck with index pins in the 1st and 11th fret positions (similar to what is described in the Hana Lima manual) to assure proper alignment. After installing those last two frets I was using a fret beveling file to put the bevel on the edge of the frets. The downward pressure was too much and bang. Before I knew it my lunch was all over the shop floor.

Or perhaps you should read the thread again? ;) Sounds to me like the fretboard was glued to the neck before the frets were installed.

I glue the FB onto the neck with index pins in the 1st and 11th fret positions (similar to what is described in the Hana Lima manual) to assure proper alignment. After installing those last two frets I was using a fret beveling file to put the bevel on the edge of the frets. The downward pressure was too much and bang. Before I knew it my lunch was all over the shop floor.

Or perhaps you should read the thread again? ;) Sounds to me like the fretboard was glued to the neck before the frets were installed.

Just to clarify: I install the frets before gluing except for the two used to index the FB on the neck.

So what method do you use with all frets installed to ensure there is no chance for missalignment during the glueup?

Top Bottom