I Thought That Song Sucked!

rook

Reaction score
I'm sure there are a lot of these...you either hated a particular tune or there was a tune that was just kind of off in the peripheral that you considered just ok.

Then, for whatever reason, you happen to play it on the Uke one day and it takes on a new life and you see/hear that song in a whole new light.

I post this because I jammed 'Dancing In The Dark' by Springsteen tonight and found it was really cool even tho I'd always thought it was meh.

What's yours? :cool:

Here's a sucky song that I've become very fond of

the original is cool in an ugly thrift-store shirt kind of way. But it's basically awful.
(not that my version isn't awful in it's own way, I just love the song)

Today I was working on Desperado and my assistant came in and listened to the whole thing and he said "I have always hated that somg but it sounded really cool with just you amd the ukulele." So that was neat!

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how anyone could hate Desperado... :)

JJ

I learned "Freebird" as a joke for smartass freind that think it's a funny request. It actually sounds pretty good (no 10 minute jammin at the end though)

I taught myself "Raindrops keep falling on my head" and "Smoke gets in your eyes", but searching Youtube have only managed to find versions I don't particularly like.

Perhaps they only exist inside my head?

Here's two videos. Personally, I like the ukulele cover more:

http://youtu.be/4SDC4ntK9XM (skip the first couple of minutes to get to the song)

http://youtu.be/_QYuWT8K6Jw

JJ

While I don't hate that song, it always reminds me of that Seinfeld episode from years ago LOL

JJ

My guess is that given the gravity of the song, it takes itself a bit too seriously.

I have a horrible, irrational hatred for Journey, but there's at least one uke cover of "Don't Stop Believin'" that hasn't made me want to put pencils in my ears.

a lot of th songs i now play and enjoy playing i often thought were not my bag eg:- sloop john b, faith, bring me sunshine, any beatles songs (not a beatles fan at all) but when i actually play them they are fantastic, the uke has certainly broadened my musical horizons

Hard to believe, but I disliked the whole Tin Pan alley genre until recently. I grew up on hippe folk music, Beatles and Bob Dylan, but the happy-go-lucky older songs were just too cheesy I guess. One good thing about getting older is that simple good stuff can be just that! And very cool to see young folk appreciating it now.

I learned "Daydream Believer" to honor Davy Jones when he died. I never cared much for the song (primarily the lyrics, although it turns out they were changed a bit in the Monkees' version), but it has a lot of quick and interesting chord changes and I've really enjoyed playing it.

I have a horrible, irrational hatred for Journey, but there's at least one uke cover of "Don't Stop Believin'" that hasn't made me want to put pencils in my ears.

"Don't Stop Believin' " became the anthem of the San Francisco (baseball) Giants as they made their way to the 2010 World Championship, so I learned how to play it on the ukulele. The song is a nice example of "big hair" rock, but I don't find it that interesting to play. I will admit that it sounds nicer on the ukulele than it does with a lot of "big hair" rock production.

I was always a big fan of Genesis, but I never cared much for the song "Follow You Follow Me". But I learned it last fall, and it works so well on uke that I'm playing it all the time now. It's a lot of fun to play.

Top Bottom