Song Help Request balloons-julia nunes

plesneala100

Reaction score
it's been months since i first googled the chords for this one. the obvious lack of julia nunes chords is getting ridiculous.

this is her best song, in my honest opinion. here's the link: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbiql_-H4KU

i think the first one is a or a minor, but i'm so not sure.

thanks in advance.

Well, she tuned a full 2 steps down to G# tuning (d#G#CF).

Here are some chord sequences used:
2200 2100
4400 2200 2100
9900 9800 7600
9900 6600 4400

You can figure that out from there.

Last edited:
2200 2100
4400 2200 2100
9900 9800 7600
9900 6600 4400

Those are the chords not tabs..... first number would be g string second e etc.... or if you already tuned down then first number top string.

If its not too much trouble, can you please write this in letters rather than numbers, i.e. A, Am, A7 etc... because i still don't get it, sorry. I'd really appreciate it! :)

-Thanks!

If its not too much trouble, can you please write this in letters rather than numbers, i.e. A, Am, A7 etc... because i still don't get it, sorry. I'd really appreciate it! :)

-Thanks!

It's much simpler to learn how to read tabs for this song. These mostly aren't traditional chord shapes because only 2 strings need fretting while the rest stays open. Also make sure you're in G# tuning rather than C tuning.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/12/06/uke-minutes-30-how-to-read-tabs/

Oh, and pay attention to her fingers in the video and try to follow along with her.

Last edited:
When I tune my uke like this it doesn't sound all that great. It has a sort of echo like the string are too loose. I play a lanikai lu 21 (it is my first uke). Does anyone else have that problem?

When I tune my uke like this it doesn't sound all that great. It has a sort of echo like the string are too loose. I play a lanikai lu 21 (it is my first uke). Does anyone else have that problem?

To be honest, I don't think her uke sounds all that great either in this tuning because of how loose the strings are. In fact, it probably sounds better on a baritone uke (with a capo on the first fret or tuned a half-step up).

it's been months since i first googled the chords for this one. the obvious lack of julia nunes chords is getting ridiculous.

this is her best song, in my honest opinion. here's the link: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbiql_-H4KU

i think the first one is a or a minor, but i'm so not sure.

thanks in advance.

I SO agree with this! It's one of these songs that grow on you. When I first heard it, I could not quite understand why everybody seemed to like it so much... now it's definitely one of my favourite JN songs. So I decided to give it a go and see what I can come up with. This thread has been an immense help, but I am playing a soprano tuned to a d f# b and I wasn't keen on tuning it down to g#. Also Julia's voice is much higher than mine, so I wanted to transpose the song as well. Julia sings it in f, so I decided to transpose down 3 steps to d. Here goes:

Intro:
Chords: Dsus4, D

Verse 1 (Years went by....etc):
Chords: D, Dsus2, Dsus4
0003, 0233, 0013

Chorus 1 (When you see me for the first time... etc):
Chords: D5, D5maj7, Gadd9
0 0 8 10, 0 0 7 10, 0 0 5 8

Bridge (Well I won't be alone... etc):
Chords: D5, D6, Dsus2
0 0 8 10, 0 0 5 7, 0 2 3 3
Ends on: Dsus4, D

Verse 2 (It's time to leave... etc)

Chorus 2 (I'm gone, so long, see you soon... etc)

Verse 3 (Hug me now... etc)

Chorus 3 (I'm gone, so long, see you soon... etc)

Verse 4 (Years went by... etc)

Chorus 4 (When you see me for the first time... etc)

Last line (Well I won't be alone)
Like first line of bridge

Song ends on D5

-------
If your uke is tuned to g c e a, you can use the same tabs, but then of course the song is transposed to c. All D chords will be C chords and the Gadd9 will be an Fadd9

I think these chords work really well and do away with having to tune the uke down (which makes it sound more like a guitar). If the chords are too low for your voice, try a capo....

Best, Andreas

Top Bottom