New manufacturers gearing up to make ukes in Hawaii formally imports

MGM

Reaction score
We should all by now heard that big island ukulele is gearing up for made in Hawaii ukuleles headed and trained by a big name luthier.....but did you know another maker of Chinese tourist type ukes you all see in ABC stores and their better line that actually plays is getting plans on building made in Hawaii ukes too......the mongoose is out on the prowl for more info.....

I have been talking to the owners of another ukulele line produced in China that are planning to produce their ukes either on the island where they have their business, or in the states.

Hey out there to Craftedcow, here in Honolulu now, saw some GREAT ukes at MGM's AKA Hawaii Music Supply, Mike is looking like a million bucks but the ukes there are lower price that I believe all the other high end uke store here. Have to go back there & dream some more
Don

Aloha Mike,
Does that chinese company start with L..... hmmm

And have prior experience with ukes built in the islands...by a company from Kaneohe? Are they going to start their production in the islands?

Ha ha Don't worry Chuck. I'm sure the Big Islands will be made on Oahu or Maui. Ha ha

I am always glad to hear about more jobs for Hawaii.

There are a lot of unemployed people in Hawaii. It would be great to see A) a real effort to replenish the Koa acacia tree range...come on now, should it all be converted to sugar cane and beef? The acacias are among the fastest growing desirable hardwoods... , and B) a lot more Hawaiians making things that aren't just tourist tchachke crap.

And have any of you checked out the relative rates for getting stuff to Hawaii vs. getting stuff from Hawaii?

If you think the US trade deficit with China is something beyond the beyond, you should look into the Hawaii/US mainland trade deficit!

Beef and sugar cane? Fastest way to ruin the islands, I tell you... besides oil wells, that is... how about that acacia plantation? How do we invest?

You can plant as many koa trees as you want. The cattle and feral pigs will love you for it! Koa seedlings are like gumdrops to them. Before that can be done, the first and most important line of defense is good fencing and maintaining them. That's been the problem all along. It's expensive to build and maintain hundreds of miles of fencing.

Top Bottom