Took my first ukulele lesson

consitter

Reaction score
I have played the uke (self-taught) for over 6 years now, and decided to take uke lessons the other day at a local music shop. I found out just how little that I know in that very 1st session. Anybody out there with similar experiences getting "woke up"?

I have played the uke (self-taught) for over 6 years now, and decided to take uke lessons the other day at a local music shop. I found out just how little that I know in that very 1st session. Anybody out there with similar experiences getting "woke up"?
I started taking professional lessons in March. My instructor is very big on music theory and I have never had music education before, so that is great. He is teaching us to play from sheet music so that we can play anything. It might not be right for everyone, but it is exactly what I need. I know chords in first position and I know strumming patterns, so I feel it is beneficial. You can learn a lot online, but there is no substitute for a good in-person instructor.

Yeah, the first thing he's teaching me is strum patterns. Ugh!! Leave out the down stroke in the first, then the up stroke in the second measure. It's like rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time.

Aloha Consitter,
Wow that is cool...try this video..."The complete ukulele course" by ralph shaw...

Congrats on the new journey. I'm on my fourth year of lessons. There is so much to learn, I can't believe it.

I have taken both in-person lessons and Skype lessons. There are pros and cons for both. But my skype teacher is phenomenal!!!

Congrats on the new journey. I'm on my fourth year of lessons. There is so much to learn, I can't believe it.

I have taken both in-person lessons and Skype lessons. There are pros and cons for both. But my skype teacher is phenomenal!!!
Yep, one picks up a uke and says "4 fingers and 4 strings, I can do this." At first the basics come very quickly, which is refreshing. Then you get really into it and find that it truly is a "minutes to learn, lifetime to master" type of instrument. Skype is probably a great way to learn. The important thing I have realized is that while UU, Youtube, etc. are great resources, there is nothing that beats personalized instruction.

just wondering what part of the city your lessons in... i drive all the way down to san jose..do you have private lessons??and who is your teacher...thxs...
I started taking professional lessons in March. My instructor is very big on music theory and I have never had music education before, so that is great. He is teaching us to play from sheet music so that we can play anything. It might not be right for everyone, but it is exactly what I need. I know chords in first position and I know strumming patterns, so I feel it is beneficial. You can learn a lot online, but there is no substitute for a good in-person instructor.

Top Bottom