Do you think I play too fast?

smellofstrings

Reaction score

Hi guys, here is my new arrangement. I have been listening to it repeatedly. Sometimes I feel like the tempo is too fast and my beats are a bit off. But sometimes I feel that it's just fine. I can't figure out whether I really went too fast while recording (especially in the Quando Quando Quando part) or it has something to do with the youtube video player. It seems like sometimes youtube speeds up my playing, but sometimes it goes normal... Have any of you experienced such thing? Or do my ears go wrong? :confused:

I've posted this video in the "video and link" section but would like to hear some discussion about my tempo and beats. I welcome your comments, both positive and negative! :eek:

Last edited:
wow, dude, you're good. no, better than good!

i'm impressed. so clean. and, no, not too fast.

wow, dude, you're good. no, better than good!

i'm impressed. so clean. and, no, not too fast.

Thanks! :p

I'm not familiar with the original version, but I think your rendition is awesome. You give it a nice bluesy, jazzy feel. Not too fast at all IMO. :)

My rendition does intend to present the upbeat jazzy feel. But I am not comparing with the original tempo. Thanks for your positive comment anyway!

Last edited:
Thank you guys! I would love to hear more. Please focus on the Quando Quando Quando part and comment on my tempo and beats.

5 minutes ago I watched the video and again felt that my tempo is too fast. But now I re-watch it, it seems acceptable... so confused... :confused:

Hey mate, love your renditions so far. Great song choices, LOVE is a personal favourite of mine so made for great listening.

In regards to the changing tempo, I doubt it is the video player, I haven't noticed changing tempo after listening multiple times. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're just being very critical of yourself because you've heard and played it a thousand times over, so hear every little detail and make mountains out of mole hills.

Having said that, I reckon after the segue into LOVE it does slow down a bit, you play the first bit at the same tempo but then slow it down.

Still, great work though!

Tell me, what recording equipment do you use? Do you have a mic set up or does it record straight off the cam?

Last edited:
Hey mate, love your renditions so far. Great song choices, LOVE is a personal favourite of mine so made for great listening.

In regards to the changing tempo, I doubt it is the video player, I haven't noticed changing tempo after listening multiple times. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're just being very critical of yourself because you've heard and played it a thousand times over, so hear every little detail and make mountains out of mole hills.

Having said that, I reckon after the segue into LOVE it does slow down a bit, you play the first bit at the same tempo but then slow it down.

Still, great work though!

Tell me, what recording equipment do you use? Do you have a mic set up or does it record straight off the cam?

Thanks so much mate!!! Yes, I might be too critical of myself... And yes, my mum also noticed that I slowed it down a bit in LOVE... In fact, the tempo in LOVE is appropriate in my opinion.

In this video, I used the Apogee MiC, plugged it right into my Mac and recorded through GarageBand. I capture the video and audio separately and then sync them in iMovie.

that was good brotha i wish i can play like that

If anything you play too well. Try playing faster, you'll make more mistakes!

Really: I don't see any tempo issues, but playing instrumentals slowly and steadily is a real challenge.
I find myself accelerating as I'm learning a piece, then ending up with a distorted idea of what the optimum tempo is. If you suspect you may be playing too fast, you probably are..but I don't hear it.
your playing is beautiful

Thanks for all your positive comments! I feel better now! UUers are really helpful!

Cheers, hugs and love! :D

In this video, I used the Apogee MiC, plugged it right into my Mac and recorded through GarageBand. I capture the video and audio separately and then sync them in iMovie.

Ah I see, I've been looking for a good way to record on my PC (that is affordable), as of the moment all I have is a crappy webcam (camera got stolen :[) and a headset so I haven't been posting anything, but I'd love to some day!

If the tempo is too fast, or if it changes, it's totally overshadowed by your fantastic playing. My only "criticism" is that you wait too long between videos!:cool:

William, I love your recordings. I thought it sounded jazzy and just right, but I'm not a real musician.

I like how you pop your thumb around for the chord at 1:11. (So useful to ukers to have opposable thumbs!)

I also like your simple "recording studio"---the little posters give it a bit of mood, but we focus on your playing. Also, I like the distance at which you have the camera. We see your expression and can clearly watch your hands.

Beautiful! Just keep playing like you're doing!

Do you prefer your koa or mahogany Collings? Do you use them for different songs? Since they're the same size, it would be easy to compare.

Do you prefer your koa or mahogany Collings? Do you use them for different songs? Since they're the same size, it would be easy to compare.

1. Both are great, can't decide!
2. Yes, I do. Hog for the classic, romantic, or slower songs while Koa for more modern and shiny songs.
3. I'm doing some strings experiments on them, Now the Hog is strung with D'Addario Black Nylon and Worth Brown for the Koa. Both sound better than their original Aquila (to my ears). I'm thinking of posting a comparison video someday!

Top Bottom