New Uke week: Kamoa Kauai Built koa tenor

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
Ever since I was a kid, my family has taken vacations to the island of Kauai. Over the course of those trips, I discovered I had a deep abiding love for this little rock in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Oh sure, I enjoy visiting Oahu, Maui and the Big Island but for me, there is no place on Earth like Kauai.

My family loves it so much that when my grandmother passed away, we had her ashes scattered off the shores of the island, and both my mother and I have it in our wills that we wish to have the same done for us.

I can't really explain it to someone else, why this place has such a hold on me. But the best way I can describe it is that when I leave Kauai, I feel like someone is putting one of those heavy dentist xray shields on me. And whenever my plane touches down at Lihue airport, or my ship sails into Nawiliwili Harbor, the weight is lifted and my soul feels complete.

I saw somewhere that the phrase "Kahi ko'olua uhane" means where the spirit resides. For me, that place is Kauai.

So when I saw that Kamoa Ukulele was beginning to build Kauai built koa tenor ukuleles, I simply had to have one. Well, unfortunately, I now have a one in, one out ukulele policy. So that meant I had to sell one of my other ukes to finance (and make room) for the new one.

You can see a tiny bit of info and some photos on the Kauai Built model here. http://kamoaukulelecompany.com/info.php?id=18

With a great deal of sadness, I decided to sell my KoAloha Pineapple Sunday. It is a wonderful uke with a beautiful tone, but I just never played it, as the tenor style is more to my liking. Fortunately, I was able to get a buyer, and so, this week, I went to Kamoa while I was staying in Kauai and played and looked at all nine KB-T tenors they had in stock (in the Kapa'a and Koloa stores).

I ended up choosing one, and have named it Kahi ko'olua uhane, or uhane ("spirit") for short. First impressions are that I love the golden blonde curly koa, it really spoke to me amongst all the models there.

attachment.php

The tone is quite nice, though not as loud as my KoAloha tenor. I would say sound wise, it is probably comparable to my Kamaka tenor and my Kanile'a (though not quite as good as my KoAloha).

attachment.php

These ukes come with Gotoh tuners in either a mother of pearl white or gold. I chose the mother of pearl, and have already ordered a pearlized strap button to have installed on the uke.

So far, I have tried Worth CHLGHD, Phd and Worth CMLG strings on it. I think I like the brightness of the Phd but the volume of the Worths, so for now anyway, I'm going to give the CMLG a go, as they seem to be a compromise between the other two.

One thing I like is that the label notes they are handmade in Kauai. I know it is nuts, but I feel like I have a tangible piece of the island I love (though they are actually made from koa from the Big Island!)

attachment.php

The KB-T ukes have hand shaped Spanish cedar necks, but the remainder of the body and bridge are koa, with a rosewood fretboard. Sam had one model with a gloss finish (which is generally my preference) but they are going to pretty much all satin finishes as he feels the sound resonates better with the satin. The one I chose was the satin and I have to say, it has been so long since I played a satin finish uke that it feels really nice to me (see related story about changing my Kamaka from satin to gloss).

Here again is the video of Sam from Kamoa talking about these ukes. They are not cheap, but they are beautiful, sound great, and I am thrilled to have one. He also discusses their great new basses and electric models, but you can hear about the Kauai built at 7:25 - 8:21 on the video.

My final first impressions are that this is a very nicely made, beautiful ukulele, but probably a niche right now. Kamoa is definitely an up and comer but for the moment, they certainly lack the name cache of Kamaka, KoAloha, Kanile'a and Ko'olau. The price, however, is comparable to those brands. For me, it has been a great purchase, but it probably is not for everyone. That being said, if they end up being the 5th big K one of these days, then I'll be the even prouder owner of KB-T #44.

Finally, here is Uhane joining her fellow ukes Ailana (the Kanile'a Island Inlay tenor), Pele (the Kamaka HF-3 tenor), Lono (the KoAloha KTM-00 crown bridge tenor) and Makana (the KoAloha Pineapple Sunday) in my humidity controlled cabinet.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Very cool. I understand why you had to have it.

Congrats. That 1 in 1 out policy is tough!

Thanks for sharing.

Your uke collection is!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!! And that cabinet is!!!!!!!!!! Another WOW!!!!!!!!!!

If an instrument can relate to your good memories, it is valuable regardless of its price. You must keep it!

Just my feeling, the plastic pearl tuner buttons can't match the beauty of this high quality uke...

Congratulations, Staci! I know you've been looking to buy one of the Kaua'i-built Kamoa for a while, and I'm glad to see that you've found one you love so much. That koa on Uhane is beautiful and when I first saw it, the curl reminded me of the curl on Pele. And the Kaua'i-built Kamoa in the video sounds great. I know having to sell your Pineapple Sunday feels like a loss, but I imagine you're going to be playing Uhane more than you played the Pineapple Sunday. Congratulations again!

wonderful post Staci, thankyou. It's a gorgeous uke and if that island carries such significant meaning within your family, this uke sure seems as though she was meant for you. Congratulations on the purchase. (Your uke cabinet - and its contents - is droolworthy too by the way mate :) )

Aloha Staci,
Nice Uke, Nice Cabinets, I am very much impressed.....

Last edited:
A Beautiful addition to your stable of ukes, Staci - I look forward to hearing you play it!

CHeerio

Roberta

Hi, Staci!

That is such a sweet looking ukulele. Know what I like about it, and it’s different than your other ukes this way, I think: it has that awesome wide koa bridge. Most are ebony or rosewood, but yours is koa! That is the prettiest bridge, it really is.

I think the blonde, too, is a pleasant departure from the orange of your other ukes.

And to get that Pineapple Sunday out of there—I mean, it really jiggered things up, what with that weird pineapple shape and all—just makes your showcase sparkle. LOL

I am so excited about the package coming to me sometime early this week. So excited, you have been kind to me, Staci.

Your kindred spirit, Steve

Last edited:
I love this story! The Kamoa was an excellent choice and a better fit for your island sensibility. Your ukes have a special harmony together, and being able to see them on display together is an extra pleasure.

Congratulations!

You're the first person I know who bought the Kauai Built Kamoa. It looks beautiful. I can have it ordered at my local Kamoa dealer in San Francisco. May I ask how much was yours?

Mahalo

Beautiful instrument, and great story to go with it! I'm planning to go hop on over to Kauai in a few weeks, its been 5 years since I last visited!

Top Bottom