mango vs. myrtle?

janeray1940

Reaction score
Happy Earth Day, UUers! Appropriately enough, I'm trying to understand the differences between mango and myrtle, both of which are considered sustainable woods.

Those of you who have been following my recent posts know that I'm 99% certain my next uke is going to be a Mya-Moe. I've fallen in love with the sound of this one, which is mango. Which surprised me, because the only mango ukes I've heard have been factory ukes and I've hated the sound of every single one of them - they've all sounded really muted and dull to me. From talking with the Mya-Moe folks I understand that this has more to do with the maker than the wood itself.

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to the whole concept of "bright" vs. "warm." I've always thought that my Kamakas sounded "bright," especially with the fluorocarbon strings that I favor. I've heard the stock Kamaka strings described as "warm" and frankly, I don't care for that sound at all. My Kamakas sound to me like bells - do bells sound warm or bright? I dunno, they sound like bells :) I've also heard Kanile'a ukes consistently described as "warm;" of the K-brand ukes I've heard, these are my least-favorite. To my ear, they sound dull and muddy when compared with Kamakas or Koalohas - similar to the dull and muted sound of the factory mango ukes I described above.

Here's where my confusion comes in. On the Mya-Moe site, koa is described as being on the "warmest" end of the spectrum, with mango a bit brighter, and myrtle dead in the middle of the warm vs. bright spectrum. All this time I've thought that I don't care for a "warm" sound - but here koa is being described as exactly that!

After seeing myrtle described as "brighter" than koa and mango, I listed to these sound samples, and I think they sound amazing as well. But I can't tell if they sound "brighter" than the mango uke in the video linked above.

Essentially, I don't know what I like! I only know it when I hear it. Which is a problem when ordering a custom uke. While I'm certain that I'll be thrilled with anything made for me by Mya-Moe, this is the one thing about ordering a custom that is kind of freaking me out...

So. That was my long-winded way of asking: if you wanted a ukulele that sounded clear and bell-like, and wanted it made from a sustainable wood, and your choices were mango or myrtle: which would you choose, and why?

Mahalo!

I have a hard time figuring this out, too! To my ears, my Mango sounds softer, thinner and more harp-like than my Myrtle. The Myrtle is louder and deeper and has a punchier sound. That being said, the Mango has Worth Clears and the Myrtle has Southcoast strings. Also, louder isn't always better! I love the sounds of both of my sopranos.

I just reread your question! Mango :)

I have a hard time figuring this out, too! To my ears, my Mango sounds softer, thinner and more harp-like than my Myrtle. The Myrtle is louder and deeper and has a punchier sound. That being said, the Mango has Worth Clears and the Myrtle has Southcoast strings. Also, louder isn't always better! I love the sounds of both of my sopranos.

I just reread your question! Mango :)

Thanks hibiscus :) I agree, louder isn't always better - it's dull that I'm trying to steer clear of. I'm starting to think this is another one of those questions in which the only correct answer is "get one of each!" but that's not realistic at the moment.

"Harp-like" is a good description of what I (think I) like.

So. That was my long-winded way of asking: if you wanted a ukulele that sounded clear and bell-like, and wanted it made from a sustainable wood, and your choices were mango or myrtle: which would you choose, and why? Mahalo!

I can't comment on mango, but everything I've heard and read about myrtle is that paired with the right top, it will sound clear and bell-like, but with a little punch. Many commentators describe myrtle as being between rosewood and maple tone-wise. Dynamic and punchy, but clear. I'm going to pair myrtle with a redwood top in my upcoming Brad Donaldson build. I hope it to be clear and somewhat warm. And myrtle comes in a vast array of colors and patterns. Check out these acoustic guitar sets at Oregon Wild Woods: http://www.oregonwildwood.com/category/myrtlewood-acoustic-guitar-sets-luthier-tonewood.html

Personally, I'm liking myrtle.

And I just saw your reference to "harp-like". Have you considered either the "double-puka" (two sound holes in the upper bouts) like certain Mele models, or even the one sound hole/soundport style like Eric DeVine? http://devineguitars.com/soundboards-and-guitar-tops.html The idea behind these designs is that they increase the size of the soundboard that vibrates. These designs are described as producing tones that are more "piano-like" or "harp-like". Something to think about.

Last edited:
I narrowed it down to those 2 also. I choose Mango for my Mya-Moe Super soprano. Warmer tone, liked the color in the wood.

#387 is mine. Love the sound and the looks.

http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=387&submit=Track

Ohhhhh you're the lucky owner of #387! Last week when I first started talking with Aaron about Mya-Moe he sent me that link as an example and I immediately thought "I want exactly that uke."

I'm still having trouble understanding the warmer vs. brighter differences though. Do you have a sound sample of yours by any chance?

I narrowed it down to those 2 also. I choose Mango for my Mya-Moe Super soprano. Warmer tone, liked the color in the wood.

#387 is mine. Love the sound and the looks.

That is beautiful! The mango is stunning, and the colors are perfect!

Ohhhhh you're the lucky owner of #387! Last week when I first started talking with Aaron about Mya-Moe he sent me that link as an example and I immediately thought "I want exactly that uke."

I'm still having trouble understanding the warmer vs. brighter differences though. Do you have a sound sample of yours by any chance?

I just put up a sound sample of it. It could use a string change. I've got Worth brown lights on G, E, A, and Aquila on C... a weird combo but it works.

Mya-Moe Super soprano #387 sound sample.
http://www.box.com/s/7cc09438f3fc7c10e3c5

I think this MM Mango SS is plenty bright for me.

Last edited:
I am the very proud owner of Mya Moe concert mango #697. The tone is very clear, never muddy, and I must agree it is rather harp-like. I love the curly mango colors. In my opinion, the pictures don't do it total justice-it's prettier in person. For me sound was more important than looks and I feel very fortunate to have won on both accounts. Good luck with your decision...

http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=697&submit=Track

I just put put a sound sample of it. It could use a string change. I've got Worth brown lights on G, E, A, and Aquila on C... a weird combo but it works.

Mya-Moe Super soprano #387 sound sample.
http://www.box.com/s/7cc09438f3fc7c10e3c5

I think this MM Mango SS is plenty bright for me.

Thanks Doc J, it sounds as good as it looks! Interesting string combo - I've been known to mix Martins and Worths but never would have thought to throw Aquilas into the mix :)

I am the very proud owner of Mya Moe concert mango #697. The tone is very clear, never muddy, and I must agree it is rather harp-like. I love the curly mango colors. In my opinion, the pictures don't do it total justice-it's prettier in person. For me sound was more important than looks and I feel very fortunate to have won on both accounts. Good luck with your decision...

http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=697&submit=Track

Thanks! What a gorgeous uke. I think I'm seeing a trend here with "harp-like" and mango...

dont know much about myrtle yet.

Me neither - other than reading that most of it comes from California and the Northwest, and that there's lots of it available - can't get much more local than that, which appeals to me. And the Mya-Moe myrtle ukes sound great in the videos I've seen.

Mya-Moe should have some sort of M-M convention somewhere to which all of its customers could bring their M-M ukuleles, and potential customers could come to try them out, compare different woods in the same scale, different scales using the same woods, and different woods using different scales. It's too bad that you can't simply sit in a room with the two ukuleles you're trying to decide between.

Aaron's been making some demo videos for M-M of recently completed instruments. If there's ever a soprano mango and a soprano myrtle in the pipeline at about the same time, maybe he'd be willing to make a video comparison of the two tonewoods. Actually, to just isolate differences in the woods, he could use other scale instruments, as long as both instruments used in the comparison were the same scale. (Comparing #675 and #678, both of which are currently being built, might help. Although both are master grade chocolate heart, one is master grade chocolate heart myrtle and the other one is master grade chocolate heart mango, and they're both sopranos.)

Last edited:
Mya-Moe should have an annual convention to which all of its customers could bring their ukuleles and potential customers could come to try them out, compare different woods int he same scale, different scales using the same woods, and different woods using different scales.

Oh, I wish :)

But realistically - yeah, that's a really good idea to see if Aaron could demo a super soprano mango and myrtle side by side... I think what I need to do right now is get my deposit in and secure a build date; from what I've read on the M-M site I'll still have time to actually decide which wood to go with.

Top Bottom