Human Uke Teacher or Youtube Uke Teacher?

hippowong

Reaction score
Do you think it's necessary to find a Ukulele teacher or is it, now with youtube and other websites, possible to just learn over the internet?

For the last 2 months I've been teaching myself the ukulele on youtube and it's bee great. I can play several different songs and such but in the back of mind I wonder if I could progress even faster if I had a teacher and learn more intricate things.

Just want to see what the pro and cons are. Thanks!

Humans are overrated .

Both are very useful. Youtube, and UU+ are great because they are cheap or free, and you can take lessons on your own time.

That said, a true instructor can look at your technique and tell you exactly what you are doing wrong, and what you are doing right. Also, bouncing questions of a teacher is super useful.

I feel it shouldn't have to be one or the other. Definitely take advantage of the internet, but I do recommend some private lessons. Even a once a month kind of situation is good.

Different people have different learning styles. When I first started playing almost 3 years ago, I saw that there was a ton of stuff online and figured I could learn that way, but got absolutely nowhere. I realized that for me, I need actual interaction in order to learn - I need to be able to ask questions and engage with others, so I take both private lessons and group classes. Now that I have a pretty decent foundation of the basics, I'm just about at the point where I can learn from YouTube tutorials.

Some things that a human instructor can do that YouTube won't do, is to let you know that:

There is a more efficient way to hold that instrument.
You have magically stumbled on the perfect way to hold the ukulele.
You are always out of tune.
You are always perfectly in tune.
You have the tone of Segovia.
You have the tone of Alfred E. Neuman (What me worry?)
If someone else doesn't kill you for playing that $12 toy, she or he will.
The ukulele you are playing has better tone than any instrument he or she has ever seen.

Last edited:
Some great advice has already been given on this subject. I'll try to add some more.

I teach music, it's my profession. I help mostly beginner and intermediate students reach their goals. Frequently, I'll recommend Youtube videos to my students. Sometimes, during a lesson, I'll have them shoot a video of me demonstrating something. Most of them have iPhones or similar recording devices. This can be efficient way to transmit targeted information. Also, in my own experience as a learner, I have used a combination of books, videos, and live or Skype instructors.

Do you need a human teacher? It depends on your learning style and on your goals. It also depends on whether you have access to a good support group who can give you honest feedback. A teacher can give you feedback, demonstrate something for you physically, provide motivation and goals, and provide a way to structure your learning to meet your personal needs. Now, as an individual, and especially with the support of a group, you may be able to get all these things for yourself. If you can't, then a teacher is recommended, provided you have the budget for it.

One other point: will a teacher provide you with information you didn't even know you were missing out on. With a good teacher, moat likely. Should you take lessons just to make sure you're not missing out on anything? I'm not sure this is a strong enough reason. Again, I would look to your goals. Be clear and specific about what you want. Look at a teacher as a possible great way to help you get to where you want to.

I could also write about how to find the right teacher for you, and also how to get the most out of your lessons, but that would take up another couple of threads, at least.

I just started with a teacher because I felt I wanted more structure than just bouncing all over the net and rambling through books. I've learned quite a lot that way, but I think I also tend to ignore the bits that don't come easily and bounce on to something else, which isn't going to be good in the long run. I don't know how long I'll continue with official lessons, maybe just through summer, we'll have to see. But for the moment it's all good.

Actually if you do know about finding a good uke teacher would be very helpful. I'm taking very cheap courses at the local community center which have not been very helpful as I've surpassed the class, who are mostly senior citizens, by learning on youtube. I just go there to strum it out but I'm not learning anything.

I think people seem to be right, maybe finding a tutor, who can guide me on teaching myself. I just have a makala soprano uke, and I have feeling to really progress I may have to buy a new superior uke.

Some great advice has already been given on this subject. I'll try to add some more.

I teach music, it's my profession. I help mostly beginner and intermediate students reach their goals. Frequently, I'll recommend Youtube videos to my students. Sometimes, during a lesson, I'll have them shoot a video of me demonstrating something. Most of them have iPhones or similar recording devices. This can be efficient way to transmit targeted information. Also, in my own experience as a learner, I have used a combination of books, videos, and live or Skype instructors.

Do you need a human teacher? It depends on your learning style and on your goals. It also depends on whether you have access to a good support group who can give you honest feedback. A teacher can give you feedback, demonstrate something for you physically, provide motivation and goals, and provide a way to structure your learning to meet your personal needs. Now, as an individual, and especially with the support of a group, you may be able to get all these things for yourself. If you can't, then a teacher is recommended, provided you have the budget for it.

One other point: will a teacher provide you with information you didn't even know you were missing out on. With a good teacher, moat likely. Should you take lessons just to make sure you're not missing out on anything? I'm not sure this is a strong enough reason. Again, I would look to your goals. Be clear and specific about what you want. Look at a teacher as a possible great way to help you get to where you want to.

I could also write about how to find the right teacher for you, and also how to get the most out of your lessons, but that would take up another couple of threads, at least.

Not sure where you live, but I would not want to try and learn/improve my uke playing without my ukulele meetup group!!!!!! Lessons, jam sessions, etc. all rolled into one! Get thee to a uke club!

Actually if you do know about finding a good uke teacher would be very helpful. I'm taking very cheap courses at the local community center which have not been very helpful as I've surpassed the class, who are mostly senior citizens, by learning on youtube. I just go there to strum it out but I'm not learning anything.

I think people seem to be right, maybe finding a tutor, who can guide me on teaching myself. I just have a makala soprano uke, and I have feeling to really progress I may have to buy a new superior uke.

I can start a new thread on the subject. How to find the best teacher for you and how to get the most out of lessons. But, it might take a little while. Ironically, I'm currently too busy with teaching.

I'm an American living in Singapore but planning to move back to the states in the next 3-6 months.

Unfortunately a really great uke store here but no meetup groups that I know of.

Not sure where you live, but I would not want to try and learn/improve my uke playing without my ukulele meetup group!!!!!! Lessons, jam sessions, etc. all rolled into one! Get thee to a uke club!

Top Bottom