LP ukulele

BigSkyUkuleleGirl

Are we there yet......
UU VIP
Reaction score
I read all of the threads on the Epiphone LP uke and just wanted to ask for an update from the owners. How do you like them? The Risa and the Mahalo looks nice too.

I gots to get me one of these and just deciding on what color - of course the clownburst is iconic but I really like the iced tea as well.

Alas, UAS has struck me hard on this one and the best part is it's just $100 but it seems like people who bought them paid alot to set them up.

Alas, UAS has struck me hard on this one and the best part is it's just $100 but it seems like people who bought them paid alot to set them up.
For $100, you're getting a mass-produced, factory made uke and the setup can be hit or miss unless you're buying from a dealer who does that for you as part of their service.

I've played three of them...didn't like one.

Been told they sound better plugged in, but I have no need to for an amplified soprano.

Just my two cents............I like Epiphones.....I like Les Pauls.....I like ukuleles.......It's $100.00. The set up on mine was good. Of course I'm always tweaking and adjusting my instruments all the time. It's part of the addiction. It is what it is........another voice in my collection. And, I like it.:)

I've got two - Tudorp did an incredible setup for me on one, replaced the nut and saddle with bone, put Aquila strings on, and reset the neck. Very nice, plays quietly, but good sound. It is heavy, but I'd expect that - the body is routed from a solid hunk of wood. Just fine to me, plugged or unplugged. I got this one from PedalFreak and his store in Illinois (can't recall the name)

The other is just like it came out of the box. Actually better set up out of the box than the one I sent to Tony was , but still needs work. I think I've put 5-10 minutes of play into it, and since then it has been sitting in the gig bag, untouched. original strings. This one I got from a local music shop, took almost 3 months from the time I ordered it until it showed up.

I was planning on putting the second Epi Les Paul up in the marketplace in a month or two, but if you are interested in it, PM me - we'll talk.

-Kurt​

Last edited:
I wasn't going to chime in, because I have allot of things posted on the forum about the Epi LP uke. I am a fan, even though it is not the "best" uke out there, and it has weaknesses. Allot of them, but it can be made into a decent uke, and it only cost $100. That is the biggest thing about it, is it's price point for what it is. If I need a tough uke for traveling, and only have $100 bill, that would be the one I buy, every time. For $100, it is the best elecustic out there IMHO. With a little work as soon as ya unbox it, it will rival any $200 elecustic out there..

I got mine during holidays for $83 and some change on sale.....so if $99 is a bargain!
Overall, it's an unbelievable bargain for the money. The plastic nut was poorly cut...looks like slots cut with a hack saw, and not neatly at that. That being said, I knew that nut and saddle are cheap plastic and would need replacing. I also got it because the bolt in neck can be reset if needed. I haven't gotten to the mods yet, but will post when I do. I need to go back to my old profile quote: "I am a wellspring of good intentions."

Kurt,

Is your other one the iced tea color or the original clownburst color like the one I had of yours? If it is the Ice Tea, I might be interested in it myself if the OP doesn't want it. If he turns it down, let me know my friend.

p.s. Hope your doing well.

I have an "Iced Tea" and I like it. I don't love it, but i like it. My father on the other hands thinks it is the coolest uke he's ever seen (he loves Les Pauls). For $100 I think it is a pretty good deal you just need new strings. The ones it comes with are the worst and make it sound like you're playing mud (if that makes any sense?). With new strings it has more volume. Plugged in it sounds a lot better too. Since I don't really play plugged in ever it makes it sort of a waste but if I need to I know what to do :)

BTW, it is a very pretty ukulele the grain on mine is really nice and it looks great. If you have it for a wall hanger it is pretty awesome!

Kurt,

Is your other one the iced tea color or the original clownburst color like the one I had of yours? If it is the Ice Tea, I might be interested in it myself if the OP doesn't want it. If he turns it down, let me know my friend.

p.s. Hope your doing well.

Both clownburst, Tony. If I'd gotten an iced-tea version, I would have had you set that one up, too!

-Kurt​

Thanks everybody, I am going to have to wait for awhile but I still think an iced tea one is destined for my uke collection.

D'oh! I thought this thread was going to be about the singer who goes by the name LP. I just found out today she plays uke.

Just wanted to update, I got the LP ukulele from MF last week and it is great out of the box. The set-up and intonation is good. Sounds good acoustically, I haven't plugged it in yet but this is one fun little uke. Even my non-musically inclined hubby things it looks "pretty cool."

Just wanted to update, I got the LP ukulele from MF last week and it is great out of the box. The set-up and intonation is good. Sounds good acoustically, I haven't plugged it in yet but this is one fun little uke. Even my non-musically inclined hubby things it looks "pretty cool."

Glad you finally got one, and that you like it!

I have to admit, the one I haven't had a setup done on sounds better now than it did when it was new.

But It still has less than 30 minutes of playing time, and whenever I get around to posting it, I will put it up for sale. (I'm in no great hurry...)

-Kurt​

I've had mine for a while, and to be frank, I love it.

I do have more pricey ukes with solid wood n all.
But I still find myself playing the Epiphone Les Paul.

It is very comfortable to play, I love the neck. Mine came with a good setup.

In my opinion, the BEST strings to use on it are D'addario Pro-Arte.
I have mine with D'addario Pro-Arte tenors, because I think the slight extra tension gives it more life.

This combination of string on mine gives it a unique "fat, mellow" tone which I can't get any of my other ukes to produce.
Give it a go if you want to upgrade the strings :D

Hi Kurt, yes it is a nice little uke for the money and looks SOOO cool!! Been playing it for a few days now and I do think after I recover from whatever bug I caught on a recent trip I will head to the music store for better strings like Kissing suggested. I will look for the tenor strings - it does sound a bit muted but I think that may be more of my playing style than the uke as my OS sounds the same way.

Hmmmm....seems I need to practice more.....imagine that.....lol.

Top Bottom