Need design help

thistle3585

Reaction score
I am building this steel string electric uke for my son for his birthday. I thought about doing a rosette and centering the magnetic pickup in the center of the rosette instead of cutting a sound hole. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• walnut uke.jpg
    walnut uke.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 50
Personally I wouldn't. If the instrument isn't going to sound like a traditional ukulele why try to make it look like one? I can't see that putting a rosette around it would look like anything other than a square peg in a round 'hole'.

I'd just try to keep it as simple and as elegant as I could.

Thanks Rick. I noticed on Ed Roman's site that there is a grouping of several instruments and the pickups are at different angles. Is that pickup "disc" adjustable? Is the disc supposed to imitate a sound hole or does it serve a greater function? I always liked the body design on that guitar. Very nice work.

Uggh, did you have to mention Ed Roman?

The pickup disc can be turned, and therefore it is functional, though I was also very conscious of it being an homage to a sound hole. The guitar shape was borrowed from an early 19th century guitar, probably from the Stauffer workshop. I added the cutaway. I love making subtle...and not so subtle visual references to the history of our craft.

Sorry about that but it is the number one search engine result. :) Regardless, it is a very fine looking instrument.

i used to own a slotted head all rosewood model 1 guitar and was the most comfortable and fun to play guitar. It had a cedar core and the look was outrageous. Has to be my favorite guitar i owned, would love to have a ukulele version of it!
normal_rosewoodwhole.jpg

normal_rosehead.jpg

normal_roseneckheal.jpg

normal_roseheal.jpg

Top Bottom