WTB: Quality Solid Tenor Uke for a first time buyer & guitar convert. Pono? Kanilea?

Smoovep

Reaction score
WTB: Quality Solid Tenor Uke for a first time buyer & guitar convert. Pono? Kanilea?

Hi there,

I'm brand new to the community and am a long-time guitarist who just had my first baby and am wanting to get a quality (but still affordable) ukulele to play some fun children's songs to my new baby on.

Although new to the ukelele, I only play quality guitars, so I know the difference between good and bad stringed instruments, so I'm assuming I'll only be satisfied with something a little nicer than the entry-level production stuff (Islander, Cordoba, Lanikai, etc.)

I "think" my budget is about $400-500, but could easily be convinced to pay more or less for my first ukelele if there's a good reason. From what I've read $500 is kind-of "no-man's land" in-between cheap and really nice ukes. I'm not afraid to buy an instrument that's been around the block and banged up a bit either. So feel free to pitch me on why I should buy YOUR used ukelele!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post and help the new guy get started with his first Uke!

$400 - $500 is not going to get you the ukulele you describe, however, I will make a suggestion. AncientMatingCalls has a Kanile'a K-1 tenor for sale. I was watching this when it first came up for sale from the previous owner and I just did not pull the trigger fast enough. I was next in line for it. I know his pictures are a bit fuzzy but the original owner had a video up on the forum (no longer available) and I'll tell you, the ukulele is visually stunning, and the sound is everything that Ancient Mating Calls describes. it is one of those ukes that just surpasses the usual. He says that it got a few nicks and scratches but they are cosmetic. I would be going after this myself but I just paid $920 for a K-1 tenor deluxe with premium Koa, and electric that I am very happy with. At the $775 he is asking, this is a steal. Just my two cents but it will be hard for you to find a decent K-1 tenor in the near future for this amount again.

Thanks for the advice. $775 is just a bit out of reach for something I'll just be playing some children's tunes on. I just don't want something with terrible fit & finish that doesn't intonate properly, or has fret buzz etc.

I don't need a masterpiece (although I'm sure I'll fall in-love with the ukulele and want to upgrade!), just something that is enjoyable to play and not frustrating.

Anyone experience with the newer Pono AT? It's right in my price range, and Hawaii Music Supply says they do a complete setup job to make sure playability is at it's maximum...

If interested, I have a Lanikai solid mokey pod, cutaway, slothead tenor with fishman electric pick-up, with a hard case. it is new with a great professional set-up. the action is really low. No fret buzz at all. PM me if interested

If interested, I have a Lanikai solid mokey pod, cutaway, slothead tenor with fishman electric pick-up, with a hard case. it is new with a great professional set-up. the action is really low. No fret buzz at all. PM me if interested

So maybe I'm just missing something, but I've searched the forum FAQ on how to send a PM, and either the process has changed, or I don't have sufficient permissions to send a PM yet (perhaps because I'm new?) I get errors and dead ends (or the buttons references just don't exist) whenever I follow these instructions. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=pm&titleandtext=1&match=all

So with that said, I would be interested, tell me more about the uke, why you're selling it. Do you have pictures? And finally, what would your price be including shipping to Denver, CO 80238?

Thanks! (and let me know if there's something I'm missing about the PM thing!)

So maybe I'm just missing something, but I've searched the forum FAQ on how to send a PM, and either the process has changed, or I don't have sufficient permissions to send a PM yet (perhaps because I'm new?) I get errors and dead ends (or the buttons references just don't exist) whenever I follow these instructions. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=pm&titleandtext=1&match=all

So with that said, I would be interested, tell me more about the uke, why you're selling it. Do you have pictures? And finally, what would your price be including shipping to Denver, CO 80238?

Thanks! (and let me know if there's something I'm missing about the PM thing!)

I'm not able to PM you Smoovep, but when I click on other user names I can PM them just fine. Maybe you need to respond to some kind of activation email or something? There's not usually a wait time on PMing that I know of but I could be wrong. Hope you find the tenor you're looking for!

There are LOTS of good options within your price range, and even lower. My favorite all-time tenor is my Gibson TU-1. Occasionally these pop up in that range, and they are terrific-sounding ukuleles.. braced just lightly enough to sing and ring like a bell. As far as contemporary choices are concerned, opinions vary SO widely, and are usually based on a limited exposure to the options...so... the best thing to do is go to a music store and play everything you can, and see what speaks to you. That's a lot easier to do these days. I was in a Sam Ash yesterday, and there must have been 8 or 9 different tenor options to explore.

Welcome Smoove, as a long time guitarist, 52 years, I found the uke a wonderful change and quite addictive. I am so used to a quality instrument I knew an entry level one would not do. For the price range you asking about, it is defintily a good idea to go used. I found it really easy to learn with my guitar/banjo background.

This is a great forum, I really like the Marketplace when looking as the members always chime in their opinions on the instrument. It won't be long and your new child will be playing with you, Congratulations!

I would say Pono is a good brand for your budget.

You might also want to look at anything from Kelii. They are made in Hawaii and Hawaiian Music Supply has some nice ones right in your price range.

In your range, I recommend Mele, Keli'i, Pono, Loprinzi, and Sailor Brand. There are the other obvious choices like Mainland or some of the higher end Ohanas and Kalas. But if I had that budget, I'd look at the Mele, Sailor Brand, Loprinzi, and Keli'i first.

If you contact UkeRepublic www.ukerepublic.com he can help you with all those choices but the Mele.

And shameless plug, but I have a Mele in the marketplace. It was a $950 instrument.

Some real deals from Covered Bridge

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Covered-Bridge-Ukuleles/194736710602006?sk=photos

For example, look at this mahogany tenor for $400!!!!! I'd probably pay a little extra if needed and get a redwood top.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...Mahogany-Tenor&highlight=covered+bridge+tenor

Bet you dollars to donuts that after you have it a while, you won't just be playing kids music any more. Lots of current and "former" guitar players here !!!

PS: If you want to go cheaper, but still not get junk, check this one out! Can always upgrade when you discover you love ukes!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?64208-FS-Ohana-TK-35CG-Tenor-cutaway

Last edited:
Smoovep,

I am going to assume you live in Denver, so here's my recommendation. Go to the Denver UkeFest (http://swallowhillmusic.org/events-and-festivals/ukefest/) and try out a bunch of ukuleles and then decide. The festival is in mid-May and there will be a number of vendors there to try out their wares. I'm in central Denver - if you want I can let you try out my two ukuleles - a Fluke (high G) and a Mya-Moe (low G).

Best of Luck.

I don't have one to sell, but +1 on the Pono recommendations.

Smoovep,

I am going to assume you live in Denver, so here's my recommendation. Go to the Denver UkeFest (http://swallowhillmusic.org/events-and-festivals/ukefest/) and try out a bunch of ukuleles and then decide. The festival is in mid-May and there will be a number of vendors there to try out their wares. I'm in central Denver - if you want I can let you try out my two ukuleles - a Fluke (high G) and a Mya-Moe (low G).

Best of Luck.

Best advice ever. Uke fests are a great place to try out a bunch of ukes. But that's IF you can wait a few weeks (and it's ok if you can't! I'm not a good wait-er myself).

I say Pono... i have only one uke and it's a Pono MHTSH-E and i am upgrading really soon, so i'm willing to sell it.... it has a Oahu case, fishman pick-up, humifier, (originally purchased at Hawaii Music Supply, May 2010) and i had a guitar strap button placed on professionally.... it's really an amazing uke that i would be willing to let go of for $625 shipped..... or we can negotiate.... let me know... it really is gorgeous.... as an early adopter of an uke go low-g tenor.... seamless transition that has the sound of an uke and guitar... having come from a bass, guitar, and song writer background it's the way to go... :D

Top Bottom