Help need advice on a George Formby Banjo Uke

colbecks

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to all this forum stuff, so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I Work in a music shop and have recently had a customer bring in a ukulele she wants to sell, i have no idea what it is worth and dont want to rip her off.

It is a rather old looking uke banjo with a maple resonator and maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. On the headstock is a metal badge with a picture of george formby and underneath it says george formby registered.

It is in a leather british made g.h & s. case

I am going to try to upload a photo, but being new to this and a little slow it may not work. Also in the photo there is no bridge or strings but i have those and will put them on to sell it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MikeIMAG0306.jpg

Well BlueLatitude it could be yours, it is for sale i just dont know what its worth so if you want to make an offer i can let the owner know and tell you what she says, obvisously I will fit Aquila strings and the original bridge before it does sell so it would be all set up.

Mike

If you go to ebay's great Britians website and search for that you may get an idea what they are going for. I would say at least $100. Probably more if it's in good condition but that's only a guess.

GH&S is George Houghton & Sons - they were made in Birmingham. You might find something on this site, sorry I'm in a rush and can't search it for you right now! I'm sure you'll find more information now though. They come up quite often on ebay.co.uk. Good luck!

http://freespace.virgin.net/dennis.taylor/index.htm

It appears to be a Dallas George Formby Model D. If that's in fact what it is, it's a reasonably desirable uke. The Model D is a concert uke, while all the other models in the Dallas Formby line are sopranos. You don't say where you're located, but I imagine it would sell much higher in the UK, where Formby is an icon, than in the US, where he's not as well known. The ebay auction referenced above is an unusually high price, IMHO, (and would equal about US$1100, not 1400) but I would expect a good example to sell for £400-500 and an unusually good one might go a bit higher. Tons of good info on the Dallas banjo ukes here:

http://freespace.virgin.net/dennis.taylor/Page_26_dallas_banjo_ukulele.htm

You are correct Rich, don't know what I was thinking when I stated 1400.00. Needless to say, I'm sure it will bring a good buck or pound!

Hi,

I am new to all this forum stuff, so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I Work in a music shop and have recently had a customer bring in a ukulele she wants to sell, i have no idea what it is worth and dont want to rip her off.

It is a rather old looking uke banjo with a maple resonator and maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. On the headstock is a metal badge with a picture of george formby and underneath it says george formby registered.

It is in a leather british made g.h & s. case

I am going to try to upload a photo, but being new to this and a little slow it may not work. Also in the photo there is no bridge or strings but i have those and will put them on to sell it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MikeView attachment 36766

are you selling this in the shop or on this forum because I am interested.

Top Bottom