Nice Project Uke

I'm 99% sure thats a "Nunes" the veneer slice at the butt to hide the staple scarfe joint is the way they did it.

Maybe it's this one: http://www.ukulele.org/?Videos

I love revisiting this video. Some day I want to set up and try building just like this...and just this fast! It's such a bizarre system of making the things...the back brace goes in before the back brace goes on (some of the Spanish guitar makers do this), but the back goes on before the top does, too. I guess you could clean up excess glue around the back brace(s) and kerfing, but I doubt that they bothered. Note the fretting method...his hammer has a chisel face for creating burrs on the tang of the fret wire. He hammers them in, cuts the fret wire, and then bangs the fret sideways to really lock the burs in. It's a little like the old Fender "shoot the frets in from the side" trick. I love the trimming of the excess top and back with what looks like a boat builder's "slick"...a very wide chisel. Bet the luthier could have shaved with that sucker. Glue cure time aside, I'd bet he could assemble a uke in less than two hours with parts on hand.

Yeah, I'm going with the Nunes identification. He did that peghead early on, and the shape is right. Of course, given that sides were hand bent and there was no conventional mold, the shapes shifted from one to the next.

Looks like a nice project...there doesn't seem to be much serious damage to fix.
Is it just me or is the neck off-center??

Top Bottom