photo3.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 142
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 137
  • photo6.jpg
    photo6.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 139
Hi Rick, if you have any more nice ukes you don't want to be paid for, let me know right away. I am looking for free high end ukes as we speak!

Hi Rick, if you have any more nice ukes you don't want to be paid for, let me know right away. I am looking for free high end ukes as we speak!

I get it, you're making light of a hard working, respected luthier getting ****ed over for no reason!

Yup.

Still not funny.

Mod edit: please watch your language. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick: Is this the one you mentioned in luthier forum? hehe, if yes the seller should mention about previous fixing work too.

That is the very one, sad to say.

It's a great sounding uke that we took to the limit with the thinning of the top. I'm confident it's good for the long haul...that Adirondack spruce is really tough, but yes, you can see some bellying of the top behind the bridge. We reset the neck to compensate for the rise in the top.

The Brazilian rosewood in that one is as beautiful as in any pre-war Martin guitar...it's as good as it gets. It's old stuff, and though we have a few more sets, when they're gone, you'll not see the like again very often from anyone.

It's a great sounding uke that we took to the limit with the thinning of the top. I'm confident it's good for the long haul...that Adirondack spruce is really tough, but yes, you can see some bellying of the top behind the bridge. We reset the neck to compensate for the rise in the top.

The Brazilian rosewood in that one is as beautiful as in any pre-war Martin guitar...it's as good as it gets. It's old stuff, and though we have a few more sets, when they're gone, you'll not see the like again very often from anyone.

Adirondack spruce and BRW sets are like an ultimate combo for uke and guitars, whoever buy this uke will be happier than ever.
Thanks for chiming in and give your perspective in details.

Hey Rick. I had been following your thread in the luthiers lounge since yesterday and am sorry to hear that this is the uke in question. It is a beautiful example of your work. I know that you didn't want to "out" the seller, but do we now know by putting two and two together?

I have inquired about it from the seller, but have yet to hear back from him. I do feel that he should have mentioned the repair work in his intitial post, even if as the builder, you feel that it will be good for the long haul.

Once again, what a beauty.

For my taste, which is admittedly for tenor ukes that sound like small classical guitars, the Adirondack/rosewood combo is the top of our line. The Adi can be taken thin, so it's very responsive, and the rosewood gives that almost reverb-like sustain. And the most extreme of the rosewoods that I've built with in terms of that reflective resonant tone are Honduras, Mpinga (African blackwood), Cocobolo, Cambodian, and the ne plus ultra, Brazilian.

I find it extremely disappointing and upsetting that Rick hasn't been paid for this uke.

Last edited:
I find it extremely disappointing and upsetting that Rick hasn't been paid for this uke.

Indeed. I wouldn't want to do business with the party who hasn't paid, nor with any company they might be associated with. I hope this matter gets resolved swiftly.

Last edited:
Hi Rick

Indeed. I wouldn't want to do business with the party who hasn't paid, nor with any company they might be associated with. I hope this matter gets resolved swiftly.

Just call me up Rick. It's Andrew from HMS. We will pay for it today. I have witnessed Mike paying off builders one by one since we have worked together. He is doing the best he can and in the past few weeks told me 3 maybe 4 times he had to pay you. I want to take care of these things but don't want to step on his toes because he has been covering his last debts from going out of business because he couldn't run his business from a hospital. But anyway, my cell is 808-781-9168. I wish you had called and talked with me. He heavily promoted and supported your instruments for years. We never have, but they a fantastic ukes. Call me because I know Mike really has been wanting to take care of this. He has no ill intent. Just still getting back on his feet.

I hope that someone closes this thread--this strikes me as being a very good place to end it. All those involved are people we admire and respect.

Just call me up Rick. It's Andrew from HMS. We will pay for it today. I have witnessed Mike paying off builders one by one since we have worked together. He is doing the best he can and in the past few weeks told me 3 maybe 4 times he had to pay you. I want to take care of these things but don't want to step on his toes because he has been covering his last debts from going out of business because he couldn't run his business from a hospital. But anyway, my cell is 808-781-9168. I wish you had called and talked with me. He heavily promoted and supported your instruments for years. We never have, but they a fantastic ukes. Call me because I know Mike really has been wanting to take care of this. He has no ill intent. Just still getting back on his feet.

I'll call.

For the record, I'd like to point out that I, too, was in the hospital last year...prostate cancer surgery. I, too, had a tough year. Not a pissing contest, no pity party, but we've all got our issues.

So I'm sympathetic, but have been pushed over the edge on this thing over the past couple of months. Having to repair the uke...for free...seeing other rosewood/spruce ukes being promoted...with nothing of mine on order...and then seeing this uke up for sale was just the breaking point for me. Being out of sight seems to have meant I was out of mind. Had to change the rules of engagement to get attention...

Thanks for posting this Andrew. Even though this issue is from before HMS starting to work with you (and thus not HMS' fault in any way) that fact that you're willing to help resolve it shows that HMS (and MGM) are honorable, trustworthy, and good people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom