my elbow hurts!

hugoestr

Reaction score
This is my first entry after my introduction.

In my office, I have spent a year working on a bad workstation that made my the elbow of my playing hand hurt. It got so bad that I had to stop playing uke since May :( (What I really need here is a crying smiley)

Okay, so now here is my question: is there anything that I can do so that when I play uke again it won't hurt my elbow? Is there a better way of holding the uke? Should I get a bigger one?

Anyone else with similar situations that can suggest something?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I suggest seeing a chiropractor. That's what I did.

I'm not sure if this was clever or troubling.

Anyways... What kind of motion do you use to strum? I've been trying to Strum my Uke trying to find a motion that would lead to my elbow hurting. The video lessons often tell you to use your wrist instead of the arm, so my usual problem is wrist fatigue.

what i do, usually im playing and sitting down, is pinch the guitar off my knee and the back of my bicept. put my arm at like a 45 degree and then use my wrist and use my index finger to strum...

this is just my little addition.. hope this helps

I'm not sure if this was clever or troubling....

It was a clever and snarky yet serious reply.

While all of us internet doctors can tell him what we did to help us out, he might have long term nerve damage and continuing to play might cause permanent damage. Even a real doctor wouldn't tell him what do without a proper exam.

Nothing wrong with a chiropractor. They can fix all sorts of stuff.

Hi, there,

Thanks for the answers.

I am supposed to go to a physical therapist, but I have been putting it off because

1) My workstation, the most probable culprit, wasn't changed until recently
2) I was trying to save money by doing what they were probably going to tell me to do anyone: rest arm, take anti-inflammatory pills, put cold water, etc. This strategy semi worked: my right elbow is fine now, but I am still having trouble with the left one.

I guess I will have to break down and look for a physical therapist :(

However, I posted the question here because I doubt that the physical therapist will have experience with people who play uke.

I normally strum with my hand stationary and raising up and down my arm. I will try just moving my wrist once I get this thing under control :)

However, I posted the question here because I doubt that the physical therapist will have experience with people who play uke.

You're probably right but they should understand body mechanics. If you demonstrate your playing positions and how you sit at work, they should be able to pinpoint the cause of your pain. If they can't, keep looking.

I second the chiropractor/physio. I have recently suffered, well do still suffer, workstation related rsi/tendon related pains in my hands which meant I had to stop playing the uke for over a month just recently so that I could give it time to rest. Seeing a physio has helped somewhat and I am hopeful once my workstation is sorted out that I can really get it under control. I am currently awaiting delivery of a new desk and chair.

I feel your pain though (not quite literally!), these things can be frustrating to get sorted.

Also made me realise I'm so much of a spring chicken these days!

Well, reading over these entries made me get on the phone can call a number of physical therapist office. Maybe I can bring along my uke and they can give me some insight on how to play without hurting myself in the process.

I also just realized that the handles of chair don't let me get my arm in the neutral position :S I may have to bring a seat to prop me up. :(

As a guy who makes his money putting office furniture together. I'm rather curious as to what changes you all had done to your workstations to alleviate the strains it was putting on you.
Were they simple height adjustments on the surfaces? Ergonomic Keyboard trays etc...?

I do stuff like that all the time, but I never hear about it from the other end.

Update on my elbow: it is healed!

This is an update to an old thread. A couple of months ago I posted here that my elbow hurt. Thanks to the advice given here, I went to the physical therapist during October and November. I wouldn't have gone to the therapist if it weren't for this thread. :)

Now I am healed! Now I can play the ukulele again! :music:Thanks guys! :worship:

Top Bottom