Jake Shimabukuro iPad lesson

uke2020

Reaction score
Hi, anyone have any experience using the iPad app featuring Jake?

http://onthepathapp.com/?page_id=609

Is it worth getting an iPad for? That is, will I play like Jake (even a little bit)? His new song book is way out of my league, but wondering if this tutorial would be much easier to learn from.

I purchased it but have not followed through all the way due to time and unfortunately, a lack of commitment to actually learn it at this time.I own it so I know I will always have it for when I am ready to commit. However, I can tell you that if you are willing to spend the time and are committed to the learning- it is a great program. it is filmed beautifully and you can see everything, all of the fingering, so clearly. Plus, Jake is a natural in front of the camera. He is so easy going and natural that you want to learn. I met Jake last week and I mentioned this to him and about how inviting he is in this video. At the conclusion, if you really give it the time, you should be able to play "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Granted- it won't sound like Jake but it can be pretty good. The reason I say it wont sound like Jake because after having met the man and experienced his playing one-to-one, I realized that what makes Jake so different is that his very essence, his soul, is in his music. it is not just the notes or the technique, but his spirit. Jake teaches the notes and the technique in this video.As for soul and spirit- that is what you must bring to it.

Last edited:
The app is very good and Jakes lesson is excellent, and makes good use of the technology the app offers. If its the only reason you're buying the iPad I don't think it's worth it, invest in some private lessons with a qualified instructor.

After Ed's review, I couldn't resist the app. Before I had the iPad I wasn't sure I "needed" an iPad, tight finances and all, and now it's hard to imagine being without it. UU videos are so convenient to use on it too. You may find that it's a worthwhile purchase on many counts.

And yes, the tutorial is divided into sections and starts with the very basics.

Edit to add: A great feature of this app is that in the lessons it lets you slow down the video playback to whatever speed you want! And you can also loop any section you designate to play over and over.

Last edited:
Also, being able to watch both of his hands on split screen have really helped me. I agree with what efiscella said "it won't sound like Jake", but when I don't sound like Jake it's pretty cool to be able to study in slow motion what he is doing and compare it to how I'm playing the same notes. So I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm learning a lot about what creates a more pleasant sounding tone.

The ideal would be to have Jake do one of these lessons for every song in the transcription book because it's such a better way to learn the songs. But don't look for that to happen. I had the good fortune to talk to him after the Springfield, Il show last November and asked him if he would be working on more music path apps. He was quick to say probably not because of the time required to be invested. He added that he initially had been working on an instructional DVD and found out that creating one was really difficult.

As to is it worth it to buy an Ipad just for this app? No, but it's the neatest app I have on my Ipad.

Top Bottom